Thai PM says security must come first to boost foreign confidence

webfact

Thai PM says security must come first to boost foreign confidence
BANGKOK

(Reuters) - Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha on Monday called on Thais to be the "eyes and ears" of security forces in order to boost international confidence in Thailand after the second explosion in the capital Bangkok in just over a month.

Police have detained three people in connection with the grenade explosion which occurred on Saturday night outside Bangkok's Ratchadaphisek Criminal Court. No one was hurt in the attack.

"We ask the public to be the eyes and ears of authorities because security must come first. We must rebuild confidence for foreigners," Prayuth told reporters. "I will not bow to bad people."

Thailand remains under martial law and military leaders say they have no plans to lift it. The law has kept away some visitors, as they are unable to buy travel insurance for countries under martial law.

Full story: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/03/09/uk-thailand-blast-idUKKBN0M508B20150309

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-03-09

Who has the motive to detonate these harmless bombs in harmless places? Who is trying to convince the population and the international community that martial law is still needed? Who is paranoid about the real opposition they face from ordinary people and therefore need to perpetuate martial law? Who benefits from stitching up their political opponents?

You are fantasising again.

Has it ever occured to you that it could be that this Government is not involved with cheap stunts, but on the contrary trying the best for this country?

I know, hard to convince you and others.

But I hope one day you will take the blinkers off and face reality.

In the meantime keep on posting rubbish on TVF.

That's the only thing you can do, after all.

• Like 2

This is probably why some tour companies have their incomes cut in half - compared to last years income figures. I am sure these tour companies are very thankful for the lower tour income. More Free Time for facebook!!!

Are you so full of the kool aid Costas that you're unable to think outside the box and entertain the art of deception? ?

it is not a case of drinking the Koolaid.

It is deductive reasoning and probability of outcomes.

The PM, or any Thai really ... invested in face, would not smash an egg on his own, to then ask for help wiping it off.

A false flag in this case might be someting like "finding' a device and disarming it just in time, and the need to be on the lookout for these criminals.

No, it does not serve the PM in anyway to have actual explosions on his watch.

You have exposed, in my opinion, a very shallow grasp of Thai culture. It is contra face saving to be attacked and have no response short of "i need help."

What makes me sad is wrapping this in "for the sake of foreigners and foreign investment."

I wish he had said, "While I am PM, no one will harm a Thai citizen for any political gain, damage our property, tarnish our reputation or interfere with our cooperative foreign investments. There will be zero tolerance and no safe harbor for internal or international acts of terrorism in the Kingdom."

But that is just me. I think the PM is doing his best, and slowly but surely turning this ship around.

Edited by Guest

The PM still don't get it that it's the coup and martial law that is degrading foreign confidence. Hold an election and that will bring back foreign confidence. Unfortunately that wouldnt happen too soon as he only listen to himself.

• Like 2

Who has the motive to detonate these harmless bombs in harmless places? Who is trying to convince the population and the international community that martial law is still needed? Who is paranoid about the real opposition they face from ordinary people and therefore need to perpetuate martial law? Who benefits from stitching up their political opponents?

Who benefits from using war weapons in an attempt to discredit the current leadership of Thailand? Who is trying to convince the world that the current leadership can't maintain order? Who has a history of using war weapons against symbols of the Judiciary? Who benefits from putting violence in Thailand into the international news?

Oh... That would be Thaksin's red shirts...

• Like 1

Maybe you better rethink your actions Mr. Pm getting in bed with the likes Of China Who at present claims all of the China sea which your neighbors boarder on, Then your Buddy in North Korea that fat bald crazy knucklehead, Russia another Pearl of wisdom and peace. what do you think the world thinks to believe your going to just be friends or get tips on suppressing your citizens? All 3 places that don't believe in freedom of any type.

Being an American, I can point out the Patriot Act.... The NSA... ETC.

But this has nothing to do with China or any other country... It is a Thai issue

All warfare is based on deception- Sun Tzu

Ever read any Chinese historical novels, seen films of them. The plots are incredibly convoluted and there's always several twists at the end. Some really great ones with Jet Li and/or Chow Yun Fat starring.

So the current government could be doing this to discredit Thaksin and justify martial law; or Thaksin could be doing it so he can claim the junta are doing it to discredit him and as an excuse for martial law; and so on.

Or then again it could be really simple. The usual red shirt warning to the judiciary when Shin are about to be tried,

• Like 1

I get the impression that they now want to build up a large scale informer network among the ordinary population. The Stasi were experts at that. Shame they are now out of business.

Building an informer network - you mean like all the Western countries' security services are doing in the fight against terrorism?

• Like 1

How about tourist safety Mr PM? The world can see that two Burmese are getting stitched up for a crime that some connected high so Thais committed, you also endorsed the sham of an investigation.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Back on that one. Of course you've seen all the evidence and know exactly who, why and how the crime was committed. Read it on Facebook.

• Like 1

How about tourist safety Mr PM? The world can see that two Burmese are getting stitched up for a crime that some connected high so Thais committed, you also endorsed the sham of an investigation.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Back on that one. Of course you've seen all the evidence and know exactly who, why and how the crime was committed. Read it on Facebook.

No but we do know how completely unprofessional the investigation was from the very beginning, I could be here all day long listing the inconsistencies, most other countries in the world it would of been laughed out of court.

But then we would venture too far off topic, plenty of threads about that on the forum.

Who benefits from using war weapons in an attempt to discredit the current leadership of Thailand? Who is trying to convince the world that the current leadership can't maintain order? Who has a history of using war weapons against symbols of the Judiciary? Who benefits from putting violence in Thailand into the international news?

Oh... That would be Thaksin's red shirts...

It was hardly a weapon of war, a home made ping pong bomb not a scud missile.

And foreign governments and the UN say the lifting of martial law and a return to democracy is what is needed. I guess the PM knows more about foreigners than they do and he knows what's best for them. I guess when things go pear shaped he can blame it on the stupid foreigners who didn't know what was best for them.

Edited by chooka

I get the impression that they now want to build up a large scale informer network among the ordinary population. The Stasi were experts at that. Shame they are now out of business.

It wouldn't be the first time that this has been tried in Thailand, it's just history repeating itself.

I didn't read anything or see on the OZ news, information about the 'bombing'? Little international press coverage?

Does sound like a beat up?

Foreign investment confidence would be assisted more by holding an election with a government be elected by the ballot process. Just call me old fashioned, but that would be what I see as the stumbling block to foreign investment?

So the reason for the coup was to evict a corrupt government? Then elections would be held. This now can't happen because of a perceived threat now permeating in Thailand?

• Like 1

It is nice to see the Thai people are on this forum as well as us Farangs, and expats,

but the ones who are still supporting the Red Shirts, and will say what they can to

try discredit the PM and the present government, should be more discrete about it.

I for one, am very happy to see the country getting back on its feet. I am glad to see

some of the corrupt people of the past getting hard times on themselves, and

I hope the present PM keeps cleaning up some of the crap the country

has found itself in because of the past policies of the last PM, and her brother.

just my Farang opinion of course

It is nice to see the Thai people are on this forum as well as us Farangs, and expats,

but the ones who are still supporting the Red Shirts, and will say what they can to

try discredit the PM and the present government, should be more discrete about it.

I for one, am very happy to see the country getting back on its feet. I am glad to see

has found itself in because of the past policies of the last PM, and her brother.

It is actually the attitude of some timid frarangs that is the most worrisome. You support coup leaders and then warn others not to discredit them. If what they did was an act conscious,, it will bear scrutiny. It is some of the westerner's attittude that is the most frightening. So much is learned about the decline of western values by reading posts such as yours.

It is actually the attitude of some timid frarangs that is the most worrisome. You support coup leaders and then warn others not to discredit them. If what they did was an act conscious,, it will bear scrutiny. It is some of the westerner's attittude that is the most frightening. So much is learned about the decline of western values by reading posts such as yours.

Their naive nature is also worrisome. If they bothered to read up on Thai history since 1932 they'd know about the heroes in greens own very murky, brutal and corruption filled past. Like they think corruption started and ended with the Shinwatras.

Blind fools.

Edited by lildragon
  • Like 2