Why it's best not to stop at a Beach Rd pedestrian light!

Wasa

It's no good banging on at each other. There is an element of truth in both viewpoints.

As I said in a previous post the City Hall, some time ago, announced the scheme had been a failure and would be discontinued.

The reasoning was that the 'monitoring' had shown there was much confusion and inconsistency for both vehicle drivers and pedestrians. This made the situation more dangerous and could/would/may lead to major accidents. It was clear that pedestrian lights were alien to many Thai drivers on Beach Road or anywhere else. They are simply not used to them as many westerner's are, and that is a statement of fact, not a dig at Thai drivers. A baht bus driver is more likely to have his eye on the pavement area looking for passengers rather than whether the lights are turning red.

It was therefore agreed they should be discontinued, but not dug up of course.

Now they are back on and I have no idea why. It may simply be that someone in City Hall, or the military/police has decided that they should be re-instated as part of the new regime's clean up of Beach Road.

I would like to see the scheme being successful, but that would require a police presence at each set of lights for days, if not weeks, dishing out tickets until the idea of stopping was ingrained into the heads of speeding drivers. That is unlikely to happen.

I think it would have been also a good idea if they made the pedestrian lights a bit more visible.

First of all they are placed much higher than the traffic lights at cross sections, and the lower light on the pole should be at drivers side, where it is now at passenger side.

I admit I fail to notice almost every pedestrian light in Pattaya for those very reasons, while I never fail to notice a traffic light at a cross section.

OK Keester. I will humour you. No accidents on Beach Rd. at the red lights.....never happens. They switched off the lights just for something to do.....

Humoring you too.....

Could be. Who knows, because there is NO EVIDENCE to say otherwise.

And it polite to place a @ before a users name so he gets notification that somebody is talking about him and not doing it behind his back.

Whatever.

It's no good banging on at each other. There is an element of truth in both viewpoints.

As I said in a previous post the City Hall, some time ago, announced the scheme had been a failure and would be discontinued.

The reasoning was that the 'monitoring' had shown there was much confusion and inconsistency for both vehicle drivers and pedestrians. This made the situation more dangerous and could/would/may lead to major accidents. It was clear that pedestrian lights were alien to many Thai drivers on Beach Road or anywhere else. They are simply not used to them as many westerner's are, and that is a statement of fact, not a dig at Thai drivers. A baht bus driver is more likely to have his eye on the pavement area looking for passengers rather than whether the lights are turning red.

Now they are back on and I have no idea why. It may simply be that someone in City Hall, or the military/police has decided that they should be re-instated as part of the new regime's clean up of Beach Road.

I would like to see the scheme being successful, but that would require a police presence at each set of lights for days, if not weeks, dishing out tickets until the idea of stopping was ingrained into the heads of speeding drivers. That is unlikely to happen.

A much better description of why they maybe were turned off. Thank you for bringing some sanity into the discussion.

BTW there was a police presence at the lights when they were first turned on. Helping both pedestrians cross and ensuring drivers stopped. How long it lasted I have no idea. But it didn't work judging by what happens at those lights still on.

What a waste of taxpayers money. But I'm sure there are some people out the happy with their cut.

I think it would have been also a good idea if they made the pedestrian lights a bit more visible.

First of all they are placed much higher than the traffic lights at cross sections, and the lower light on the pole should be at drivers side, where it is now at passenger side.

I admit I fail to notice almost every pedestrian light in Pattaya for those very reasons, while I never fail to notice a traffic light at a cross section.

Funny I manage to see them all clearly. Must be because I'm on a motorbike with nothing to hinder my vision.

Correct.

The lights made the situation more dangerous and led to major accidents. It was then decided the lights were a failure and safer to turn the newly installed light off.

A quick look at the Pattaya newspapers reveal numerous accidents and deaths.

Recently it was decided to turn them on again (just sometimes) and recent eyewitness reports confirm the return of the dangerous situation.

Funny I manage to see them all clearly. Must be because I'm on a motorbike with nothing to hinder my vision.

Indeed in a car you are limited by a roof. Wonder what the logic is for placing them much higher than regular traffic lights.

Well after all, since the budget was only 200.000.000 Baht you can't expect much do you.

The biggest mistake they have made is to make an extra lane down Beach Road. It is now a race track for coaches and baht buses. It is a frightening experience trying to get to the beach. You think one of these coaches is going to stop for you on a pelican crossing, even if the light is showing red for them to stop. No chance!

The red lights need to be turned off as they lull pedestrians into a false since of security.

Any driver stopping at the lights are putting themselves in extreme danger.

I have just returned from a ride on my motorbike down beach road all the way from dolphin roundabout to the beginning of walking street.

14 pelican crossings and 1 zebra.

Only 1 pelican seemed to be turned on. I waited at each until somebody tried to use it so I'm fairly confident with the numbers.

At the one & on red all vehicles stopped and there were NO rear end crashes.

At the off ones I observed various factors hindering its use. Please remember that without the lights working a pelican returns to a zebra. So vehicles are supposed to stop when there is a pedestrian wanting to cross. Pelicans first introduced in the UK as pandas actually give fair use of the road to both vehicle and pedestrian where zebras are one sided in favour of pedestrians.

One had a motorbike parked over it at one end. 1 had policemen stopping the cars, with NO rear end collisions, and assisting the tourists across. 1 had a car blocking it. 1 a chair and 1 a Gunpai security van blocking it. At many of the non working lights various tourists of all nationalities tried pushing the button, waiting and after a few minutes realised something was not working made their own way across. Some gingerly, some with great dignity holding out their hand to stop traffic and make themselves better seen. At one was a crowd of disabled in wheelchairs with their able bodied friends. 3 young ladies walked out into the crossing distancing themselves equally across and holding their arms outstretched, police fashion, to stop the traffic, with NO rear end collisions. When they considered it safe to cross the disabled made their way and the rest of the party followed. These girls got a double thumbs up from me and we chatted a while. I observed about 40 jaywalkers. Mostly Chinese or Korean in groups lead by their leader with a flag on a stick. In each case they crossed about 20 metres away from a crossing and then proceeded up the path/road towards the crossing until I lost sight of them. Each set of lights has low level lights on both sides of the street. So whoever said that is completely in the wrong.

So in totally I witnessed about a hundred or more people cross the road without incident. But some had to take matters into their own hands to do so. NO rear end accidents or any other kind of accidents were observed either at the working ones where the vehicles obeyed the red, or at the non working ones where the vehicles stopped of their own accord to give preference to the pedestrians. This is just one survey and should not be taken as the general way it is. It was refreshing to see that nobody was hurt and that their were NO vehicle collisions and that the lights even if not working were on BOTH sides of the street if a bit high. But they were there.

Spacing of the crossings leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes 3 or 4 bunched close together and then a long stretch of nothing. That needs serious attention. To stop the jaywalkers which must be annoying to the vehicle drivers, they were to me, a barrier could be constructed at the beach side with gaps only where there are crossings.

I hope this will dispelled some of the myths and lies about rear end collisions and no lights on beach road side.

It could get a lot better and I hope it does.

• Like 1

Correct.

The lights made the situation more dangerous and led to major accidents. It was then decided the lights were a failure and safer to turn the newly installed light off.

A quick look at the Pattaya newspapers reveal numerous accidents and deaths.

Recently it was decided to turn them on again (just sometimes) and recent eyewitness reports confirm the return of the dangerous situation.

Incorrect I've observed completely the opposite regarding regarding the return of the dangerous situation which I'm still to be convinced was ever there in the first place. Edited by Keesters

I have just returned from a ride on my motorbike down beach road all the way from dolphin roundabout to the beginning of walking street.

Only 1 pelican seemed to be turned on. I waited at each until somebody tried to use it so I'm fairly confident with the numbers.

At the off ones I observed various factors hindering its use. Please remember that without the lights working a pelican returns to a zebra. So vehicles are supposed to stop when there is a pedestrian wanting to cross. Pelicans first introduced in the UK as pandas actually give fair use of the road to both vehicle and pedestrian where zebras are one sided in favour of pedestrians.

One had a motorbike parked over it at one end. 1 had policemen stopping the cars, with NO rear end collisions, and assisting the tourists across. 1 had a car blocking it. 1 a chair and 1 a Gunpai security van blocking it. At many of the non working lights various tourists of all nationalities tried pushing the button, waiting and after a few minutes realised something was not working made their own way across. Some gingerly, some with great dignity holding out their hand to stop traffic and make themselves better seen. At one was a crowd of disabled in wheelchairs with their able bodied friends. 3 young ladies walked out into the crossing distancing themselves equally across and holding their arms outstretched, police fashion, to stop the traffic, with NO rear end collisions. When they considered it safe to cross the disabled made their way and the rest of the party followed. These girls got a double thumbs up from me and we chatted a while. I observed about 40 jaywalkers. Mostly Chinese or Korean in groups lead by their leader with a flag on a stick. In each case they crossed about 20 metres away from a crossing and then proceeded up the path/road towards the crossing until I lost sight of them. Each set of lights has low level lights on both sides of the street. So whoever said that is completely in the wrong.

So in totally I witnessed about a hundred or more people cross the road without incident. But some had to take matters into their own hands to do so. NO rear end accidents or any other kind of accidents were observed either at the working ones where the vehicles obeyed the red, or at the non working ones where the vehicles stopped of their own accord to give preference to the pedestrians. This is just one survey and should not be taken as the general way it is. It was refreshing to see that nobody was hurt and that their were NO vehicle collisions and that the lights even if not working were on BOTH sides of the street if a bit high. But they were there.

Spacing of the crossings leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes 3 or 4 bunched close together and then a long stretch of nothing. That needs serious attention. To stop the jaywalkers which must be annoying to the vehicle drivers, they were to me, a barrier could be constructed at the beach side with gaps only where there are crossings.

I hope this will dispelled some of the myths and lies about rear end collisions and no lights on beach road side.

Pelicans, pandas and zebras? Try explaining that to the tailgating mini van driver riding my ass.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif
Pandas don't exist anymore not that there is a terrible lot of difference between them and pelicans. Red light and zebras are part of the Thai driving license test so there is no need for me to explain anything they all ready know. As to riding your ass I experimented with that today approaching Big C extra. A mini bus was doing just that to me so I did a short sharp brake. He immediately slowed down with a screech of his brakes. No rear end accident. He may be close but he can and will stop. And that is my 30 year experience driving both motorcycle and cars. NEVER been rear ended.

BTW after scaring the **** out of the mini bus he kept his distance and I saw him head off towards the self service laundry.

Edited by Keesters

Pelicans, pandas and zebras? Try explaining that to the tailgating mini van driver riding my ass.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Pandas don't exist anymore not that there is a terrible lot of difference between them and pelicans. Red light and zebras are part of the Thai driving license test so there is no need for me to explain anything they all ready know. As yo riding your ass I experimented with that today approaching Big C extra. A mini bus was doing just that to me so I NSF a short sharp brake. He immediately slowed down with a screech of his brakes. No rear end accident. He may be close but he can and will stop. An that is my 30 year experience driving both motorcycle and cars. NEVER been rear ended.

3o years of driving and your slamming your brakes in front of a Thai mini van driver?

Edited by joesanunu

It was clear that pedestrian lights were alien to many Thai drivers on Beach Road or anywhere else. They are simply not used to them as many westerner's are, and that is a statement of fact, not a dig at Thai drivers. A baht bus driver is more likely to have his eye on the pavement area looking for passengers rather than whether the lights are turning red.

Whats alien to Thai drivers is any kind of consideration for others Not being used to red lights is no excuse or apology for their reckless selfish mentality.The statement of fact is that everyone knows that a red light at a pedestrian crossing means to stop. Forget about ingraining any change in these peoples driving habits which would first require ingraining correct traffic enforcement. Again: Ya all can talk about red lights and amber lights until the cows come home - the only safe crossing is a pedestrian overpass .End of story

Edited by morrobay

It was clear that pedestrian lights were alien to many Thai drivers on Beach Road or anywhere else. They are simply not used to them as many westerner's are, and that is a statement of fact, not a dig at Thai drivers. A baht bus driver is more likely to have his eye on the pavement area looking for passengers rather than whether the lights are turning red.

Whats alien to Thai drivers is any kind of consideration for others Not being used to red lights is no excuse or apology for their reckless selfish mentality.The statement of fact is that everyone knows that a red light at a pedestrian crossing means to stop. Forget about ingraining any change in these peoples driving habits which would first require ingraining correct traffic enforcement. Again: Ya all can talk about red lights and amber lights until the cows come home - the only safe crossing is a pedestrian overpass .End of story

Which would be of no use to the group of disabled people I met yesterday crossing beach road.

There has been a landmark case in Bangkok recently where the BMA has been told to make the BTS more wheelchair friendly. And here you are suggesting the opposite for Pattaya which is probably the friendliest city in Thailand for the disabled. Ask at the Redemptorist center how they feel about pedestrian overpasses. The answer will be clearly NO.

So the story continues because you have not thought it through.

Edited by Keesters

I have sympathy for the disabled. Especially the ones that are lulled into a false sense of security at a Beach Road signal.

Thai MiniVan drivers, and speeding Busses barreling on thru, dodging pedestrians and 'shooting the gap' between the disabled in the wheelchairs.

Just turn off those dangerous signals. They just confuse people.

Is that what you want? Confused pedestrians walking in front of speeding MiniVans and busses.

I have sympathy for the disabled. Especially the ones that are lulled into a false sense of security at a Beach Road signal.

Thai MiniVan drivers, and speeding Busses barreling on thru, dodging pedestrians and 'shooting the gap' between the disabled in the wheelchairs.

Just turn off those dangerous signals. They just confuse people.

Is that what you want? Confused pedestrians walking in front of speeding MiniVans and busses.

No the vehicles should slow down, obey the speed limit and observe the red lights which should be turned ON. You are treating the symptoms not providing a cure.

The cure has been provided at great cost to the city tax payers. Now they won't swallow the bitter pill.

Ignorant, selfish, vehicle drivers. Well those that you keep on about not those that I observed yesterday who were in the main polite and slowed down and even stopped to allow pedestrians, including the disabled, to cross.

Edited by Keesters

Traffic lights don't turn red all of sudden, they have an amber light first, maybe the OP should pay more attention to traffic situations while riding his bike.

He didn't see the cars behind him either. So he wasn't looking forwards or back, he must have been looking to the side, now I wonder what was on Beach Road that was so worthy of his attention???

I've been curious why the BIB don't see these pedestrian crossing lights as a potential cash cow. If they just sat at a crosswalk continually pushing the button for an hour, just think of the tea money, or in the case of non-corrupt officers, the amount of money coming into the city treasury.