Why it's best not to stop at a Beach Rd pedestrian light!

Wasa

I am always nervous approaching any light turning red. Do i stop, as i should, and risk someone running into the back of me, or keep going and risk someone jumping the light the other way running into me. I certainly wouldn't stop for a pedestrian red light.

My hero i would have done the same as you,because i was taught the highway code which as we all know doesn't apply within thailad,but applause to you my man.

Yes, but your hero, jumped the red light at the end.

So, not a hero of mine and my advice to him is to be more aware of what is happening around him, when driving, and not suddenly come to awkward situations.

• Like 1

They did stop lots of drivers when the lights where first turned on.... lasted for about the first 2 weeks then they went back to

catching foreigners with no helmet or licence maybe more lucrative.

Edited by johng

I think it is slightly unfair to criticise the OP for not 'being aware of the traffic around him'. In fact it's a slightly smug remark.

Not having encountered the lights on beach road, I am unable to say whether there is, or is not, an amber warning light. Even if there is, it still poses the same dilemma for the OP and others. Does he ignore amber, which in the UK is 'prepare to stop', or does he ignore that, on the basis the vehicles behind him will not do the same.?

You have the same issue on the main lights on Suk/Nua and other places. When you see the flashing arrow what goes through most westerners mind?. To me it means caution - prepare to stop. To Thai's it means speed up and get across as quick as possible.

I realise that there has to be a certain amount of adaptation whilst driving here, but I still believe we shouldn't completely compromise our standards to the extent of jumping a pedestrian red light, especially when there are people preparing to cross.

I think the OP made a slip by saying 'he was minding his own business', thus implying he was unaware of the situation around him. I'm certainly not going to be the judge of that remark.

I would have stopped.

" Does he ignore amber, which in the UK is 'prepare to stop' "

Whenever I've driven a rental car in America I have always understood amber is the same there as red in that you must actually stop on that colour as well even before the red appears? That's how I've always driven there anyway.

Mind you the traffic is a lot more orderly than Thailand.

I think it is slightly unfair to criticise the OP for not 'being aware of the traffic around him'. In fact it's a slightly smug remark.

Not having encountered the lights on beach road, I am unable to say whether there is, or is not, an amber warning light. Even if there is, it still poses the same dilemma for the OP and others. Does he ignore amber, which in the UK is 'prepare to stop', or does he ignore that, on the basis the vehicles behind him will not do the same.?

You have the same issue on the main lights on Suk/Nua and other places. When you see the flashing arrow what goes through most westerners mind?. To me it means caution - prepare to stop. To Thai's it means speed up and get across as quick as possible.

I realise that there has to be a certain amount of adaptation whilst driving here, but I still believe we shouldn't completely compromise our standards to the extent of jumping a pedestrian red light, especially when there are people preparing to cross.

I think the OP made a slip by saying 'he was minding his own business', thus implying he was unaware of the situation around him. I'm certainly not going to be the judge of that remark.

I would have stopped.

Whenever I've driven a rental car in America I have always understood amber is the same there as red in that you must actually stop on that colour as well even before the red appears? That's how I've always driven there anyway.

So in America does that mean green is prepare to stop?

• Like 1

I would have stopped.

I take your point but to all of us it is obvious you couldn't safely stop when amber came on if you were, say,5 yards from the lights. I was thinking more of when you were maybe 30/40 yards away.

In any event, it's a nightmare here and I suspect most of us have adapted a pretty savvy defensive driving mode on bike or car.

When my daughter was here she was terrified at times as a passenger and I explained that you have to develop a 'left hand mirror' strategy all the time - for motorbikes especially. I suppose us Brits are lucky that we have years of experience driving on the left. I guess it could be a nightmare for a holiday maker from another European or American country adapting to left lane driving in this madhouse.

• Like 1

I'm dumbfounded that one of those pedestrian crossing traffic lights still works!

Or turned on! Many just have a continuously flashing amber light.

If I remember correctly they flash until a pedestrian hits the button, but I might be wrong.

I have been a car driver here in Pattaya / Bkk for many years, pedestrian lights are a nightmare for pedestrians more so than drivers, for instance, one stops at a red light, someone waiting to to cross, especially a newcomer, confidently steps out onto the crossing, but fails to envisage that another car or motorcycle may overtake the car that has stopped at the red light, therefore the pedestrian is at risk from stepping blind into the path of the overtaking vehicle. I have seen many near misses in this sort of situation. This begs the question should you make a decision to stop when there is a red light showing, with a person waiting to cross, as it would be terrible to be party to a fatality, this will sound rather silly to anyone else who is not a driver here, but I think I tend to judge each case on it's merit, by that I mean, if there is no one behind me, I would always stop at a red light, but if I am being tailgated by someone just itching to overtake ??? This is just getting just to difficult to explain, except to say I have been driving here for a very long time without any sort of accident, but I will say that being a pedestrian here is fraught with danger.

• Like 1

I sympathise.

I hope these tips help.

Firstly, always try to look a long way down the road and anticipate people, cars, bikes, etc. popping out. Be aware of vehicles behind you who are driving too close.

Then, you correctly guessed your greatest danger came from vehicles behind. How much time do you have? Check mirrors only if very pushed. Then head for the kerb whilst braking if nothing is on your left, giving the tailgating idiots behind you time to swerve around you.

If you have more time, turn around and look directly at the vehicle driver behind. This works and causes the vehicle behind to back off and brake, alerting them you are about to do something. If you have enough time, put on your hazard lights. And again consider pulling in to the left if the coast is clear.

Sound your horn to alert pedestrians who are about to be killed.

Edited by Briggsy

I'm dumbfounded that one of those pedestrian crossing traffic lights still works!

Or turned on! Many just have a continuously flashing amber light.

If I remember correctly they flash until a pedestrian hits the button, but I might be wrong.

No. If they're working they are green for traffic until a pedestrian presses the button. Then there's a 8 second count- down before they turn red and the pedestrian gets the green light. When they are flashing amber it's "proceed with caution" for everyone.

I would have stopped.

So in America does that mean green is prepare to stop?

No lennyw there is no America when it comes to traffic laws. There are 50 sets of laws as per state rather than a single set. To a great extent, common sense and courtesy along with some defensive driving gets a person through most situations.

In California for instance, entering an intersection when the amber light shows is perfectly legal. But, if a car is still in the intersection as the light turns red, it is a traffic violation. Think about it and depending on the speed limit, it makes sense how that occurs.

No. If they're working they are green for traffic until a pedestrian presses the button. Then there's a 8 second count- down before they turn red and the pedestrian gets the green light. When they are flashing amber it's "proceed with caution" for everyone.

Thanks, I wasn't sure.