Why it's best not to stop at a Beach Rd pedestrian light!

Wasa

I sympathise.

I hope these tips help.

Firstly, always try to look a long way down the road and anticipate people, cars, bikes, etc. popping out. Be aware of vehicles behind you who are driving too close.

Then, you correctly guessed your greatest danger came from vehicles behind. How much time do you have? Check mirrors only if very pushed. Then head for the kerb whilst braking if nothing is on your left, giving the tailgating idiots behind you time to swerve around you.

If you have more time, turn around and look directly at the vehicle driver behind. This works and causes the vehicle behind to back off and brake, alerting them you are about to do something. If you have enough time, put on your hazard lights. And again consider pulling in to the left if the coast is clear.

Sound your horn to alert pedestrians who are about to be killed.

Briggsy. Good tips but I have one problem with your suggestions. If I look round I am usually unable to see the other driver because of those damn blacked out windows.

I honestly believe driving here could be safer if drivers could see each others body/face language. Obviously I do not have blacked out windows, but I have tried to be courteous to other drivers to pass across in front etc when they are holding up approaching traffic. But, you can't see them and get no indication of whether or not they acknowledge your invite. Sorry to go on, but I guess this happens to us all.

Doesn't matter if you can't see the driver behind, the key thing is they see you doing something unusual looking around (for Thais) and makes them wake up from their tailgating slumber and warns them something is going on.

Try it on a tailgater. It works.

My hero i would have done the same as you,because i was taught the highway code which as we all know doesn't apply within thailad,but applause to you my man.

Yes, but your hero, jumped the red light at the end.

So, not a hero of mine and my advice to him is to be more aware of what is happening around him, when driving, and not suddenly come to awkward situations.

Costos, the OP, who lives in the real world and not hiding behind a computer screen indoors, asked ' was I right to stop?'.

Assuming you do leave your screen for a short time, what would you have done under the circumstances, as outlined by the OP. No scantimonous BS, pretend you were in his/her position.

Stop at a Red light or not?

If I remember correctly they flash until a pedestrian hits the button, but I might be wrong.

No. If they're working they are green for traffic until a pedestrian presses the button. Then there's a 8 second count- down before they turn red and the pedestrian gets the green light. When they are flashing amber it's "proceed with caution" for everyone.

Well, after watching the video clip in post 13, i noticed that on most of the times the lights turned red

there wasn't anyone waiting or pressing a button to cross over, they just turned red and most drivers ignored them.

So why were they turning red when there was nobody operating them waiting to cross?

• Like 1

If I remember correctly they flash until a pedestrian hits the button, but I might be wrong.

No. If they're working they are green for traffic until a pedestrian presses the button. Then there's a 8 second count- down before they turn red and the pedestrian gets the green light. When they are flashing amber it's "proceed with caution" for everyone.

Well, after watching the video clip in post 13, i noticed that on most of the times the lights turned red

there wasn't anyone waiting or pressing a button to cross over, they just turned red and most drivers ignored them.

So why were they turning red when there was nobody operating them waiting to cross?

When they were fresh installed they switched to red every set time, and additional when the pedestrian pushed the button, but I think like with most traffic lights in Pattaya that lasted only 2 weeks before they were switched off.

I've never heard so much bullsh*t in my life! But rather typical coming from Thai Visa members!

First of all any operator of a motor vehicle (especially a two wheeled motor vehicle) should be alert of all circumstances going on around them at all times! They shouldn't be driving along minding their merry way.

As mentioned in this post those pedestrian lights don't just change to red out of the blue! They change from yellow to red.

They are all located at pedestrian crossings. Even if a pedestrian steps off a curb, you must come to a stop. Pedestrians have the right of way. If you see pedestrians waiting you should come to a gradual stop at any pedestrian crossing. They are clearly marked.

Sounds like the blaring horns were from other doing an evasive stop because the OP doing an evasive stop rather than a gradual stop. Sounds like he was driving faster than he should be and not paying attention to traffic and pedestrians.

It's not just bad Thai drivers in this country but farang drivers too! I seem to recall one TV poster mentioning something stupid about putting a highway between beach and the hotels. For your information, beach road is not a highway! It's a road with a lot of pedestrians crossing it! Hence it should be driven slower with more attention to the traffic and pedestrians.

I'm sorry the OP's story fails! Maybe it was a troll.

• Like 1

" Does he ignore amber, which in the UK is 'prepare to stop' "

Whenever I've driven a rental car in America I have always understood amber is the same there as red in that you must actually stop on that colour as well even before the red appears? That's how I've always driven there anyway.

Mind you the traffic is a lot more orderly than Thailand.

So in America does that mean green is prepare to stop?

In America, as in most civilized nations, yellow means: "Hurry up! The light is about to turn red!"

So in America does that mean green is prepare to stop?

In California for instance, entering an intersection when the amber light shows is perfectly legal. But, if a car is still in the intersection as the light turns red, it is a traffic violation. Think about it and depending on the speed limit, it makes sense how that occurs.

It is not illegal in California to be in the intersection when the light turns red. It is illegal to be stopped in the intersection when the light turns red, blocking traffic.

Think about it... if you can enter when it's yellow then clearly there is a chance you will be in it when it turns red. You simply have to have a way out without stopping.

I hate those pedestrian crossings; they are outright lethal for people coming from places with traffic rules and expecting to cross when they have the green light.....

Someone made a chunk of money from these!

When first installed, they were given some regard, but over time they have become pretty much ignored.

Like the 'bus stops' for baht buses.

I also have had a very close call as a pedestrian, foolishly thinking I could safely cross there when a car driven by a foreigner nearly killed me.

I have taken to slowing and stopping IF pedestrians are trying to cross on red.... there is sufficient warning for those behind to pull up or drive around as they choose.

You have good brakes on the PCX which should pull you up safely.... drive with care.

I am more aggravated by tour groups crossing where there actually is not a crossing point and the guide presuming he has some police like authority to hold up all the traffic.

Edited by jacko45k

In related art subject, Jomtien Beach second road near my condo had one of those pedestrian lights put up maybe 3 months ago. I think it semi functioned 3 days tops. I think maybe 50% of traffic stopped, but only takes one to nail you. Maybe hospitals that need more patients put those things in.....

Edited by Emster23

"I mouthed a silent 'sorry' to the Chinese group and quickly accelerated away (through the red light) before the next wave of traffic could mow me down."

That was nice of you to be concerned about the Chinese, but they would likely not be traumatized but that incident because they drive at least that bad in China.

Me? Lived in China 5 years.

Its high time for the PM ex General to tackle the motoring problems. With Songkran only 1 month away, something could be introduced - and enforced - before the end of March. But of course it wont!

Its far to late for education for those already driving, and there is no education for those still at school

The only way to teach everyone that there are rules and they must be strictly observed is hefty fines. They wouild eventually learn, when their beer money, lao kao money or brothel money was not available, and they had to resort to loans.

Another reason why pedestrian overpasses are the only solution for a safe crossing the way these people drive. Brakes stop cars not red lights.

But pedestrians won't use them either just as the majority don't use zebra, panda or pelican crossings. They cross wherever they like taking the risk of being run over.

OP was correct to stop and should have stayed stopped until a green light gave him the go ahead and the crossing was clear of pedestrians. His situation has happened to me many time with all the flashing lights and horn honking from other vehicles who want to ignore the crossing and charge ahead. Hold your ground they won't hit you they know they are in the wrong and to hit you will cost them. Use of your middle digit helps make your point I find.

The pedestrians should have carried forward and crossed. Again the cars won't hit you if you stand in their way as long as they have time to stop which they won't unless you make them do so. Again I find holding out an outstretched arm palm towards them gives them the message that your crossing and come on hit me I dare you.

When these lights were first installed city police were out in full numbers helping pedestrians cross, showing them how they were to be used and stopping the vehicles and explaining that the must stop on red. But like so many things here it started off good and then fizzled out. Most of the lights are broken or switched off. The situation has returned to pure anarchy. Cross wherever you like, ignore the lights, ignore the crossings. Meanwhile the Mayor sits in his office smug that he ripped the city taxpayers off with what I can only describe as a complete and utter farce. A normal corrupt days business. The Mayor has also promised to fix these lights but like any good politician he lied.

Pretty dumb to put a highway between the hotels and the beach.

It should be a traffic free area. Make 2nd road two way again. Deliveries could be made in the early hours. There should be a free environmental friendly bus running slowly up and down the beach to get from end to the other.

With that Pattaya might be able to justify calling itself a world class tourist resort instead of a temple of worship to the gods automobile and motorcycle.

• Like 1

I've never heard so much bullsh*t in my life! But rather typical coming from Thai Visa members!

First of all any operator of a motor vehicle (especially a two wheeled motor vehicle) should be alert of all circumstances going on around them at all times! They shouldn't be driving along minding their merry way.

As mentioned in this post those pedestrian lights don't just change to red out of the blue! They change from yellow to red.

They are all located at pedestrian crossings. Even if a pedestrian steps off a curb, you must come to a stop. Pedestrians have the right of way. If you see pedestrians waiting you should come to a gradual stop at any pedestrian crossing. They are clearly marked.

Sounds like the blaring horns were from other doing an evasive stop because the OP doing an evasive stop rather than a gradual stop. Sounds like he was driving faster than he should be and not paying attention to traffic and pedestrians.

It's not just bad Thai drivers in this country but farang drivers too! I seem to recall one TV poster mentioning something stupid about putting a highway between beach and the hotels. For your information, beach road is not a highway! It's a road with a lot of pedestrians crossing it! Hence it should be driven slower with more attention to the traffic and pedestrians.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Thank you for the early morning laugh... have never EVER had a car slow down when I tried to cross beach road...

your (European?) driving lessons seem not to be lost... that is the way we learn it...

in thailand??? Chance is that the pedestrian will first be beat up by the driver and then be fined for damaging the car that hit him...

• Like 1

I think it is slightly unfair to criticise the OP for not 'being aware of the traffic around him'. In fact it's a slightly smug remark.

Not having encountered the lights on beach road, I am unable to say whether there is, or is not, an amber warning light. Even if there is, it still poses the same dilemma for the OP and others. Does he ignore amber, which in the UK is 'prepare to stop', or does he ignore that, on the basis the vehicles behind him will not do the same.?

You have the same issue on the main lights on Suk/Nua and other places. When you see the flashing arrow what goes through most westerners mind?. To me it means caution - prepare to stop. To Thai's it means speed up and get across as quick as possible.

I realise that there has to be a certain amount of adaptation whilst driving here, but I still believe we shouldn't completely compromise our standards to the extent of jumping a pedestrian red light, especially when there are people preparing to cross.

I think the OP made a slip by saying 'he was minding his own business', thus implying he was unaware of the situation around him. I'm certainly not going to be the judge of that remark.

I would have stopped.

"prepare to stop" is code for brake, also in the UK. The amber lights, which can be seen from a distance, gives you, and those behind you, ample time to brake before the lights turn red.

Of course, if you see the amber light as an indication that now you have to speed up to get across before it turns red, then you risk it turning red before you make it across, which potentially forces you to abruptly brake or kill some chinese tourists.

I have personally witnessed twice tourists getting hit on the crossing outside mikes, they eventually regained conciousness but they will never be the same, the vehicles where also damaged due to the speed they were going. they should remove the crossings, the only thing they do is give tourists a false sense of security

• Like 1

Another reason why pedestrian overpasses are the only solution for a safe crossing the way these people drive. Brakes stop cars not red lights.

And do we want to spoil even further our beach road the pride of the city with big ugly concrete and steel pedestrian overpasses that nobody will use. No thank you. Surely the army can spare a few persons with M16s to scare he living daylights out of all the drivers who jump the lights. I mean what's the point of having a military government if they can't help with this. Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

Why do people drive so fast that it becomes a problem to stop??? Think about it... You speed down the road only to have to stop at the next light for a few minutes. You then take off quickly only to have to stop again another 400 meters down the road. I really don't think we get where we are going any faster by speeding. Having said that I know Thais drive like crazy so I guess in order to survive we must go with the flow. TIT

Pretty dumb to put a highway between the hotels and the beach.

pretty &^%&% to think Beach Road is a "highway" dry.png

At 3 lines wide with the traffic going as fast as it can, 60-90kph in what is a 50 zone. It virtually is. At least most drivers treat it as one. If it walks like a duck smells like a duck.....you know the rest.

Not having encountered the lights on beach road,

I am unable to say whether there is, or is not, an amber warning light.

Not only there is a amber warning (~3 seconds)

but there is mainly a countdown board for each color.

There is no excuse to say you were surprised by the change to red light.

When in Pattaya and not walking I do stop but not before having checked my rearview to make sure there is not a bloody big bus bearing down on me at 100 Miles an hour.

I have never seen police doing anything on that road to stop the speeding or the running of lights.

Exactly, coming from Australia you would not normally pass your driving test these days without checking your mirrors both approaching an intersection (or lights, crossings etc) and you must always check your mirrors before braking. (To get a motorcycle licence this does not apply as you don't even have to ride on the road ) But if you got your licence a long time ago, this would not have been a requirement. If it is not safe to stop, you are permitted to go through the light. Here it is very rare to be booked for going through a red light, but always do what ever is safe. A large vehicle, travelling at the same speed as a motorcycle, will take much more distance to stop, that is of course if you know how to apply your brakes properly. The road surface will make a difference to the amount of front and rear brakes to apply. The above quoted posters are spot on.

Edited by aussiebrian

When it comes to bullshit your post is a prime example.

The OP fully admits his own failings and asks simply what others would have done. Your post adds nothing.

• Like 1

I have personally witnessed twice tourists getting hit on the crossing outside mikes, they eventually regained conciousness but they will never be the same, the vehicles where also damaged due to the speed they were going. they should remove the crossings, the only thing they do is give tourists a false sense of security

Yeah take away the crossings just like they've done on 2nd road. Good idea nobody wants to cross the roads anyway and if they do let them ride a baht bus to do it. Great city planning and traffic control skills. Where did you learn them Disneyland.

They cost a lot of money to build and are not suitable for many with disabilities...

And the city taxpayers have already paid for some state of the art pelican crossings. Make them work. Make the drivers and pedestrians use them properly. Don't spend more money on something that very few will use and that many disabled can't ruining Pattaya's reasonably good record of tolerance and facilities towards the disabled.

Yesterday, my wife received a letter from the police showing our car and doing 101kmh along Sukhumvit where the limit is 90kmh. The law was broken so no gripe. But when you consider that most vehicles are doing more that 90kmh along that highway out of the town it was just bad luck that she got caught. Perhaps it would be more beneficial for them to set up cameras at pedestrian crossings where the risk to human life is much greatercoffee1.gif ?

• Like 1