MAD DOG

Farangdanny

Many of these western style restaurant establishments are seriously underrating the value of their ex-pat clientele.

Year by year the ex-pat so called communities are increasing in Chiang Mai, whereas on the other end of the spectrum western tourists to the city are decreasing gradually being outnumbered by south east Asian visitors. This means that in the foreseeable future western style restaurants in the city will come to rely more on regular ex-pat customers in addition to farang tourist short time visitors to make up the short fall in trade. There will no longer be a place for arrogance and bad attitudes within these businesses that will need to become more efficient and adopt a friendlier approach towards their regulars.

In the future these businesses will have to work harder at providing a professional, friendly and reasonable service for all their customers or at least a compromise, rather than the take it or leave it stance towards a proportion of their clientele. The old saying still applies; the customer is always right. Those unable or unwilling to adapt will go under. The writing is already on the wall for those who have the intelligence and foresight to see it?

I don't know of any places that are arrogant and have a bad attitude, whereas you seem to think they're all that way. I don't see why western businesses shouldn't target Asians as well as Westerners and Thais. If they're doing that they should do okay. If they're not doing that, they're daft.

If you think that many ex-pats often complain about prices even when they're clearly displayed, will often believe they are being ripped off even when getting a bargain, are constantly moody because of domestic problems with the wife/girlfriend or kids or the builder didn't turn up, who complain about The Thais and the pollution; well, you wait until you start dealing with those hi so, upper social class honourable Chinese customers that are going to uplift your business into boomtown. Oh boy, you anit seen nothing yet, you`re in for a rude awakening. After so many months you`ll be worshipping the ground that ex-pats walk on, with a sign outside displaying; please come back all is forgiven.

But of course if you are frequently receiving moans and groans from dissatisfied customers, than surely does that not suggest that you`re doing something wrong, or is this a case of; it`s not me, it`s all the others? I worked as a Public relations manager for 35 years and I am giving you my professional advice that your approach is wrong.

Perhaps change the names from the Mad Dog to the Mad Shaolin and the Red Lion to the Red Dragon, which may help the Chinese feel more at home. I wish you luck.

As regards the pollution, any complaints are well justified. Over the last two days those that burn have been trying to choke us to death. Woke us this morning felt like my lungs were on fire and coughing my heart out. This is really no joke, it`s the worst I have ever known it.

I didn't say that many expats often complain, are constantly moody etc., I said that the complainers and the moody customers are more than likely expats, and the happy, grateful customers are more than likely tourists, and I justified that statement by saying expats have everyday problems that tourists don't. Tourists have enough money to spend for three weeks, the wife or kids are happy and relaxed and they're on holiday having a great time. I also said "most expats, generally, are nice guys". You're too busy looking to find fault and to pre-judge, to take notice of what is actually written. I generally choose my words carefully and purposely so look at them and think about them before you jump to the wrong conclusions.

Whilst you are busy thinking that the world revolves around expats my business is thriving due to the big influx of Malaysians, Singaporeans, Japanese, Koreans and Chinese. I suppose having the menu in Chinese, Japanesa and Korean helps, as does realising that with most expats now living in the suburbs, new markets need to be tapped. Of course, other than Asians, we also have customers from Australia, America and most of Europe. The menus in French , Spanish, Dutch and German may have something to do with that. Expats, like everyone else, are more than welcome, but times change and we've moved on.

In case you were wondering, my business has a pen and comments sheet on every table , has a clearly stated no-quibble policy of replacing or not charging for food that the customer doesn't like and values all customers equally , even the chinese that you seem to dismiss. Most of the comment sheets that are filled out are positive and consistently praise the friendly staff. I personally, am only really interested in the complaints as that is how I get to know what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.

As regards to the "Please come back , all is forgiven" sign, that's just you hoping that we'll fail, just so you can be smug and say you were right, what with you being an expert with 35 years experience and all. Which isn't very nice. Or likely.

I certainly do not want any businesses to fail On the contrary I want them to success. and suggest that you read my posts again. My point being that unless .you, the Mad Dog and some other businesses cease and desist by criticising and not valuing the custom of the regular customers, than you will eventually go out of business. All I am saying is; learn to adapt .

If of course you consider you know better and I have know idea what 1m talking about than fail to heed my advice, that`s your prerogative and wishing good luck to all who sail in her.

t will be interesting to see how the Mad Dog and the Red Lion have progressed within the next 5 years.

Edited by Beetlejuice

"I certainly do not want any businesses to fail On the contrary I want them to success. and suggest that you read my posts again. My point being that unless .you, the Mad Dog and some other businesses cease and desist by criticising and not valuing the custom of the regular customers, than you will eventually go out of business. All I am saying is; learn to adapt .

If of course you consider you know better and I have know idea what 1m talking about than fail to heed my advice, that`s your prerogative and wishing good luck to all who sail in her.

t will be interesting to see how the Mad Dog and the Red Lion have progressed within the next 5 years."

I know how they have done for the past 9 years and there still in business.wink.png

Many of these western style restaurant establishments are seriously underrating the value of their ex-pat clientele.

Year by year the ex-pat so called communities are increasing in Chiang Mai, whereas on the other end of the spectrum western tourists to the city are decreasing gradually being outnumbered by south east Asian visitors. This means that in the foreseeable future western style restaurants in the city will come to rely more on regular ex-pat customers in addition to farang tourist short time visitors to make up the short fall in trade. There will no longer be a place for arrogance and bad attitudes within these businesses that will need to become more efficient and adopt a friendlier approach towards their regulars.

In the future these businesses will have to work harder at providing a professional, friendly and reasonable service for all their customers or at least a compromise, rather than the take it or leave it stance towards a proportion of their clientele. The old saying still applies; the customer is always right. Those unable or unwilling to adapt will go under. The writing is already on the wall for those who have the intelligence and foresight to see it?

I don't know of any places that are arrogant and have a bad attitude, whereas you seem to think they're all that way. I don't see why western businesses shouldn't target Asians as well as Westerners and Thais. If they're doing that they should do okay. If they're not doing that, they're daft.

If you think that many ex-pats often complain about prices even when they're clearly displayed, will often believe they are being ripped off even when getting a bargain, are constantly moody because of domestic problems with the wife/girlfriend or kids or the builder didn't turn up, who complain about The Thais and the pollution; well, you wait until you start dealing with those hi so, upper social class honourable Chinese customers that are going to uplift your business into boomtown. Oh boy, you anit seen nothing yet, you`re in for a rude awakening. After so many months you`ll be worshipping the ground that ex-pats walk on, with a sign outside displaying; please come back all is forgiven.

But of course if you are frequently receiving moans and groans from dissatisfied customers, than surely does that not suggest that you`re doing something wrong, or is this a case of; it`s not me, it`s all the others? I worked as a Public relations manager for 35 years and I am giving you my professional advice that your approach is wrong.

Perhaps change the names from the Mad Dog to the Mad Shaolin and the Red Lion to the Red Dragon, which may help the Chinese feel more at home. I wish you luck.

As regards the pollution, any complaints are well justified. Over the last two days those that burn have been trying to choke us to death. Woke us this morning felt like my lungs were on fire and coughing my heart out. This is really no joke, it`s the worst I have ever known it.

I didn't say that many expats often complain, are constantly moody etc., I said that the complainers and the moody customers are more than likely expats, and the happy, grateful customers are more than likely tourists, and I justified that statement by saying expats have everyday problems that tourists don't. Tourists have enough money to spend for three weeks, the wife or kids are happy and relaxed and they're on holiday having a great time. I also said "most expats, generally, are nice guys". You're too busy looking to find fault and to pre-judge, to take notice of what is actually written. I generally choose my words carefully and purposely so look at them and think about them before you jump to the wrong conclusions.

Whilst you are busy thinking that the world revolves around expats my business is thriving due to the big influx of Malaysians, Singaporeans, Japanese, Koreans and Chinese. I suppose having the menu in Chinese, Japanesa and Korean helps, as does realising that with most expats now living in the suburbs, new markets need to be tapped. Of course, other than Asians, we also have customers from Australia, America and most of Europe. The menus in French , Spanish, Dutch and German may have something to do with that. Expats, like everyone else, are more than welcome, but times change and we've moved on.

In case you were wondering, my business has a pen and comments sheet on every table , has a clearly stated no-quibble policy of replacing or not charging for food that the customer doesn't like and values all customers equally , even the chinese that you seem to dismiss. Most of the comment sheets that are filled out are positive and consistently praise the friendly staff. I personally, am only really interested in the complaints as that is how I get to know what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.

As regards to the "Please come back , all is forgiven" sign, that's just you hoping that we'll fail, just so you can be smug and say you were right, what with you being an expert with 35 years experience and all. Which isn't very nice. Or likely.

Just out of curiosity where is your business, it sounds great.

If you feel that you can't say on here then feel free to pm me, or any other person for that matter.

It sounds like a place worth trying.

• Like 1

The popular Expats that populate the bars for years whether in the morning or evening or both, have lived 5, 10, 15 years or more still speak 100 words of Thai, can't read it. These are the people who should not be criticizing Thais as they took no effort to understand them or their culture. They should be ashamed but they are not, and that tells you more about them than anything. Ask an Expat what his girlfriend's name is? Yes her full real name, 90% couldn't tell you, What her real name it's Lek.

This type of post speaks more about you than "them".... oh and I bet some even were CARGO SHORTS with puffy pockets ! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The popular Expats that populate the bars for years whether in the morning or evening or both, have lived 5, 10, 15 years or more still speak 100 words of Thai, can't read it. These are the people who should not be criticizing Thais as they took no effort to understand them or their culture. They should be ashamed but they are not, and that tells you more about them than anything. Ask an Expat what his girlfriend's name is? Yes her full real name, 90% couldn't tell you, What her real name it's Lek.

This type of post speaks more about you than "them".... oh and I bet some even were CARGO SHORTS with puffy pockets ! rolleyes.gif

I'm still trying desperately to work out what part of Hawaiian Pizza and Large Leo is Thai culture.

Surely if one is expecting to work in an expat or tourist environ then you would expect staff to speak the 100 words of English not patrons do an impromptu Thai language course. What is the Thai word for "pizza" anyway....my bad, apparently it's "pizza".

Then I move on to how many full names of Bar staff I know, and fail the standard again. Mind you I do not know the full name of all the staff at my local 7/11, petrol station, post office, bank etc but we do recognise each other, greet each other cordially with a smile, exchange pleasantries with each other.

Not knowing or caring to know a language does not excuse bad manners on the part of patrons OR staff. One would think it rudimentary for anyone in the hospitality industry to have relatively consistently good manners and hopefully overall demeanour.

I would not put up with a sh#tty attitude elsewhere so why put up with it there...it's not on the TAT promotion plan is it?

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 2

I'm still trying desperately to work out what part of Hawaiian Pizza and Large Leo is Thai culture.

Surely if one is expecting to work in an expat or tourist environ then you would expect staff to speak the 100 words of English not patrons do an impromptu Thai language course. What is the Thai word for "pizza" anyway....my bad, apparently it's "pizza".

Then I move on to how many full names of Bar staff I know, and fail the standard again. Mind you I do not know the full name of all the staff at my local 7/11, petrol station, post office, bank etc but we do recognise each other, greet each other cordially with a smile, exchange pleasantries with each other.

Not knowing or caring to know a language does not excuse bad manners on the part of patrons OR staff. One would think it rudimentary for anyone in the hospitality industry to have relatively consistently good manners and hopefully overall demeanour.

I would not put up with a sh#tty attitude elsewhere so why put up with it there...it's not on the TAT promotion plan is it?

I find it curious that the name in "English for Tom Yam Kung is Tom Yam Kung. I can do this all night, English is a Germanic language with a vocabulary taken from the Norman French. Thai is a Sanskrit language from India. What's your point? If it is that words are borrowed from foreign languages yes they are, And the English Language to it's great credit and richness is the biggest borrower of all.

You are correct in that politeness and courteousness are the most necessary traits needed in the hospitality industry.

These are the people that should not be criticising Thais ..... That's your job! You are a fully paid up member so you are free to call the lady at the Mad Dog a <removed> and to name her, so we all know who exactly you are talikng about. Right?

I would never do such a thing on a public forum because it is unfair to her knowing that she can't defend herself, it is against the local culture that you claim to understand, it is ungentlemanly, it wouldn't reflect on me too well, and less importantly, it is against forum rules. The Mods missed that one and I hope they delete the offensive remarks. You may also want to bear in mind that Libel laws are very strict in Thailand and that she would have a strong case against you if you weren't anonymous.

Not only that but your right about the libel laws and if this girl see the post calling her that name then she can sue the poster for defamation I know I got sued for calling a thai girl a bitch (she was by the way made no difference) I got done for it and got 12 months suspended jail sentence and 10,000 baht fine not only that but thais are entitled to sue when defamed and the state pays for the lawyer for them.

Since Bitch translates from english to thai as PROSTITUTE (that is what I was charged with and they use Google translate for the official translation) I would be very careful of identifying people and calling them names online or in public cos the laws here are RIDICULOUS.

You lot make me sick, to openly slate people on this site is beond a joke. what right do you have to personaly attack a persons personality, Not everyone has a happy moment because you have ordered a beer and made some poor joke in some made up english/ thai talk. I have been a customer of the Mad Dog for over 10 years, some times i dont go in for a few months some times i go it 2 or 3 times a week. I know all the old staff verry well and allways wellcomed. I put it to you all if you have not worked in a bar dont judge the staff to hard, Its hard to provide a smile when wave after wave of the same rubbish is spoken to you. Nick is very good at what he runs, yes he can be a bit stand off , but the same applies there is enough times to hear the same story. Their are not many bars that have run this long and made proffit. I know 100% Nick has just spent a load of money on new kitchin equipment and is allways trying to up rate the menu. Dont slate people, if you dont like dont go , if you dont have nothing good to say . say nothing. And as for the person that got upset that he was asked to smoke outside a non somoking bar and thinks a punch up is the best way to solve the problem, Well bless you.

Total and complete crapola.

These people are in the hospitality business, they are there to ensure that customers have a happy experience in a welcoming and friendly atmosphere, that entices them to keep coming back. It`s mean`t to be run as a business and not to assess each customer on merit of personalities providing they are spending money, that what it`s all about.

During my lifetime I have worked with many staff and customers that in my mind was thinking, what a total load of prats, but I had to go with the flow because that was my living and part of my career was dealing with these people. it`s described in the trade as professionalism.

If the owners and staff of these establishments feel unable to tolerate and accommodate certain customers, than they are in the wrong business and should get out of the hospitality industry completely, by either retiring, working for someone else or trying their luck at some other types of professions. It`s that simple.

You lot make me sick, to openly slate people on this site is beond a joke. what right do you have to personaly attack a persons personality, Not everyone has a happy moment because you have ordered a beer and made some poor joke in some made up english/ thai talk. I have been a customer of the Mad Dog for over 10 years, some times i dont go in for a few months some times i go it 2 or 3 times a week. I know all the old staff verry well and allways wellcomed. I put it to you all if you have not worked in a bar dont judge the staff to hard, Its hard to provide a smile when wave after wave of the same rubbish is spoken to you. Nick is very good at what he runs, yes he can be a bit stand off , but the same applies there is enough times to hear the same story. Their are not many bars that have run this long and made proffit. I know 100% Nick has just spent a load of money on new kitchin equipment and is allways trying to up rate the menu. Dont slate people, if you dont like dont go , if you dont have nothing good to say . say nothing. And as for the person that got upset that he was asked to smoke outside a non somoking bar and thinks a punch up is the best way to solve the problem, Well bless you.

These people are in the hospitality business, they are there to ensure that customers have a happy experience in a welcoming and friendly atmosphere, that entices them to keep coming back. It`s mean`t to be run as a business and not to assess each customer on merit of personalities providing they are spending money, that what it`s all about.

During my lifetime I have worked with many staff and customers that in my mind was thinking, what a total load of prats, but I had to go with the flow because that was my living and part of my career was dealing with these people. it`s described in the trade as professionalism.

If the owners and staff of these establishments feel unable to tolerate and accommodate certain customers, than they are in the wrong business and should get out of the hospitality industry completely, by either retiring, working for someone else or trying their luck at some other types of professions. It`s that simple.

'

But of course it is not, as you say : 'It`s that simple'.

Everyone is different. You chose to go with the flow working with a load of prats by your judgement. Sold your soul to the job to some extent. These folks presumably want to make a living and are doing that without selling their soul. If they are happier not to 'go with the flow' with ' a load of prats' they have my sympathy-and support.

I may not want to drink at their place but who are you to judge them by your 'go with the prat flow' standards??

If they can make a living without having to Kowtow to all and sundry, however they behave, then good luck. It's their life and they are living it as they choose. seems ok to me.

'

But of course it is not, as you say : 'It`s that simple'.

Everyone is different. You chose to go with the flow working with a load of prats by your judgement. Sold your soul to the job to some extent. These folks presumably want to make a living and are doing that without selling their soul. If they are happier not to 'go with the flow' with ' a load of prats' they have my sympathy-and support.

I may not want to drink at their place but who are you to judge them by your 'go with the prat flow' standards??

If they can make a living without having to Kowtow to all and sundry, however they behave, then good luck. It's their life and they are living it as they choose. seems ok to me.

It is that simple.

The owners and staff at these establishments have a choice of even giving a semblance that they value all their customers and the customers have a choice of spending their hard earned cash elsewhere.

Providing the customers are not intentionally rude, abusive and disrespectful, then it is the task of the establishment to be slightly subservient to them and not vice-verso. The more comfortable and happy customers feel when acquiring a service, the more they are likely to spend and the more often they will keep going back. That`s what`s called doing good business, because as I said previous there is no place for arrogance and attitude in business.

If I were running such establishments, my number one priorities would be courtesy and a friendly reliable service to all customers at all times, whether it be the village idiot or the King of Sweden, which judging by some of the posts on this thread is sadly lacking.

To a point one does need to put their body and soul into a business in order to make it a success, otherwise what is the point of working somewhere where you hate the job and hate the customers? If that is the case than these businesses are on a long fuse to self destruct.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

My point is that you can explain how you would do it, but you should not tell them how they SHOULD do it.

It's their life and their roadmap; they have been in business long enough to know what works for them.

Advice is generally worth what you paid for it, and we all know about consultants- you ask them the time and they borrow your watch.

It's that simple

"Gai and Cookie "

Still miss Cookie, her meals where basic but well prepared, Good Cook but bad at choosing a husband.

​Gai is Gai be polite and you'll be served in a reasonable manner, adopt the attitude that some express in this thread and well you'll be treated as so.

By the way we are talking about a Cheap and what you make of it ( almost said Cheerful), not the Ritz Carlton or Savoy.

john

Edited by jonwilly

Ask an Expat what his girlfriend's name is? Yes her full real name, 90% couldn't tell you, What her real name it's Lek.

My missus has changed her real name more often than her haircut.. I can think of 4 different ID cards in only the last 4 or 5 years.

Her nickname has remained the same the last 10 or 15..

Thai language course. What is the Thai word for "pizza" anyway....my bad, apparently it's "pizza".

I believe its actually Pizz-ahh.. With a rising tone at the finale..

God forbid you get the tone wrong, you will probably end up with soup.

• Like 1

I'd been noticing that the CM forum seemed quite sedate and polite.

I'd forgotten all the action, intrigue and drama is in the food and restaurants threads.

Wait for The Best Pizza and Fish & Chips to appear, it's not a pretty sight. wink.png

• Like 2

I find it curious that the name in "English for Tom Yam Kung is Tom Yam Kung. I can do this all night, English is a Germanic language with a vocabulary taken from the Norman French. Thai is a Sanskrit language from India. What's your point? If it is that words are borrowed from foreign languages yes they are, And the English Language to it's great credit and richness is the biggest borrower of all.

Actually, Thai is definitely not in the same family as Sanskrit. Sanskrit is an Indo-European language as is German, French, English, Russian, Persian...etc..

A huge amount of it's words do come from Sanskrit, Pali, and Cambodian but basically it's part of family of languages that same say is in turn part of Sino-Tibetan and others say is just its own family. As for English, the majority of commonly used words are Germanic in origin, with Norman French coming in second.

And I think this commentary settles once and for all any questions about the Mad Dog experience.

• Like 1

I have been going to MD's for 10 years. It's pub grub. I don't go to drink, I don't go to socialize nor do I go to hit up on the staff. It is what it is and is still in business. I am sure the owner could give a flying rats ass less about the whiners on this thread.thumbsup.gif 81 post of free advertising for Mad Dogs.clap2.gif

Most of it saying the breakfast is crap and the staff are miserable cheats.

Yeah, it's really tempting me to go and try it.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Mad Dog pizza is good, so is Khun Gai. I go there occasionally and always remembered with a smile, maybe she forget my name but whatever.

Not some kind of a huge tipper either. Now some guys come on here calling her a menopausal bitch, totally out of line.

Such folks should be 86'd (banned) from MadDogs forthwith.