MAD DOG

Farangdanny

What has happened to Mad Dog Bar ? I remember breakfast being one of the best in Chiang Mai. Not yesterday ! Orange juice cheap weak stuff. Thin sausage full of herb, not English Breakfast sausage. Fried eggs had like plastic cover ! Toast very hard and dry, enough butter to cover 20% of one slice. Cheapest marmalade ( orange flavoured gelatine) cheap, poor quality baked beans. all mostly cold ! Had to pay 25B extra for second teabag to make tea worth drinking. Guess it's back to Amazing Sandwich.

• Like 1

Let's say I haven't been in for many years and the staff are the reason, I have brought it to his attention more than once but the owner doesn't seem to care and if you talk to the staff, especially, Gai she will give you a surly look as if you were in a bar in Loi Kroc and mutter something under her breath, and like the Loi Kroc bunch she will mutter when you don't leave an adequate tip for inadequate service. There is no friendly service from the staff, it's as if they have contempt for the regulars who come in daily. I don't think Nick is interested in fixing the problem so I have moved on.

• Like 1

Let's say I haven't been in for many years and the staff are the reason, I have brought it to his attention more than once but the owner doesn't seem to care and if you talk to the staff, especially, Gai she will give you a surly look as if you were in a bar in Loi Kroc and mutter something under her breath, and like the Loi Kroc bunch she will mutter when you don't leave an adequate tip for inadequate service. There is no friendly service from the staff, it's as if they have contempt for the regulars who come in daily. I don't think Nick is interested in fixing the problem so I have moved on.

Nick isn't interested in fixing the problem because he gets adequate people in there at night to keep the business successful and isn't particularly bothered about what goes on early am. Gai who is basically the day manager, has been there forever and is now starting to look old, maybe that's what is bothering her but her constant moody look doesn't help her. I'm sure if she smiled now and then she'd look younger. I stopped going in there for breakfast some time ago and it's a pity because IMO they did once have the best breakfast in CM both in terms of quality and price, but no longer.

Nothing has "happened to it;" it has been off my "list" since my first visit in 2006. You can actually have a good time on LK, if you try hard enough.

English is indeed a strange language...... you can reverse things and still its the same..... as in your statement "if you try hard enough" or if you are hard up enough to try or the harder you try the better...... velly intlisting

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I haven't been recently but I think the staff are okay. And as been mentioned they've been there forever, which is quite the achievement. So they're doing something right.\

Given the number of idiots they get in I don't hold it against the staff not not immediately smile like the Cheshire cat at every nutter who walks in. :rolleyes: They're polite enough to me, though I also just let them get on with things early morning when they're cleaning and clearly working hard.

• Like 2

Welcome to Thailand

Cynical--jaded staff--rude

Apathetic boss....meh--i do good enough at night not to give a piss

Sounds like a well oiled machine--gave up on that place long ago

I could just get married if i wanted to be treated badly....giggle.gif

Som nam naa...customers are the bread and butter of that business..i added in a food joke!

I haven't been recently but I think the staff are okay. And as been mentioned they've been there forever, which is quite the achievement. So they're doing something right.\

Given the number of idiots they get in I don't hold it against the staff not not immediately smile like the Cheshire cat at every nutter who walks in. rolleyes.gif They're polite enough to me, though I also just let them get on with things early morning when they're cleaning and clearly working hard.

The reason the girls stay there is because there is a benefit to staying there, skimming from customers caught them red handed twice, nothing done about it, Nick's not interested, they pad the bill and then take the difference

Tried to take my family there one night....dinner time and all the tables taken by 1 - 2 people drinking - no food to be seen - watching TV....waited about 20 minutes - nothing changed and no food arrived... took my dissappointed family and left....won't be back soon if ever....especially with the bar types smoking up the sidewalk....

• Like 1

The breakfast sucks.

There used to be regular touts for the place here, complete with photos and high praise of St. Nick. No sign of them lately. Trip Advisor: "I am here right now for breakfast and the young girl serving me is the most miserable person I have seen since arriving in Thailand." http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293917-d2065682-r256840155-Mad_Dog_Pizza_Bar_and_Restaurant-Chiang_Mai.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

• Like 1

Archers is probably the best British breakfast in the area. I'm pretty sure that they jacked up their prices recently, but it was a steal before if you considered the quality. I just wish these places would substitute more English bacon for sausages, because, IMO, no one has sausages that are better than mediocre. I really feel that I am wasting money on them, so I mostly stick to American breakfasts.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Tried to take my family there one night....dinner time and all the tables taken by 1 - 2 people drinking - no food to be seen - watching TV....waited about 20 minutes - nothing changed and no food arrived... took my dissappointed family and left....won't be back soon if ever....especially with the bar types smoking up the sidewalk....

What do you expect considering that the Mad Dog is located in a bar type touristy area.

My guess is that these establishments, including the Red Lion and the Beer Stube, have a steady flow of first timer tourist clientele and couldn`t give a rat`s behind about a few semi regular ex-pat customers and have a take it or leave it attitude.

These days I never venture into these places, I find them totally unappealing, expensive and prefer to visit the various shopping malls if I fancy a farangy type meal. Cleaner, friendlier and better value for money.

Please don't lump the Beer Stube into your rat's behind apathy statement unless you have experienced it for a fact. I have always been greeted with a smile and the upmost kindness and courtesy from the owners and staff since the first time I ever walked in to this restaurant. Still top notch IMHO.

Edited by habfan
  • Like 2

What do you expect considering that the Mad Dog is located in a bar type touristy area.

My guess is that these establishments, including the Red Lion and the Beer Stube, have a steady flow of first timer tourist clientele and couldn`t give a rat`s behind about a few semi regular ex-pat customers and have a take it or leave it attitude.

These days I never venture into these places, I find them totally unappealing, expensive and prefer to visit the various shopping malls if I fancy a farangy type meal. Cleaner, friendlier and better value for money.

I'm not even a regular in the Red Lion since I live in the sandpit, but on my visits I've always found the staff friendly and the service excellent, and the grub is what it says on the box.

So I wouldn't compare that with a place full of coffin dodgers and miserable git staff.

Given the number of idiots they get in I don't hold it against the staff not not immediately smile like the Cheshire cat at every nutter who walks in. rolleyes.gif They're polite enough to me, though I also just let them get on with things early morning when they're cleaning and clearly working hard.

The reason the girls stay there is because there is a benefit to staying there, skimming from customers caught them red handed twice, nothing done about it, Nick's not interested, they pad the bill and then take the difference

Did the same to me around 8 years ago. The staff got angry when I pointed it out. Then, one took my beer and poured it down the sink in front of the whole bar. I paid the 'bill' and haven't been back since.

• Like 1

Did the same to me around 8 years ago. The staff got angry when I pointed it out. Then, one took my beer and poured it down the sink in front of the whole bar. I paid the 'bill' and haven't been back since.

If it's that bad, then most of my comments above are irrelevant. I was trying to give them some credit, but that's just wrong.

• Like 1

Nothing has "happened to it;" it has been off my "list" since my first visit in 2006. You can actually have a good time on LK, if you try hard enough.

The OP was talking about the deterriorating quality of the breakfasts, hes not talking about 'good time' on Loi Kroh.

Agree though that there is some scope for improving the breakfasts at the MD.

A customer walks into a restaurant....... If he has a long face, and complains about everything the odds are overwhemlingly in the favour of him being an expat. A customer that is happy and polite and goes over to the owner and says "I really enjoyed your place, thank you very much", the odds are he is a tourist. That's the reality.

Who will complain about prices even when they're clearly displayed? An expat. Who will have an attitude of being ripped off? An expat? Who will be in a bad mood because of problems with the wife/girlfriend or kids or the builder didn't turn up? An expat. Who will complain about The Thais, they're so stupid? An expat? Who will complain about the pollution?.........

Not all expats are like that of course, but when you compare them to tourists that are on holiday, having a great time ,loving everything about Thailand and are quick to let everyone know, is it such a surprise that over the course of twenty or more years the owner might find himself not so interested in certain expats, and the same with the long-time staff?

Whether that is true of all long-established bar/restaurants I don't know but I'm sure they all, nonetheless, have a small core of regulars, which of course begs the question, why do they keep going? My guess is that they are the ones that are happier here because they have tried to understand the locals, learnt a bit of the language, become a lot more relaxed and tolerant, accepted the cultural differences and are probably a bit more financially secure (ie not Cheap Charlies).

You have confirmed what I mentioned as absolutely correct and have no doubts that the Mad Dog have the same arrogant attitudes.

Ex-pats that plonk themselves in Thailand the same as all the rest of us, go into business and then believe they are a cut above all the rest of us peasants. These inner city so-called hospitality establishments, although I have yet to see some hospitality, reek of arrogance and one good reason why none of my honest hard earned cash will ever be coming your way, although I have no doubts with your attitudes you don`t give a toss and in fact neither do I.

I am sure your comments answers the OP regarding the Mad Dog and the reasons for their take it or leave it truculent behaviours towards regular ex-pat clientele. As I said previous, there are plenty of more user friendly alternatives for ex-pats in Chiang Mai, which I am sure is no skin off your nose as it seems you don`t value us as customers.