Thai taxi driver returns 4.7 million yen to Japanese tourist

webfact

TAT staged event. Was the case not locked? Did the taxi driver force the lock open to look inside the case? These stories come up with such regularity, I just don't believe them.

Nothing mentioned that the taxi driver looked into the case, he handed the case into the police, they probably opened it or the Jap guy had reported the case left in the taxi. The police probably had the report from the Jap guy and had his hotel address and sent someone around to get him jumping to conclusions Mate.

Did you read this from Thai PBS? "Mr Prathuan admitted that he was shocked after finding so much money in the baggage but he didn’t want to keep them because they did not belong to him". So "... he was shocked after finding so much money in the baggage.." through an x-ray? He opened the baggage, saw the money and was shocked. Read well before jumping into conclusions too.

Simple question, if this is true and I will assume it is, why was that amount of money being carried around? To me it would appear to be very suspicious to have such an amount in Yen in Thailand

It's not suspicious. There is nothing in this story to indicate that except your own personal biases and jealousy.

Most of the time you can get a better exchange rate for cash (especially at places like superich or thaniya plaza) than you can by bank TT. When travelling I often carry over $20,000 of currency equiavalent because the money changers in bangkok are a better deal. And I almost never ever use ATMs or credit cards in foreign countries so cash is the only option.

Edited by Time Traveller

It is so good to hear these good stories , you just get sick of all the Thai bashing going. There are many kind and decent Thai people out there . It makes your life feel better when you hear stories like this .

I guess they thought there were no ATM machines here or we use credit cards. So, who doesn't go on holiday with millions of dollars in cash available. But, I do recall on your arrival card asking about how much cash you have. Maybe if you have under 10,000 usd then immigration will want to see if you have a hotel and exit ticket of Thailand.

But, tipping the immigration, surely must of been more than the taxi man, you think? No worries about exit tickets.

I bet the taxi drivers wife wasn't told the honest correct truth about his tip amount even if he came home at all.

But did you carry $45k in cash on you? It's no big deal blowing cash it's carrying large portions of it that look suspicious, and spare me the bullshit Sviss Geez, if the Thai cops stopped you and you has over 1 million baht on your person they'd automatically hold you for questioning on suspicion of illegal activities!!

There is no crime in carrying cash. Period. Maybe the guy didn't like using Thai ATMs or his credit card. Who knows? Why is it so important to you what other people do?

Its not that I dont trust cabbies.... Its that I dont trust TAT to be honest as they fudge things to make things appear better...

When New Zealand or some other country starts heading this way in large numbers, I wouldnt be suprised to hear a similar story, but involving a New Zealander (or other country person) and a wad of cash

The usual parade of TV cynical barstewards applying their own morality to others.

Returns do happen. It happened to me:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/700608-lucky-frenchman-reunited-with-belongings-left-in-phuket-taxi/

post 14

I dont think I'm particularly generous-minded btw, but I think a few of you might find that you would think differently about giving once faced with the shock and then relief of losing stuff of some value and the recovering it so unexpectedly.

[Would I lie to you Sean?smile.png]

Edit: Just realised that Sean (real name one if the detractors above, who I happen to know) is in fact a bar steward and certainly not of doubtful parentage as my original simile was intended to portray!

Edited by SantiSuk

Very honourable . . . . but why don't I believe it.

Maybe because it is illegal to carry so much money across international lines in cash... I mean that is only equal to about 1,266,779.82 THB..and a 53,905.52 THB reward.

Or, maybe because this is about time for TAT to release this type of story as they usually do every 2-3 weeks....

Maybe because it is illegal to carry so much money across international lines in cash...

As I stated before and a link to the customs department regulation, it is not illegal but if more than $20,000 USD or equivalent it must be declared.

• Like 1

Maybe because it is illegal to carry so much money across international lines in cash...

As I stated before and a link to the customs department regulation, it is not illegal but if more than $20,000 USD or equivalent it must be declared.

does anybody know what happens when you declare the money? what record is made? for what purpose? what government agencies are informed?

Simple question, if this is true and I will assume it is, why was that amount of money being carried around? To me it would appear to be very suspicious to have such an amount in Yen in Thailand

The guy is Japanese and he just came from the airport.

I think he may have brought it from Japan......

Likely more interest to Japanese authorities, in Thailand, more interest for him.

This story has got TAT staged written all over it ....

don't you all remember the Bangkok taxi driver who was trying to rip of the Japanese guy recently ? and then the sign on the taxi window saying ' no japanese '

This story is so staged ...... it's obvious imo.

The TAT make up this kind of trash every couple of weeks ... last time it was the minimart shop owner , before that it was another taxi driver .... it's all fake folks .

who thinks someone can leave or forget 1.25 million baht in a suitcase in a taxi .... BS

If you are traveling in a cab with that sort of money , your hand would never leave the suitcase handle.

Anyone who believes this story ...... will believe anything imo.

whistling.gif

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

Good Samaritan cabbie rewarded for returning 1.3 million baht to a Japanese

3-10-2015-2-17-06-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Good Samaritan taxi driver who returned five million yen or 1.3 million baht in cash stuffed in a baggage that a Japanese businessman left in his car was rewarded 54,000 baht for his good deed by the Japanese.

The cabbie, Mr Prathuan Muangrung, said he picked up the Japanese, Mr Watanabe Tetsiro, from Suvarnabhumi international airport to be driven to Silom area.

He said the Japanese then asked to stop at a money exchange office and came back with the Thai baht to pay him the taxi fare and the left for shopping without picking up his baggage.

He said he waited for about 15 minutes and the Japanese still did not show up. But at the time a passenger showed up for a ride to the national stadium which he agreed.

After sending the passenger to the national stadium, the cabbie said he immediately headed back to Suvarnabhumi international airport to report about a forgotten baggage to Mr Sakon Thavornkarn and Ms Jaiton Wirwangpol, two executives of a radio station, so they could make an announcement for the owner to reclaim the baggage.

Mr Prathuan admitted that he was shocked after finding so much money in the baggage but he didnt want to keep them because they did not belong to him.

Mr Watanabe who later reclaimed his baggage with the money said he felt grateful to the cabbie who returned the money to him. He said he carried the cash with him because he intended to use them for his dental care.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/good-samaritan-cabbie-rewarded-for-returning-1-3-million-baht-to-a-japanese

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-03-10

Dental work....no doubt ORAL,type in Nana....☺

I wonder how many Thai gangsters are out looking for this guy now. Single man carrying a bag with a million baht in it.

That is why I don't believe the story. If it was true having a press conference to let the scum of society know it, isn't the best way to go.

• Like 1

I do understand why you don't believe it CelticBhoy................

May be because you wouldn't have done so?

I doubt if I would have done either............but I have to praise the taxi driver.........very honorable indeed...........

Of course, Costas2008, who has of late promoted himself to the keeper of All Things Right and Noble ... has chimed in.

Costas ... as a rabid reader of TV and commenter on just about every topic, you of all people must tire of the very convenient coincidence that whenever there is "trouble in Paradise" concerning taxis, jet ski scams, tuk tuk nightmares ... a Thai taxi driver returns a mountain of gold, a bag of cash, a rare valuable collectable ... etc.

I mean really ... how many times a year do these drivers open a bag, see what is to them an unimaginable sum of money .. life changing for themselves, thier families, friends and future generaations ... and just turn around and chase the owner to an interantional airport, when they could just drive all day and wait to see if anyone finds them first?

Do we really beleive a Japanese tourist is conditioned to remember, or even understands ... that the taxi number is on the door?

I always note it, for many reasons ... but I am not a tourist.

The joke here is not about the honesty of a driver, or if once in a blue moon this is possible ... Thailand is becoming the world's leader in idiots who leave meaningful sums of money and gold in taxi cabs ... in concert with taxi drivers who turn in bags of cash that could me life altering. This is "unbelievable" ... hence the joke.

Lastly, this is Thailand. That same driver could find a person of high placement in a uniform, share a bit of the proceeds and it would be

"Huh?" "Money?" "Taxi?" "Can you prove this?" "Passport please" "Piss in this cup" "The results are not good here" "Would you like to just leave now?" "Goodbye"