American arrested in Bangkok over multi-million dollar US property scam

Jonathan Fairfield

One dies (an American) a couple of days ago upcountry and they catch this one, Maybe things will look up. Now if they would only get the British and Irish guys who run boiler rooms in Bangkok. A few bars and pubs I won't go to because they were bought with money from the boiler rooms.

THAI IMMIGRATION BUREAU ARREST

American arrested in Bangkok over multi-million dollar US property scam

ja.jpg

Joseph Arsenault: image supplied

BANGKOK:-- Joseph Arsenault, an American national and resident of New York, has been arrested in Bangkok for his involvement in a telemarketing scam, which netted fraudsters more than US$20 million from 290 victims in the US and Canada.

Arsenault, who was charged with rape and drug possession in 2007 and previously had a failed career as an actor, was one of 16 individuals involved in the scam to be charged in the United States in November 2014.

The scam involved the gang making unsolicited calls to addresses across 46 states in the US and in Canada, where they claimed they were able to be able to sell property located in Detroit at knockdown prices, which could then be resold to foreign investors and venture capitalists for big profits.

However, despite victims being led to believe that the purchase of property was a profitable way of buying and flipping homes in Detroit, the whole thing was a scam. There were no profits and each property purchased was transferred to a holding company controlled by the fraudsters. Some victims went onto invest in multiple homes with the fraudsters.

The FBI has described how gang members frequently changed their names to avoid arrest and being tracked down by people who had invested in the property scam.

In November the gang were charged with operating a fraudulent telemarketing scheme, along with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and conspiracy to commit international money laundering.

Speaking of the scam, United States Attorney Barbara L. McQuade said:

This nationwide telemarketing fraud not only caused millions of dollars in losses to victims of the scheme, but it also contributed to blight in Detroit neighborhoods.

Thousands of homes were left to fall into decay as a result of these individuals using Detroit real estate as a commodity to accomplish their fraud.

Special Agent Paul M. Abbate also commented on the case saying: The perpetrators in this case stole millions of dollars from hundreds of victims.

However, they did more than steal moneytheir greed and fraud compounded the proliferation of vacant homes left for ruin in far too many Detroit neighborhoods. The FBI is committed to rooting out and bringing to justice those who would commit crimes of this nature and act against the interests of our communities.

Another member of the gang, Gregory Swarn fled to Thailand using a fake passport shortly after being charged.

However, the FBI, along with the U.S. Department of State, Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) located Swarn in Thailand last year and were able to deport him back to the United States.

At the time of his arrest, Swarn was on the DSS Most Wanted List.

Another member of the gang, and a known associate of Swarm, is Erez Arsoni, who is also thought to have fled overseas, however, it is not known if he is in Thailand currently.

tvn.png

-- 2015-03-10

Interesting choice of names

He's called Joe Arsenault..his associate is called Erez Arsoni

Look like a couple of a-holes

Interesting. What does an American name sound like? Pachino? Weinstein? O'Donnell? Obama? How about first names. Are Barak, Woody, Cassius and Luigi American names?

It probably has one of the most diverse mixes of cultures of any country in the world.

As I'm sure you know, almost all converts to Islam adopt an Arabic name. There are many converts in the US. At some point in the future all those Arabic names will become American names.

His name sounds like a completely American name. An African American islamic convert from New York.

The bold-faced para is true, but not really related to the post you quote or with the thread. Kwame and Jackson are not Arabic or Islamic. Kwame is African, usually Ghana. The first sone of Jack was probably English. Rasheed is Islamic/Arabic in origin. It's also used in the US by non-Muslims - I suppose most often by African-Americans. But yes it certainly is (also) an Islamic name, one of the "blessed 99" in fact.

While I say "true", I do think you are behind the curve and every name in your post and every name in my post is an American name today.

Now surely the name of "Kwame Rasheed Jackson" would raise some questions when leaving the US?

It doesn't sound like an American name?

Interesting. What does an American name sound like? Pachino? Weinstein? O'Donnell? Obama? How about first names. Are Barak, Woody, Cassius and Luigi American names?

It probably has one of the most diverse mixes of cultures of any country in the world.

As I'm sure you know, almost all converts to Islam adopt an Arabic name. There are many converts in the US. At some point in the future all those Arabic names will become American names.

His name sounds like a completely American name. An African American islamic convert from New York.

Only American name I in a rush remember is Winnetou !!

Many other names you will find in Criminal history in UK ;

some hundreds year back ;

I always wonder why these criminals. Make there homes in Thailand? sic

these creatures have no homes. the least among us can see this thing will need all the 20 mil. if he is going to ever see sunshine again, when that hair is thin and white. nasty looking self-centered, lost soul. chok di.

Now surely the name of "Kwame Rasheed Jackson" would raise some questions when leaving the US?

Only American name I in a rush remember is Winnetou !!

Many other names you will find in Criminal history in UK ;

some hundreds year back ;

They have Kwame on passport charges somewhere in USA. They'll be playing with them for long time . What is reported here is the tip of the iceberg. Good men / women, they devote entire careers just to get hold of these creeps. Some delay retirement.

One dies (an American) a couple of days ago upcountry and they catch this one, Maybe things will look up. Now if they would only get the British and Irish guys who run boiler rooms in Bangkok. A few bars and pubs I won't go to because they were bought with money from the boiler rooms.

Yes Sir People also die and kill themselves (self murder) from the acts of these deviants. Life on Planet Earth.

Edited by nithisa78

''more than US$20 million from 290 victims''

I'd be slow to call them victims as it's their own greed caused them to lose their money on the other side of a phone. Sorry but not much sympathy here!

My mistake. I wasn't aware they were into the big money pool. Internet issue. No excuses. I apologise. Now these guys are in more trouble than if they stole form the poor.

He just has one of those faces you would like to punch..................sneaky, oily looking bugger, plus he has more hair than me.

Some of the worlds biggest scam artists were very suave and considered handsome. To want to punch someone merely because of their looks, speaks volumes about ones ethics and moral character, more so than the mans abundance of hair.

I didn't take that as the spirit of what was said. My first thought was to pour ice water over his head. I get your point. He doesn't look like the Robin Hood, type. I didn't mean my thought in the literal sense. What you said was helpful to my thought process. Thank you.

• Like 1

given that the US is a country composed almost entirely of immigrants, what exactly does an american name sound like again?

• Like 2

I always wonder why these criminals. Make there homes in Thailand? sic

Obviously they find it easy to leave the US undetected by US law enforcement agencies or US immigrations ... or they know who to slip a little tea money to become "invisible" to US authorities. The same apparently applies to European "entrepreneurs" and those farang police.

Once again it's up to Thai police to do the work of farang police & immigrations.

What insight, you see things with such clarity.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

Too many boiler room scumbags like this in SE Asia. There should be the death penalty for people that deliberately and knowingly cheat others money.

O.T.T.

(Over the Top)

Not for these FOX NEWS morons.

UPDATE

American Joseph Arsenault held in Thailand linked to Detroit housing telemarketing scam

post-128-0-38893100-1425990701_thumb.jpg

Immigration police arrest American Joseph Simon Arsenault at

PB Tower on Sukhumvit soi 71 in Bangkok on Monday. He is

wanted on a US arrest warrant for alleged telemarketing fraud.

(Photo: Courtesy of Royal Thai Immigration Bureau)

BANGKOK: -- Thai police have arrested an American suspected of being part of a group charged with operating a fraudulent Detroit housing telemarketing scheme that caused losses of over $20 million to nearly 300 people, a senior officer said on Tuesday.

New York resident Joseph Simon Arsenault was arrested in Bangkok on Monday after police acted on a request from the U.S. embassy in Bangkok, said Police Major General Warawut Thaweechaiyagarn, investigative commander of Thailand's Immigration Bureau.

Arsenault was one of 16 people charged in 2014 with a range of offences including conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Michigan in Detroit.

"We were asked to pursue this case by the U.S. embassy. Mr. Arsenault was arrested on Monday in Bangkok," Warawut told Reuters.

"We are waiting to send him back to the United States which should happen in the very near future."

Arsenault was not available for comment.

According to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, which investigated the case, Arsenault and 15 others are suspected of operating from call centers in Florida and New York and making calls to individuals across the United States offering to sell homes in Detroit.

The telemarketers, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office, lied about the values of the homes and told investors they were buying bank-owned property that had previously had mortgages worth many times the sale price.

The homes were in reality bought for no more than $500 and sold to investors for between $7,500 and $15,000. The telemarketers then made investors believe the homes had been sold on to foreign buyers or hedge funds for a substantial profit when no such transactions took place, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

(Reporting by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Editing by Nick Macfie)

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-03-10

First. There are no questions when you leave the United States. There is no immigration check. Nor is there profiling. If the name is not on a "no-fly" or fugitive list, there are exactly this many questions: zero. If anyone, American or otherwise, wishes to leave the United States, the US is very happy to see their back, not a regret. The lack of immigration/customs checks at US departure points is a policy, and has been since the country was founded. "If you don't like it, you are free to leave" is not just a meaningless slogan.

Second. Kwame Rasheed Jackson sounds EXACTLY like an American name. All-American, even. Each of those three names is common in the US, and it is not even slightly strange they are together.

I suppose you think Barack Hussein Obama doesn't sound like an American name? And yet, it is. Not only that, no American says it's not. That said, it is not NEARLY as "American-sounding" as Kwame Rasheed Jackson.

While true that Kwame Rasheed Jackson is as American a name as any other (could be mistaken for an NFL WR, and NBA shooting guard, or an MLB DH), he certainly does not look like any Kwame Rasheed Jackson I would expect to meet.