Corruption? at Phuket Immigration.

Immigration Office Chief Sunchai Chokkajaykij , head of Phuket immigration has stated in a local newspaper that non of his officers are involved in making illegal payment requests in respect of services which should be provided free !

The Colonel requests that any such demand for payment be reported directly to him.

I am unsure about posting the link but will do so if a Mod agrees .

Hopefully everybody will call him (the Colonel) when they have to pay for free services.

This is maybe the only way to get it stopped.

The Colonel will be too busy for taking calls from foreigners. He made his appearance saving statement and it ends there.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hopefully everybody will call him (the Colonel) when they have to pay for free services.

The Colonel will be too busy for taking calls from foreigners. He made his appearance saving statement and it ends there.

The last time this issue emerged it resulted in "removals" from the Patong office.

Corruption needs to be confronted !

• Like 2

I am unsure about posting the link but will do so if a Mod agrees .

Phuket Gazette does not object to our quoting from them, as far as I know. I shall put it into the next post. Thank you for having brought this up.

Phuket Immigration extortion allegations denied
Phuket Gazette - March 10, 2015 | 05:57 PM
PHUKET: The Phuket Immigration chief has asked foreigners who believe they have witnessed extortion at the hands of his officers, while applying for address verification letters and other free services, to report such incidents directly to him.

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-03-10

Edited by ubonjoe
Reduced to one line of text to meet usage requirements set by Phuket Gazette

The last time this issue emerged it resulted in "removals" from the Patong office.

That was an interesting case, reported by the Phuket Gazette here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Patong-immigration-officer-removed-amid-corruption-claims/43974

To summarise:

A foreigner got charged 500 Baht for a confirmation of address letter by an immigration officer in Patong and filed a complaint with the ombudsman.

1. The ombudsman passed the complaint on the provincial governor.
  2. The governor asked the chief of immigration to explain within 15 days.
  3. The chief of immigration transferred the errant officer to another location.
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That was an interesting case, reported by the Phuket Gazette here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Patong-immigration-officer-removed-amid-corruption-claims/43974

To summarise:
A foreigner got charged 500 Baht for a confirmation of address letter by an immigration officer in Patong and filed a complaint with the ombudsman.

1. The ombudsman passed the complaint on the provincial governor.
  2. The governor asked the chief of immigration to explain within 15 days.
  3. The chief of immigration transferred the errant officer to another location.

Not one errant officer but all errant officers !

There was a significant clear out from the Patong office !

BTW

Many thanks for posting the article from the PG

Corruption can and must be confronted

• Like 1

Phuket Immigration extortion allegations denied
Phuket Gazette - March 10, 2015 | 05:57 PM
PHUKET: The Phuket Immigration chief has asked foreigners who believe they have witnessed extortion at the hands of his officers, while applying for address verification letters and other free services, to report such incidents directly to him.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2015-03-10

250 baht for address verification at Pattaya immigration

I just don't get this "transfer (insert government title here) to another office" crap. These criminal offenders need to be fired and prosecuted.

They can never get fired and prosecuted here. Everyone is corrupted and it's normal here. Just move them around so they can scam people in other places.

Corruption at Samui immigration?

Last year I was not asked the 1900 Baht for my yearly extension but shamelessly 5000 Baht

It was the first one and honestly I did not know the right amount.

What shall I do next time ? (4month) honestly I do not know sad.png

It is not just Phuket. Samui and other tourist areas have the same problem.

However, considering the Thai mentality of shooting the messenger in order to hide the problem, I think people should be a little careful when calling the immigration boss in order to inform on his staff. Odds are all that will happen is more trouble with your visa. Keep in mind, the immigration boss may not get paid directly, but he most likely gets a substantial cut from whatever his staff gets paid by visa applicants.

• Like 1

To summarise:

• The ombudsman passed the complaint on the provincial governor.
  • The governor asked the chief of immigration to explain within 15 days.
  • The chief of immigration transferred the errant officer to another location.

Proof that the system works!

I went to Chachoengsao Immigration a few months back for a proof of residency document. Expected to pay 200Baht, was asked 500. When I asked to see where it said that it costs that much, the woman said it was "helping money" and if I didn't want to pay I could always go to Bangkok.

I asked to see her superior. She said ok and entered a door (which I know is only the door to the staircase) and came back after 2 seconds saying he was not in and I was welcome to wait. I knew it was BS so in the end I grudgingly agreed because I needed the document quickly and didn't have the time to go to Bangkok.

The 'kind' officer made a point of making me wait for over an hour while they were doing nothing.

When she finally presented the document, I paid and I asked for a receipt, at which point she exploded and tore up the paper in front of me, shouting and telling me to go out. I told her she should be ashamed of herself. I had a few other things in my mind I wanted to tell her, but amazingly I managed to keep them to myself.

In the end I had to ask another (really friendly) officer to get the document and eventually got it.

I wish I knew the relevant number to call for these kind of extortions.

You should take a photo of the officer and record your conversation. Upload it to you tube and send it the office of the PM.

put it on forums Thai and English. Take it your embassy. Take it to newspapers.

• Like 1

It is not just Phuket. Samui and other tourist areas have the same problem.

However, considering the Thai mentality of shooting the messenger in order to hide the problem, I think people should be a little careful when calling the immigration boss in order to inform on his staff. Odds are all that will happen is more trouble with your visa. Keep in mind, the immigration boss may not get paid directly, but he most likely gets a substantial cut from whatever his staff gets paid by visa applicants.

in order to take on the Immigration you will need influence or power. They know that 99% don't have such power and if they did they would use it for 500 baht or so.

I once thought of using some inflential friend against an officer. Lucky I didn't as the army kicked him out. Thais love revenge - just take a look at what the army are doing to fight corruption and guess who they are hurting- the police of course. Wait 5 years and all the army led corrupt activities will be getting hit unless Prayuth manages to hurt the police mafia so bad the army will "the power" for many years.

Have you any idea how much it costs to get a position in a busy immigration office?

So much hypocrisy from foreigners saying they are againt corruption yet pay for a letter of residence.

Stand up for your "rights" or shut up and integrate. Learn Thai and get discount or free.

I like corruption and partake in it but incidentally never had to pay for such a letter.

I know many who are against corruption yet don't want to travel to do the 90 day report so pay the officer or pay not to get the letter from embassy or bank. why? Because it is convenient for them.Everyone gains. Yet they moan about corruption in other areas.

Phuket has so many clueless tourists that are fair game in my opinion. If you are an expat, you should know the game and how to get around obstacles. Make a joke, take them a bunch of bananas etc.

Corruption is here to stay. Fight it or accept it and learn how to benefit fron it.

it would take many years to change and not in any of our life times.

Your second last sentence is a cracker Neeranam.

I went to Chachoengsao Immigration a few months back for a proof of residency document. Expected to pay 200Baht, was asked 500. When I asked to see where it said that it costs that much, the woman said it was "helping money" and if I didn't want to pay I could always go to Bangkok.

I asked to see her superior. She said ok and entered a door (which I know is only the door to the staircase) and came back after 2 seconds saying he was not in and I was welcome to wait. I knew it was BS so in the end I grudgingly agreed because I needed the document quickly and didn't have the time to go to Bangkok.

The 'kind' officer made a point of making me wait for over an hour while they were doing nothing.

When she finally presented the document, I paid and I asked for a receipt, at which point she exploded and tore up the paper in front of me, shouting and telling me to go out. I told her she should be ashamed of herself. I had a few other things in my mind I wanted to tell her, but amazingly I managed to keep them to myself.

In the end I had to ask another (really friendly) officer to get the document and eventually got it.

You should take a photo of the officer and record your conversation. Upload it to you tube and send it the office of the PM.

Great idea, but I don't think it would go down well if you took a photo of the officer.

I got a Letter of Residency yesterday from Patong - after all the hoo-haa about 'proving' where I live and who is the landlord for my recent Retirement Extension at Phuket Town , and yet another piece of paper stapled in my PP saying its all been done , I HAVE to again 'prove' where I live to upgrade my drivers license to '5 Years'

On Monday , the girl who does them at Patong wasnt there , so I had lined up for nothing

Yesterday she was there and quite efficient , even more so after we had exchanged pleasantries about her various 'kanom' (snacks)

We were in a back office area , so I was prepared for a request for sin bon

The boss came in and made small talk , but I could see he gave the girl a look when she didnt ask me for anything as she handed over the letter

The thing is , the letter proves nothing , and is a complete waste of time for all parties involved

I could photocopy a lease agreement and falsify it in 5 minutes - the letter only verifies whatever details I present

• Like 2

Call NACC on 1111 and report the officer. Try to get a look at his/her name on the uniform. NACC will tell you that they will look in to it and you can get always call them back to hear whats beeing done about the "case".

I wish all would do it but seems like somebody want to support corruption and whine about it same time ....bah.gif

Edited by Johnny S

Great idea, but I don't think it would go down well if you took a photo of the officer.

Actually I did take her picture (from afar) and asked her for her full name. Not sure if I still have it though.

Maybe you would care to explain how they are supposed to live without their Tea money?

Seems to me it would be next to impossible, unless you were moonlighting as a TukTuk driver.

• Like 1