Corruption? at Phuket Immigration.

Sheer nonsense that this is news. !5 years ago a friend obtained, via, a 10.000 B bribe, an unqualified visa by having the Immigration Officer himself driving the friend, overnight to Panang, never visited a Thai Embassy there and, in 24 hours had his visa.

Everyone, yes, everyone. has known for decades that bribery will get you almost any form of visa at any Thai Immigration Office. " Connected lawyers and Immigration officials" are not hard to find -- just look at the ads in the newspapers " guaranteeing visas in spite of previous refusals qualifications, etc."

I went to Chachoengsao Immigration a few months back for a proof of residency document. Expected to pay 200Baht, was asked 500. When I asked to see where it said that it costs that much, the woman said it was "helping money" and if I didn't want to pay I could always go to Bangkok.

I asked to see her superior. She said ok and entered a door (which I know is only the door to the staircase) and came back after 2 seconds saying he was not in and I was welcome to wait. I knew it was BS so in the end I grudgingly agreed because I needed the document quickly and didn't have the time to go to Bangkok.

The 'kind' officer made a point of making me wait for over an hour while they were doing nothing.

When she finally presented the document, I paid and I asked for a receipt, at which point she exploded and tore up the paper in front of me, shouting and telling me to go out. I told her she should be ashamed of herself. I had a few other things in my mind I wanted to tell her, but amazingly I managed to keep them to myself.

In the end I had to ask another (really friendly) officer to get the document and eventually got it.

I wish I knew the relevant number to call for these kind of extortions.

You should take a photo of the officer and record your conversation. Upload it to you tube and send it the office of the PM.

put it on forums Thai and English. Take it your embassy. Take it to newspapers.

Exactly!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hopefully everybody will call him (the Colonel) when they have to pay for free services.

This is maybe the only way to get it stopped.

The Colonel will be too busy for taking calls from foreigners. He made his appearance saving statement and it ends there.

The last time this issue emerged it resulted in "removals" from the Patong office.

Corruption needs to be confronted !

Last time I applied for Residency Certificate in Chiang Mai, I was hit for ฿500.

I don't think the illegal payments are restricted to only one office.

in order to take on the Immigration you will need influence or power...

In Phuket, it was the Ombudsman who stirred up the hornet's nest, following a complaint by a foreigner. Do other provinces also have an Ombudsman?

• Like 1

The taking of photographs at immigrations is restricted, doing so will only cause you more problems when the Police arrive.

I went to Chachoengsao Immigration a few months back for a proof of residency document. Expected to pay 200Baht, was asked 500. When I asked to see where it said that it costs that much, the woman said it was "helping money" and if I didn't want to pay I could always go to Bangkok.
I asked to see her superior. She said ok and entered a door (which I know is only the door to the staircase) and came back after 2 seconds saying he was not in and I was welcome to wait. I knew it was BS so in the end I grudgingly agreed because I needed the document quickly and didn't have the time to go to Bangkok.
The 'kind' officer made a point of making me wait for over an hour while they were doing nothing.
When she finally presented the document, I paid and I asked for a receipt, at which point she exploded and tore up the paper in front of me, shouting and telling me to go out. I told her she should be ashamed of herself. I had a few other things in my mind I wanted to tell her, but amazingly I managed to keep them to myself.
In the end I had to ask another (really friendly) officer to get the document and eventually got it.

You should take a photo of the officer and record your conversation. Upload it to you tube and send it the office of the PM.

The problem is not only Phuket immigration but everywhere, officer asks/expects money for residence certificate/ other paperwork.

Farang does not want problems, so pays for something that should be free.

So it goes on and on. Farang expects to pay /officer expects money. Never ends.

Take along relevant government paperwork, show it and refuse to pay.

Ok you shout we will get problems in future. No if you do not break laws/rules, you will be ok.

I was asked once for 500 baht for residence certificate, i said no it is free, ok up to you i was told got my certificate and left ,no problem.

good so the moral of this is dont give in to intimidation

The taking of photographs at immigrations is restricted, doing so will only cause you more problems when the Police arrive.

in all thai offices you will find a poster, photographs prohibited !!

Would anybody applying for the Residence Certificate in Phuket like to try this?

1. Print a copy of the two Phuket Gazette articles, fold them and put them in an envelope.
  2. If and when the immigration officer wants money for the certificate, give him/her this envelope.

attachicon.gifPhuket Gazette 20150310 Phuket Immigration extortion.pdf

attachicon.gifPhuket Gazette 20150106 Patong immigration officer removed.pdf

sure;

and than find out ur extension has been cancelled

or u get a visit from the BIB

no thanks

• Like 1

Probably more to the point would be to give the immigration officer an envelope with a copy of the Thai text of section 149 of the Criminal Code, the English translation of which reads as follows:

Section 149 Whoever, being an official, member of the State legislative Assembly, member of the Changwat Assembly or member of the Municipal Assembly, wrongfully demands, accepts or agrees to accept for himself or the other person a property or any other benefit for exercising or not exercising any of his functions, whether such exercise or non-exercise of his functions is wrongful or not, shall be punished with imprisonment of five to twenty years or imprisonment for life, and fined of two thousand to forty thousand Baht, or death.

Source: http://www.thailandlawonline.com/laws-in-thailand/thailand-criminal-law-text-translation#penal-1

• Like 1

sure;

and than find out ur extension has been cancelled

or u get a visit from the BIB

no thanks

What happened to the foreigner who complained to the Ombudsman that he was charged 500 Baht for the residence certificate? Was his extension of stay cancelled? Did he get a visit from the Royal Thai Police?

I should think that an officer would prefer being given the chance to do the right thing rather than being reported, reprimanded and transferred.

• Like 1

There is the option of giving the officer an envelope with the Thai text of Section 144 of the Criminal code, with the comment "I don't want to go to prison for five years"

Section 144 Whoever, giving, offering or agreeing to give the property or any other benefit to the official, member of State Legislative Assembly, member of Provincial Assembly or member of Municipal Assembly so as to induce such person to do or not to do any act, or to delay the doing of any act contrary to one's own duty, shall be imprisoned not out of five years or fined not out of ten thousand Baht, or both.

Immigration ARE police

And your name will spread like wildfire and you will never get Immigration service again and be stopped and refused entry on your very next reentry. The Colonel already he stated he does not believe the grift happens. Thats pretty much fair warning to keep your mouth shut.

And your name will spread like wildfire and you will never get Immigration service again and be stopped and refused entry on your very next reentry. The Colonel already he stated he does not believe the grift happens. Thats pretty much fair warning to keep your mouth shut.

Nonsense. Petty corruption doesn't reach so far, and can't be vindictive. Pay up yourself if you wish, but do not scaremonge to induce others to your same condition.

The problem is not only Phuket immigration but everywhere, officer asks/expects money for residence certificate/ other paperwork.

Farang does not want problems, so pays for something that should be free.

So it goes on and on. Farang expects to pay /officer expects money. Never ends.

Take along relevant government paperwork, show it and refuse to pay.

Ok you shout we will get problems in future. No if you do not break laws/rules, you will be ok.

I was asked once for 500 baht for residence certificate, i said no it is free, ok up to you i was told got my certificate and left ,no problem.

I have always felt nervous about that type of situation since reading once of a 'difficult customer' , who they would not return his passport to. I believe he had to come back and apologise to the immigration officer, and sign a letter declaring he was at fault.

I am a well dressed lamb in there. :D

I am glad it worked out for you.

Every month I need to go to immigration for a paper proof of life for my pension.

Its a free service.

One time I went and at reception a Thai and a farang volunteer told me........200 bath.

I asked them for a receipt.

Can not.

I said if I pay I want a receipt.

They gave me my paper which was already stamped and signed.....the farang gave me my passport back and spoke very badly with me, really threatening me.

Next month I went to another officer and no problem.

"Every month I need to go to immigration for a paper proof of life for my pension"

I have never heard of anyone having to do this on a monthly basis and it is not a service normally provided for by immigration.

Edited by nzexpat

Every month I need to go to immigration for a paper proof of life for my pension.

Its a free service.

One time I went and at reception a Thai and a farang volunteer told me........200 bath.

Can not.

They gave me my paper which was already stamped and signed.....the farang gave me my passport back and spoke very badly with me, really threatening me.

Which immigration office was this ?

Always wonder about this "give me a receipt" thing. A dodgy piece of paper with a scrawl. What does it matter or prove.

We are talking about official receipts, the ones that are made in triple copy. That proves that monies paid goes to the Kingdom. No receipt otherwise.

Edited by paz

Its a free service.

Can not.

get the farangs name and take him out.

Always wonder about this "give me a receipt" thing. A dodgy piece of paper with a scrawl. What does it matter or prove.

We are talking about official receipts, the ones that are made in triple copy. That proves that monies paid goes to the Kingdom. No receipt otherwise.

It proves nothing. One must assume they could find an extra stack of official looking receipts in triplicate somewhere.

Thailand has plenty of fakes, copies, and pirated goods.

Hi all, I live in Khon Kaen, I deal with Khon Kaen immigration officers there and my experience has been nothing less than fantastic I never have any problems the staff are very professional and helpful, and we all have laugh when my business has been finish.

So no complaints from me.

Out of curiosity, next time you go for the laugh, ask how much a residence certificate cost, and if a receipt is given :)