Know your rights, stop the myths

konying

The number for the Consumer Protection Board is 1166.

I had an issue recently with a Home Shop depot. Paid 110 baht for a 4m board that I wanted cutting into 8 pieces of 495mm. I was charged 25 baht for the cutting service. After cutting every piece was cut at an angle, not straight, the saw wasn't obviously set at a 90 degree angle.

I immediately complained and they offered to cut me another piece, free of the cutting charge, but 110 baht for another board.

It's not the cost, but the principal at times. I've spent over 257,000 baht at that store. I didn't bother with reporting the issue to the Consumer Protection Board, instead choosing to withdraw any more purchases from that store. I made it very clear to the manager it was their loss and Home Pro's gain.

Sometimes it's easier to 'bite the bullet', walk away and hit them where it hurts......in their pockets.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 2

I had an issue recently with a Home Shop depot. Paid 110 baht for a 4m board that I wanted cutting into 8 pieces of 495mm. I was charged 25 baht for the cutting service. After cutting every piece was cut at an angle, not straight, the saw wasn't obviously set at a 90 degree angle.

I immediately complained and they offered to cut me another piece, free of the cutting charge, but 110 baht for another board.

It's not the cost, but the principal at times. I've spent over 257,000 baht at that store. I didn't bother with reporting the issue to the Consumer Protection Board, instead choosing to withdraw any more purchases from that store. I made it very clear to the manager it was their loss and Home Pro's gain.

Sometimes it's easier to 'bite the bullet', walk away and hit them where it hurts......in their pockets.

any shops around Pattaya with cutting service?

OP, thank you very much for the information.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone behind these numbers speak English?whistling.gif

Yes and no. Consumer board has an English soeaking officer, he is actually almost fluent.

Others have people who can speak English , however speaking thai or having someone who speaks thai makes life easier, no misunderstanding and repeating yourself numerous times.

You are under the assumption manager or staff care. They do not , it's not their money or their profits.

In your case there was no need to complain, because they fixed the problem.

In many cases they do not , often refuse to honour warranties or keep telling customer next week for months on.

• Like 2

manarak, on 11 Mar 2015 - 10:10, said:
Faz, on 11 Mar 2015 - 10:01, said:

any shops around Pattaya with cutting service?

All the hairdresser shops offer a cutting service cheesy.gif (Sorry, couldn't resist)

i think most people are for one reason or another reluctant to complain..... fear of failure or unsure about where, who, what etc. This lack of confidence then leads them to advise others to do the same.

Consumer laws and customer service are in their infancy in Thailand and there is a strong but legally questionable culture of "caveat emptor" - however I have had a huge amount of success over the last decade when complaining to companies and institutions that have failed to deliver on their promises or expectations.

my advise to those who feel they have been wronged - is

first decide HOW you have been wronged.

Then, decided on what you want to put it right.

Thirdly - GO FOR IT! - in an orderly and methodical way.

Excellent summary of government agencies to contact for help.

But how effective are they?

It would be interesting to hear from people who filed complaints; and how they were dealt with.

Have used all I mentioned with satisfactory outcome.

konying, on 11 Mar 2015 - 10:40, said:

You are under the assumption manager or staff care. They do not , it's not their money or their profits.

In your case there was no need to complain, because they fixed the problem.

In many cases they do not , often refuse to honour warranties or keep telling customer next week for months on.

Eh! How did they fix the problem?

Why should I pay again for something that I already paid for but they ruined, even if they did offer to cut it for free second time.

I walked away 135 baht light. I left the pieces of useless cut board for them to dispose of.

They offered to cut it free for you again, this is how

Thank you for this information. It's the best post I've seen here in years. How might one find how to contact City Hall out in the provinces?

Either Google , or visit or police station or call 1111 and ask for contact info in your province

"Thailand, just like any other country in the world has laws and agency's which enforce it"

Well, got it half right.... it's a start

This is how myths get created ;)

Yes thailand has laws and yes thailand has agencies, but when no one complains nothing gets enforced

• Like 1

ha ha Mr faz. I dont think homepro will notice.... 257k is penuts to them pal.

members of this forum crack me up

You are right, but try to know how efficient and useful they are and they you will know that people posts are not myths...

As already posted 3 times , very effective and those who were not successful either posting rubbish or were in the wrong to start with.

To put it in perspective for you, I managed to get a refund on a 1 year old bike which kept breaking .

I have managed to shut down a bar next to my business which kept people up till 5am

I have managed to shut down weekly street party by one neighbour who not only blasted music from 6 am but blocked entire soi .

I have managed to stop telco from disconnecting my phone because of them sending out bills late.

Have managed to get an upgraded phone from telco because they kept delaying replacing broken one.

Have managed to get free LED TV from LG, because their technician broke mine claiming it was broken, and list goes on.

So yes, all agencies are effective, in some cases it's best to insist on bkk handling it because locally , some people open to "donations"

• Like 1

ghworker2010, on 11 Mar 2015 - 13:39, said:

ha ha Mr faz. I dont think homepro will notice.... 257k is penuts to them pal.

members of this forum crack me up

Was the pun intended...........peanuts.......crack me up.

You should see a doctor

Principle dear fellow, not cost.