Know your rights, stop the myths

konying

They offered Faz a 25 Baht discount on a 270 Baht charge, which was supposed to be only 135 Baht in total, so how they solved the problem?

They cut it free, but he had to buy a new board.

Yes not ideal solution, hardly worth the time to take it any further or throw a hissy fit.

Please save your usual trolling for another thread.

One would really go to waste courts time over 100 baht=$3?bah.gif

He didn't waste time, he voted with his feet.

How's life these days, lemoncake?

As i said previously, go troll somewhere else.

Gottcha

photo-157118.gif,q_r=1359295600.pagespee

Theory vs practice

Practice is largely down to the person complaining and I've witnessed loads of instances where they have literally talked their way OUT of a solution.

Quite frankly it's good to have these numbers but whether a lot of consumer problems are resolved or not comes down to the negotiating abilities of the customer.....and my experience in Thailand is that the average foreigner is more than useless when it comes to dealing with this.

then having made a cod's ear of the whole escapade they have the temerity to turn round and blame "Thais" or everybody else for the lack of solution to their problem

Near us there was a dog that howled all day as it was left alone ,my wife got in touch with city hall and they called on the owners who got it sorted ,the dog was left with someone else when they were away .

Near us there was a dog that howled all day as it was left alone ,my wife got in touch with city hall and they called on the owners who got it sorted ,the dog was left with someone else when they were away .

Had similar problem not with howling but the dog being left outside 24/7. The only one in 108 houses a lot with dogs. The offending mutt always hungry turned over bins, pissed on motorbikes and cars and did his rear end stuff anywhere he liked including in front of my gate. Pattaya City hall and the health department's veterinary dept. were most helpful as were the local police. The dog moved out taking his owners with him to do the same 500 meters away despite being told it was wrong and being given official warnings in writing. Handled it all myself. Learnt recently the dog got run over and killed.

Theory vs practice

Practice is largely down to the person complaining and I've witnessed loads of instances where they have literally talked their way OUT of a solution.

Quite frankly it's good to have these numbers but whether a lot of consumer problems are resolved or not comes down to the negotiating abilities of the customer.....and my experience in Thailand is that the average foreigner is more than useless when it comes to dealing with this.

then having made a cod's ear of the whole escapade they have the temerity to turn round and blame "Thais" or everybody else for the lack of solution to their problem

Yep, I've seen the 'talking their way OUT of a solution' go on quite a lot. It never ceases to amaze me. I'm guessing that they get so carried away with blowing off steam that they can't stop for the solution and steam right past it.

Problem where I used to live on the beach was locals would come at night with their Boom Box Car speakers and turn the volume up so high the house would vibrate from the dense base. At first used to call the police, they would respond, the offenders would either turn the volume down or leave. When the police left same thing would occur, either same person would turn the volume back up or somebody else would just come with the loud music!

One night when this scenario occurred again I called the police, police came but music continued. Next day police showed up at my doorstep to explain.....The offender was the son of a general with a gun, so he concluded if he persisted in enforcing the law he would either be shot or at the least, he would lose his job. So nothing done to the offender. As I was fairly new to Thailand, I understood, Thanked him, and thereafter moved.....ended up buying and building a fairly soundproof house (double walls, 12mm double pane windows and concrete ceiling)....Sleep great now and the music is no bother although it stills continues.

Soooo ...some myths still persist, especially if the offender is connected whistling.gif

Edited by beachproperty

Problem where I used to live on the beach was locals would come at night with their Boom Box Car speakers and turn the volume up so high the house would vibrate from the dense base. At first used to call the police, they would respond, the offenders would either turn the volume down or leave. When the police left same thing would occur, either same person would turn the volume back up or somebody else would just come with the loud music!

One night when this scenario occurred again I called the police, police came but music continued. Next day police showed up at my doorstep to explain.....The offender was the son of a general with a gun, so he concluded if he persisted in enforcing the law he would either be shot or at the least, he would lose his job. So nothing done to the offender. As I was fairly new to Thailand, I understood, Thanked him, and thereafter moved.....ended up buying and building a fairly soundproof house (double walls, 12mm double pane windows and concrete ceiling)....Sleep great now and the music is no bother although it stills continues.

Soooo ...some myths still persist, especially if the offender is connected whistling.gif

"When I used to live on the beach"

Perhaps you should move off the beach and into a house or condo. 555

No offense intended

No offense intended

Why? ....I want to live on the beach.

Doubled my money on the first place (And was REALLY happy when it sold....obviously)....Tried to retrofit it with soundproofing but not the same as starting from scratch so took the money from the sale of the first place and bought another beach property (land) and built a soundproof place. Problem solved.thumbsup.gif

Rancid, on 11 Mar 2015 - 18:47, said:

Faz, on 11 Mar 2015 - 10:01, said:

The number for the Consumer Protection Board is 1166.

I had an issue recently with a Home Shop depot. Paid 110 baht for a 4m board that I wanted cutting into 8 pieces of 495mm. I was charged 25 baht for the cutting service. After cutting every piece was cut at an angle, not straight, the saw wasn't obviously set at a 90 degree angle.

I immediately complained and they offered to cut me another piece, free of the cutting charge, but 110 baht for another board.

It's not the cost, but the principal at times. I've spent over 257,000 baht at that store. I didn't bother with reporting the issue to the Consumer Protection Board, instead choosing to withdraw any more purchases from that store. I made it very clear to the manager it was their loss and Home Pro's gain.

Sometimes it's easier to 'bite the bullet', walk away and hit them where it hurts......in their pockets.

Looking at my house there doesn't seem to be a right angle anywhere, the walls are crooked, as are the doors, the kitchen, the roof, the curtains, the TV, the windows etc.

Why do you feel that you can should, against all cultural norms, get anything cut straight or at a right angle?

Because that's the service I paid for. Nothing to do with culture, just failure to check the angle of the saw before cutting and then expecting me to pay for their mistakes. Poor workmanship and lethargic attitudes are one reason Thailand is falling behind the rest.

Pride in a job well done also doesn't seem to exist. A big part of the problem I see is that the workers on houses and condos (now mostly Cambodian or Burmese in my area) have no idea what they are building. In their foreseeable lifetimes they will never live in anything remotely like what they are being asked to build. They don't see what a problem out of alignment walls can be when you try and put in the furniture. They don't see what a problem it is when the floor tiling is laid on your condo balcony so that when it rains the water flows into the condo not the drain. I kinda feel sorry for them, they are just trying to make a buck, and don't blame them so much as the supervisor, foremen etc who are in charge of them and should work along side and show them the proper way. This is why I chose to employ men only (went through a few before I ended up with 3 great ones. Not so much great in skills but great in that they would listen to what I wanted and the way I wanted it done) and supervise myself.

My wife and I have done a few renos to the point where she knows mostly what is going on.

We just did a quick one on a town house, gut, retile, new walls, doors etc. The guys we found were cheap but at least copped criticism. The wife just kept telling them how to do things. Two other ones left saying that she complained too much.

The moral being that you can use unskilled labour but you or a foreman needs to be constantly watching them.

• Like 1

No offense intended

Doubled my money on the first place (And was REALLY happy when it sold....obviously)....Tried to retrofit it with soundproofing but not the same as starting from scratch so took the money from the sale of the first place and bought another beach property (land) and built a soundproof place. Problem solved.thumbsup.gif

Oh dear I think you missed it.

You said ON the beach. In Thailand you can't do that you mean AT the beach or beach front. ON the beach gets too much sand in places you don't want sand to be.

And all the beaches are public property.

• Like 1

The moe and the district office and the local police were harassing me quite a bit. I went to the ombudsman office in changwatana. They were the loveliest people. Got the dsi to come visit my house and check what they were complaining about. They worked within the law and made sure everyone else did also.

If you have a problem with any government officials that is not following the rules. I fully recommend the ombudsman office.

Wonderful place.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can we also call the consumer protection board for dangerous electricity in the moobaan?

I have put complaints allready but they don't give a dime, it's just waiting for somebody to get killed by it.

And can we do it anonymous? I don't want to be the complaining farang since i have asked them allready to fix it but it's a big naked wire-mess again...in the lawn where loads of people walk daily.

I would of thought the local residents would be happy with you for removing this hazard. We are talking pre-meter i.e the electric company side? I've found them more than helpful when I've contacted them.

I guess it is after the meter from the property developer of the moobaan, but there are naked wires all over the place in the lawns and next to the walking paths. If my dog pee's on them he's gone but there are also many children playing there. And in the rain it all gets soaked.

After i complainted last time they put plastic boxes over the wires, they are all broken now. If you step on them they will crack and at night nobody sees them. Also the hatches from all streetlanterns are open without the hatch and there are wires going in/out of those openings who are just connected with tape. Any kid can touch them. If something happens i hope/guess the property developer is responsible, there is no pu yai baan yet. But i just want it to be safe.

Did you call the electricity authority?

How do you know it's live?

I pissed on a live wire once in Scotland and blew up a fuse box causing massive damage to a block of flats. Quite a few had to go to hospital for smoke inhalation. I felt nothing apart from guilt.

Edited by Neeranam

No offense intended

Oh dear I think you missed it.

You said ON the beach. In Thailand you can't do that you mean AT the beach or beach front. ON the beach gets too much sand in places you don't want sand to be.

And all the beaches are public property.

No ....Dear....I think you missed it....

Point was dealing with the police and a noise problem......

Obviously you're hard of hearing so the boom box noise wouldn't bother you anyway...cheesy.gifwhistling.gif

AND ...by the way...I did get your pun..."on the beach"..might have been funny when I was 12...coffee1.gif

Edited by beachproperty

konying, on 13 Mar 2015 - 00:42, said:
Anthony5, on 13 Mar 2015 - 00:27, said:

They offered Faz a 25 Baht discount on a 270 Baht charge, which was supposed to be only 135 Baht in total, so how they solved the problem?

Yes not ideal solution, hardly worth the time to take it any further or throw a hissy fit.

Konying, I didn't buy another board if you read my post correctly.

The point I was making, (and your correct my issue wasn't worth taking any further) is that another way to deal with smaller issues is to vote with your feet and just walk away, having made it clear that I thought their 'customer relations and service' was disgusting and I wouldn't be spending my money there again.

The 'cost' wasn't the problem, 'face' was. They just refused to admit they were at fault.

In contrast, I've returned a battery drill and 2 mats to Home Pro, which were replaced with no quibbles.

konying, on 13 Mar 2015 - 00:42, said:

Anthony5, on 13 Mar 2015 - 00:27, said:

Konying, I didn't buy another board if you read my post correctly.

The point I was making, (and your correct my issue wasn't worth taking any further) is that another way to deal with smaller issues is to vote with your feet and just walk away, having made it clear that I thought their 'customer relations and service' was disgusting and I wouldn't be spending my money there again.

The 'cost' wasn't the problem, 'face' was. They just refused to admit they were at fault.

In contrast, I've returned a battery drill and 2 mats to Home Pro, which were replaced with no quibbles.

The guy who cut it wrong would probably have to pay for the new board himself. I doubt that HomePro would absorb the cost. The drill and mats would be sent back to manufacturers for replacement. No skin off HomePro's nose except for the administration.

And believe me I've returned stuff (not to HP) and seen it put back on the self for sale to the next sucker.

Edited by Keesters

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is an informative OP. Perhaps could it be pinned? Perhaps after a few more constructive additions?

Already there:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/109057-thai-government-web-sites/

If anyone has any other "Government" only departments to add, please PM them to me.

Thanks to you, and OP.

I think in thailand knowing a high ranking policeman is a normal way of getting justice.

I have also been told police are like snakes, you can/should never trust one.

So be careful?

But like snakes not all are poisonous.