Know your rights, stop the myths

konying

The number for the Consumer Protection Board is 1166.

I had an issue recently with a Home Shop depot. Paid 110 baht for a 4m board that I wanted cutting into 8 pieces of 495mm. I was charged 25 baht for the cutting service. After cutting every piece was cut at an angle, not straight, the saw wasn't obviously set at a 90 degree angle.

I immediately complained and they offered to cut me another piece, free of the cutting charge, but 110 baht for another board.

It's not the cost, but the principal at times. I've spent over 257,000 baht at that store. I didn't bother with reporting the issue to the Consumer Protection Board, instead choosing to withdraw any more purchases from that store. I made it very clear to the manager it was their loss and Home Pro's gain.

Sometimes it's easier to 'bite the bullet', walk away and hit them where it hurts......in their pockets.

Looking at my house there doesn't seem to be a right angle anywhere, the walls are crooked, as are the doors, the kitchen, the roof, the curtains, the TV, the windows etc.

Why do you feel that you can should, against all cultural norms, get anything cut straight or at a right angle?

I had an issue recently with a Home Shop depot. Paid 110 baht for a 4m board that I wanted cutting into 8 pieces of 495mm. I was charged 25 baht for the cutting service. After cutting every piece was cut at an angle, not straight, the saw wasn't obviously set at a 90 degree angle.

I immediately complained and they offered to cut me another piece, free of the cutting charge, but 110 baht for another board.

It's not the cost, but the principal at times. I've spent over 257,000 baht at that store. I didn't bother with reporting the issue to the Consumer Protection Board, instead choosing to withdraw any more purchases from that store. I made it very clear to the manager it was their loss and Home Pro's gain.

Sometimes it's easier to 'bite the bullet', walk away and hit them where it hurts......in their pockets.

Looking at my house there doesn't seem to be a right angle anywhere, the walls are crooked, as are the doors, the kitchen, the roof, the curtains, the TV, the windows etc.

Why do you feel that you can should, against all cultural norms, get anything cut straight or at a right angle?

Hiring your own labour and supervising it yourself. Worked out way cheaper and better than having a "builder" do it.

What about health or environmental issues. Have some land near me that has become a moving rubbish tip. Moves because of all the rats that live in it. Pattaya city hall did nothing although they did help on another case.

Interestingly the Thai families that live opposite it and definitely have something to do with creating it are completely oblivious to it.

Edited by Keesters

What about health or environmental issues. Have some land near me that has become a moving rubbish tip. Moves because of all the rats that live in it. Pattaya city hall did nothing although they did help on another case.

Interestingly the Thai families that live opposite it and definitely have something to do with creating it are completely oblivious to it.

Health i have no idea, but also would like to know.

The land issue, i would try 1111, if they do not deal with that, hopefully they can suggest who to contact.

I am guessing land and forestry department,i am thinking 1111 should be able to handle that, as they are the call center for all government agency's.

Perhaps mentioning people responsible for it can be identified, would make their job easier and faster, as they would recover the costs of cleaning up from those people.

If you do contact 1111, keep us updated please, would be interested to know how it plans out.

Health i have no idea, but also would like to know.

The land issue, i would try 1111, if they do not deal with that, hopefully they can suggest who to contact.

I am guessing land and forestry department,i am thinking 1111 should be able to handle that, as they are the call center for all government agency's.

Perhaps mentioning people responsible for it can be identified, would make their job easier and faster, as they would recover the costs of cleaning up from those people.

If you do contact 1111, keep us updated please, would be interested to know how it plans out.

Thanks. Health & environment for the same land case

Health because of the rats and the stink

Environment because its ugly.

Btw I tried the health department on soi buakhow but its a maze and nobody could send me to the right office. The veterinary section in the basement is very helpful on picking up soi & beach dogs that are dangerous. Sorry no phone numbers.

This post is an absolute love-fest...all the foreigners taken to the cleaners in Thailand for one reason or another...it is their own fault...help was just a phone call away...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Rancid, on 11 Mar 2015 - 18:47, said:
Faz, on 11 Mar 2015 - 10:01, said:

Because that's the service I paid for. Nothing to do with culture, just failure to check the angle of the saw before cutting and then expecting me to pay for their mistakes. Poor workmanship and lethargic attitudes are one reason Thailand is falling behind the rest.

• Like 1

Rancid, on 11 Mar 2015 - 18:47, said:

Because that's the service I paid for. Nothing to do with culture, just failure to check the angle of the saw before cutting and then expecting me to pay for their mistakes. Poor workmanship and lethargic attitudes are one reason Thailand is falling behind the rest.

Pride in a job well done also doesn't seem to exist. A big part of the problem I see is that the workers on houses and condos (now mostly Cambodian or Burmese in my area) have no idea what they are building. In their foreseeable lifetimes they will never live in anything remotely like what they are being asked to build. They don't see what a problem out of alignment walls can be when you try and put in the furniture. They don't see what a problem it is when the floor tiling is laid on your condo balcony so that when it rains the water flows into the condo not the drain. I kinda feel sorry for them, they are just trying to make a buck, and don't blame them so much as the supervisor, foremen etc who are in charge of them and should work along side and show them the proper way. This is why I chose to employ men only (went through a few before I ended up with 3 great ones. Not so much great in skills but great in that they would listen to what I wanted and the way I wanted it done) and supervise myself. Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

My husband and I had a house built in Chiang Mai. Shopped around first for a builder and settled on a faring guy who seemed competent; basically followed our design ideas, is married to a Thai whose father is in the teak business so was able to supply enough for the floors and exterior (initially a plus for us), etc. Gave us a year 'warranty' on any issues with the house. The first year gets underway and it's one issue after another, some minor, some major. Basically replied to our e-mails at first with yes, yes, I'll fix it but he never showed up and stopped responding to e-mails and stopped taking our calls. Year two: roof started leaking during the rainy season (surprise, surprise) so we called in a Thai guy we trust, who had colleagues come over to take a look. Upshot is that the original builder used an insufficient number of tiles, wrong size, and now we're basically stuck with practically re-roofing the whole house. My husband wants to sue him, but I hear that this could cost another bundle and take forever.

Any advice from anyone? AND, anyone know a reliable roofer in CM? Any help would be much appreciated.

OP, thank you very much for the information.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone behind these numbers speak English?whistling.gif

I don't know about any of the other ones but 1111 had some pretty decent English speakers in my experience.

My husband and I had a house built in Chiang Mai. Shopped around first for a builder and settled on a faring guy who seemed competent; basically followed our design ideas, is married to a Thai whose father is in the teak business so was able to supply enough for the floors and exterior (initially a plus for us), etc. Gave us a year 'warranty' on any issues with the house. The first year gets underway and it's one issue after another, some minor, some major. Basically replied to our e-mails at first with yes, yes, I'll fix it but he never showed up and stopped responding to e-mails and stopped taking our calls. Year two: roof started leaking during the rainy season (surprise, surprise) so we called in a Thai guy we trust, who had colleagues come over to take a look. Upshot is that the original builder used an insufficient number of tiles, wrong size, and now we're basically stuck with practically re-roofing the whole house. My husband wants to sue him, but I hear that this could cost another bundle and take forever.

Any advice from anyone? AND, anyone know a reliable roofer in CM? Any help would be much appreciated.

If you bothered to read the OP, consumer protection board deals with real estate issues, which includes warranties and poor workmanship

Can we also call the consumer protection board for dangerous electricity in the moobaan?

I have put complaints allready but they don't give a dime, it's just waiting for somebody to get killed by it.

And can we do it anonymous? I don't want to be the complaining farang since i have asked them allready to fix it but it's a big naked wire-mess again...in the lawn where loads of people walk daily.

Can we also call the consumer protection board for dangerous electricity in the moobaan?

I have put complaints allready but they don't give a dime, it's just waiting for somebody to get killed by it.

And can we do it anonymous? I don't want to be the complaining farang since i have asked them allready to fix it but it's a big naked wire-mess again...in the lawn where loads of people walk daily.

I would of thought the local residents would be happy with you for removing this hazard. We are talking pre-meter i.e the electric company side? I've found them more than helpful when I've contacted them.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would of thought the local residents would be happy with you for removing this hazard. We are talking pre-meter i.e the electric company side? I've found them more than helpful when I've contacted them.

I guess it is after the meter from the property developer of the moobaan, but there are naked wires all over the place in the lawns and next to the walking paths. If my dog pee's on them he's gone but there are also many children playing there. And in the rain it all gets soaked.

After i complainted last time they put plastic boxes over the wires, they are all broken now. If you step on them they will crack and at night nobody sees them. Also the hatches from all streetlanterns are open without the hatch and there are wires going in/out of those openings who are just connected with tape. Any kid can touch them. If something happens i hope/guess the property developer is responsible, there is no pu yai baan yet. But i just want it to be safe.

I would contact 1111 for that, they would know who is responsible.

Do not think consumer protection board would deal with that

Naturally they will ask you for your name and contact number to follow up.

Can always provide fake name if you want or get someone else to call for you

Edited by konying

konying, on 11 Mar 2015 - 10:40, said:

You are under the assumption manager or staff care. They do not , it's not their money or their profits.

In your case there was no need to complain, because they fixed the problem.

In many cases they do not , often refuse to honour warranties or keep telling customer next week for months on.

Eh! How did they fix the problem?

Why should I pay again for something that I already paid for but they ruined, even if they did offer to cut it for free second time.

I walked away 135 baht light. I left the pieces of useless cut board for them to dispose of.

They offered to cut it free for you again, this is how

They offered Faz a 25 Baht discount on a 270 Baht charge, which was supposed to be only 135 Baht in total, so how they solved the problem?

• Like 1

You are right, but try to know how efficient and useful they are and they you will know that people posts are not myths...

As already posted 3 times , very effective and those who were not successful either posting rubbish or were in the wrong to start with.

To put it in perspective for you, I managed to get a refund on a 1 year old bike which kept breaking .

I have managed to shut down a bar next to my business which kept people up till 5am

I have managed to shut down weekly street party by one neighbour who not only blasted music from 6 am but blocked entire soi .

I have managed to stop telco from disconnecting my phone because of them sending out bills late.

Have managed to get an upgraded phone from telco because they kept delaying replacing broken one.

Have managed to get free LED TV from LG, because their technician broke mine claiming it was broken, and list goes on.

So yes, all agencies are effective, in some cases it's best to insist on bkk handling it because locally , some people open to "donations"

Must be you I always see walking around while watching over his shoulder.

You are right, but try to know how efficient and useful they are and they you will know that people posts are not myths...

As already posted 3 times , very effective and those who were not successful either posting rubbish or were in the wrong to start with.

To put it in perspective for you, I managed to get a refund on a 1 year old bike which kept breaking .

I have managed to shut down a bar next to my business which kept people up till 5am

I have managed to shut down weekly street party by one neighbour who not only blasted music from 6 am but blocked entire soi .

I have managed to stop telco from disconnecting my phone because of them sending out bills late.

Have managed to get an upgraded phone from telco because they kept delaying replacing broken one.

Have managed to get free LED TV from LG, because their technician broke mine claiming it was broken, and list goes on.

So yes, all agencies are effective, in some cases it's best to insist on bkk handling it because locally , some people open to "donations"

And here we go, the myth writer!!! Must be tough living in fear of your own shadowrolleyes.gif

They offered Faz a 25 Baht discount on a 270 Baht charge, which was supposed to be only 135 Baht in total, so how they solved the problem?

They cut it free, but he had to buy a new board.

Yes not ideal solution, hardly worth the time to take it any further or throw a hissy fit.

Please save your usual trolling for another thread.

One would really go to waste courts time over 100 baht=$3?bah.gif

And here we go, the myth writer!!! Must be tough living in fear of your own shadowrolleyes.gif

you're probably right, all those emotional killings that are frontpage news every day are just myths.

Yes not ideal solution, hardly worth the time to take it any further or throw a hissy fit.

He didn't waste time, he voted with his feet.

How's life these days, lemoncake?

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 1

you're probably right, all those emotional killings that are frontpage news every day are just myths.

Tinfoil hat?

Because you know what those killing were and motives behind it were? after all you read Thai Visa,whistling.gif

He didn't waste time, he voted with his feet.

How's life these days, lemoncake?

As i said previously, go troll somewhere else.