1000 baht a day

Badman22

You will be eating on the streets or food courts most of the time if you expect to survive on 1000 baht per day and have a couple of beers. 1000 baht per day is not much of a holiday unless you plan on spending most of your time laying on the beach or pool.

I tend to spend about 1000 baht per day. I'm not working to a particular budget, but there are only so many meals and beers you can get through in a day. I'm not including rent/internet/electricity etc in that though, they come out first.

I haven't bothered with the BG scene in a long while, which would make a huge difference. When I had a GF my costs were roughly double. There are other costs that occur from time to time that would bump that up quite a bit though, like an impromptu holiday with friends somewhere away from my normal base, which again might double the daily spend, or a little more depending where we go.

• Like 1

Of course you could but why would you want to. I live on about 40,000 a month, but I have no mortgage, my children own my house. I own two used cars and two motorcycles, all paid for. My monthly expenses for the home including utilities and food do not exceed 5,000. My children own the 6 rai of land we live on and we have 5 and half rai of rice paddy. My two children and I, my wife passed away many years ago, live on 35,000 a month but we do so frugally not cheaply. We plan everything and we have a big nest egg for emergencies and lots of insurance. US$2,000 a month would be a better earmark amount for a new expat coming to Thailand, finding your legs cost many and mistakes cost more money.

I always thought that holidays are for enjoying and not for exercising a minimalist lifestyle

Fatfather

Perhaps so. I try to stay focused on OPs question, which seems to be, can one make it on 1000 Baht per day?

To his question...If accommodation is already paid for, in my opinion, one can get along very nicely for 1000 Baht a day.

Alcohol is a big drain on the budget if purchased in a bar/restaurant. Night-time "entertainment" is another big drain.

There are plenty of people that I run across that don't drink or "entertain", and that's their business, not mine. There are plenty of free things to do that don't include either of them.

As they say here "Up to you".

One Day at a Time

Edited by Benmart

hi children, I have 2,500 baht a day however if possible I want to live on less, I will be staying and training at sinbi muay/sumalee mt . no im not a 50 year old pervert ! sorry to ruing ur giggle xx

So you are staying in Phuket - good luck with 1,000B per day. At another location you could do it easy but not Phuket, fine that you have 2,500B - seems like the amount is going up by the hour ...

If your accommodation is all paid and the 1,000 is just to spend, then yep you can do it. Although it won't be a whale of a time. 1,000 baht a day isn't exactly "two week millionaire" territory.

Here's your day:

Breakfast 100

Lunch 50

Dinner 150

Massage 200

Beers x 5 (at a beer bar) 250

Baht Bus x 3 30

Tips 80

Coffee x 3 140

Bar Fines - Nil

JD Coke - Nil

Lady drinks - Nil

GoGo bar thrills and spills - Nil

Have a happy holiday. whistling.gif

I'm sure the OP can do without a massage every day and do every second day, less 100Bt, no tips, less 80Bt, keep the beer consumption to every second day, (anyone who needs to drink every day has a problem) less 125Bt, drink tea instead of coffee, less app 70Bt.

Depending on what visa you are on, that will cost also. The savings I've suggested should help there.

Have a happy holiday.

lol ..... geeeezzee , 1000 baht , I spend half that at breakfast ..

I fly into Bangkok a couple of times a month and usually stay at the VIP suite in either the Marriot or the Sheraton, depending on which is available.

I budget around 4,000 baht a day spending money, which seems to be adequate as I usually only have a few hundred baht left at the end of each day.

I suppose you could survive on 1,000, but not me ....

I like my lobster every now and then ..... coffee1.gif

I like my lobster every now and then ..... I think there are some things you haven't mentioned. Hee Hee.

• Like 1

2,500 a day is plenty, but it's better to plan a week at a time and average it out over a month. Write down all your known monthly costs that could arise, e.g. utilities, scooter hire, gasoline, laundry, etc, and then budget training fees, equipment, clothes - you get the idea.

Once that is known, you'll have money aside for food, drink, and entertainment including trips to one or more islands. if you don't exceed that, you'll be doing okay. But, as it has been said above, Phuket is expensive if you're eating out and taking tuk-tuks around. And beware the scams, tread carefully. Enjoy your time.

no one thus far has asked where he wants to stay. in my opinion the budget given is an utter fantasy if he plans to hit the beach.

Breakfast 100

Lunch 50

Dinner 150

Massage 200

Baht Bus x 3 30

Tips 80

Coffee x 3 140

If your accommodation is all paid and the 1,000 is just to spend, then yep you can do it. Although it won't be a whale of a time. 1,000 baht a day isn't exactly "two week millionaire" territory.

Here's your day:

Breakfast 100

Lunch 50

Dinner 150

Massage 200

Baht Bus x 3 30

Tips 80

Coffee x 3 140

Bar Fines - Nil

JD Coke - Nil

Lady drinks - Nil

You know the last four items aren't an essential part of everyone's holiday, right?

Sure, 1000 a day is doable. As long as you're happy to eat local food, avoid fancy overpriced bars, and aren't here for the women, you could have a pretty good time.

I agree with this.....best bet is to lay off the beers every other day at this kind of budget....buy big bottles of water and bring a few books.

You will have a relaxed time.

Having said that I would look to budget twice as much....then you have no concerns at all.

I live here for five months a year and spend about 1000 per day, Use busses, swim twice a week, play golf three times a week, drive when I need to, buy petrol occasionally, chip in for meals occasionally, sometimes spend more than 1000B for a meal but it all averages out at around 1000B per day.

I would think that in a society of fit boxers at camp there will be days when you spend next to nothing. Like my swimming days; walk to the bus, take a bus 8B, walk through the Uni campus pay 50B for a swim, shower change and that's the morning finished eat at the uni food halls less than 100B or take a bus 8B and eat Hashibang Ramen and other dishes 200B .home rest. You'll probably do something like jogging as well which costs nothing. Leaving over 700B minimum. if you work hard training you won't be going out daily, say twice a week, for which you have something like 3500B to spend.

You'll be fine with a reserve of over twice your budget I should think.

Here's your day:

Breakfast 100

Lunch 50

Dinner 150

Massage 200

Baht Bus x 3 30

Tips 80

Coffee x 3 140

Bar Fines - Nil

JD Coke - Nil

Lady drinks - Nil

This budget has it pretty right and can be done assuming the final four items aren't on your shopping list. Of course, the B200 massage does not include a "happy ending". Enjoy the street food and don't be put off by appearances. It's a fascinating place and can easily be done on the cheap if that's necessary.

breakfast -noodle soup - 30 thb

lunch - ricedish - 40 thb- water free ( with ice ! )

dinner- noodle dish- 50 thb- beer 70,-

all tegether 190,-- thb

the rest do it by your own in the hotel - use tissue from the hotel,

if buest house - use the toilett papaer ( common in thai home )

• Like 1

I did get insurance for both of those :), I have 2,500 baht a day roughly with everything payed for , however I want to try and not spend that all in a day ...that's all im getting at no I am not a sex tourist

Badman - good for you- insurance is very important here, especially if you are planning to hire a scooter.

Make sure you have access to funds if necessary, just in case- don't arrive here with a bit of spending money and nothing else- this is not Europe there is no backup and the embassy will simply abandon you.

Glad to here you are not a sexpat , so if you are sensible and stay away from expensive western restaurants etc you should be fine.

Does not cost much to spend a day on the beach etc ( avoid those pesky wooden frogs)

Clubs do not charge entry, but be careful of ordering too many drinks.

Of course if you are a handsome young chap, find a sugar daddy ( or mummy)

Quite some Thai people I know went abroad to work (p.e. as driver, maintenance worker) to earn that kind of money.
It is way more then the money they live on here.
So, in short, yes it is quite sufficient for an average life.

In the tourist areas it will be more expensive but for CM: Breakfast 30 B. cappuccino 30 B hot/ 35 iced, lunch 50 B, evening meal from 35 to say 200 B for a fish dish, few big bottles of water @ 35 B.
(yes, I know there are more expensive places in CM as well, thank you.)
The remainder available for expenses as suggested by earlier posts.

lol ..... geeeezzee , 1000 baht , I spend half that at breakfast ..

I fly into Bangkok a couple of times a month and usually stay at the VIP suite in either the Marriot or the Sheraton, depending on which is available.

I budget around 4,000 baht a day spending money, which seems to be adequate as I usually only have a few hundred baht left at the end of each day.

I suppose you could survive on 1,000, but not me ....

I like my lobster every now and then ..... coffee1.gif

Next braggart stand up.

• Like 2

My old man, good guy. Like to come here for his holidays. Work hard so hes here about 6 weeks per year. Likes to stay with his son which is basically free for him so that doesnt count.

The rest of his time he likes to relax on a quit island like koh payam or koh wai, he hardly needs to spend more than 500 a day. Not because he cannot but, there is no need. He eats enough, loves thai food, explores the islands walking and loves to drink water.

For some people its no need but just holiday. I couldnt do that but he loves it

Here's your day:

Breakfast 100

Lunch 50

Dinner 150

Massage 200

Baht Bus x 3 30

Tips 80

Coffee x 3 140

Bar Fines - Nil

JD Coke - Nil

Lady drinks - Nil

All your NIL status can be changed UYOH (Use Your Own Hand)

• Like 1