August 28, 200620 yr I posted about this a month ago but didn't feel the subject was explored thoroughly. I've been living in SEA for six years and you all know the transportation problem -- cars are too expensive here, public transportation inadequate and motorbikes too dangerous for the comfort levels of some of us. So why not a motortrike? Wouldn't these be a lot safer and more stable for road driving than a two wheel motorbike? Some have pointed out the problems: harder to turn than a motorbike, you'll feel more road bumps, you won't be able to weave in and out of traffic. Need more space for parking. Etc. I guess there's also slightly fewer miles to a liter of petrol. But isn't the tradeoff worth it? People tell me that it's pretty much a 100 percent probability that a motorbike rider will eventually fall off the bike. That probability would surely be much less with a trike. I saw this trike, a Honda Gyro, on the street recently, and got all excited until I found out that they stopped making them 20 or so years ago. So that's another problem. Nobody makes them. You have to buy a motorbike and have it customized. But that's not so hard to do. And it's probably pretty cheap to do it in SEA. Oh, I know there's another problem. People will stare at you if you ride a trike. Or think you are a handicapped person. But again, these are minor problems compared to the need to feel safe and secure on your transportation. Also, the trikes I've seen that are built from motorbikes have another problem: the rear wheels take up the space where your passenger needs to put her feet. But maybe that wouldn't be a problem if you made the trike from a scooter with its lower wheels. So again, I ask, why not a trike?
August 28, 200620 yr 1) They look stupid 2) They don't have the same power 3) They are NOT safer than a motorcycle 4) There are inexpensive cars here 5) If you have it made with a wheel-base wide enough to be safer then you are using more road space thus making it less safe. 6) Why not just buy a TukTuk?
August 28, 200620 yr I posted about this a month ago but didn't feel the subject was explored thoroughly. I've been living in SEA for six years and you all know the transportation problem -- cars are too expensive here, public transportation inadequate and motorbikes too dangerous for the comfort levels of some of us.So why not a motortrike? Wouldn't these be a lot safer and more stable for road driving than a two wheel motorbike? Some have pointed out the problems: harder to turn than a motorbike, you'll feel more road bumps, you won't be able to weave in and out of traffic. Need more space for parking. Etc. I guess there's also slightly fewer miles to a liter of petrol. But isn't the tradeoff worth it? People tell me that it's pretty much a 100 percent probability that a motorbike rider will eventually fall off the bike. That probability would surely be much less with a trike. I saw this trike, a Honda Gyro, on the street recently, and got all excited until I found out that they stopped making them 20 or so years ago. So that's another problem. Nobody makes them. You have to buy a motorbike and have it customized. But that's not so hard to do. And it's probably pretty cheap to do it in SEA. Oh, I know there's another problem. People will stare at you if you ride a trike. Or think you are a handicapped person. But again, these are minor problems compared to the need to feel safe and secure on your transportation. Also, the trikes I've seen that are built from motorbikes have another problem: the rear wheels take up the space where your passenger needs to put her feet. But maybe that wouldn't be a problem if you made the trike from a scooter with its lower wheels. So again, I ask, why not a trike? Well, the Honda Gyro has been "updated" to a more useful Modell. Honestly it makes more sense.... rcm
August 28, 200620 yr My neighbor used a tryke, a Honda sold still in Thailand, to get around the neighborhood. At least, I thought I saw a few at the Honda dealer in Hua Hin. Looked pretty much like the one in your original photo here. Underpowered. Silly, absurd. But practical, under 35 kph. No motor vehicle that underpowered could be safe. In my motocyclist-arrogant opinion.
August 28, 200620 yr and watch out for taking any corners at speed! Those puppies don't lean at all ... the closer the wheels are together the more likely roadrash is!
August 28, 200620 yr Also, the trikes I've seen that are built from motorbikes have another problem: the rear wheels take up the space where your passenger needs to put her feet. But maybe that wouldn't be a problem if you made the trike from a scooter with its lower wheels.So again, I ask, why not a trike? All things considered, I like this guys train of thought...
August 28, 200620 yr If you want a trike, why not? They are just as unsafe as a motorbike when somebody or something hits you. However, they do remove the biggest risk factor in driving a motorbike: Going too fast. Since this thing doesn't exceed 35kph it would in effect be safer than a motorbike that goes 100kph. Sure you could drive a motorbike slow, but no one does. That said, pick-ups can be had for pretty cheap, comparatively, in Thailand.
August 29, 200620 yr Even with all the advantages a motorbike has to offer, you're still better off with a car or truck. Motorbikes offer NO protection on the roads and more than 80% of all road fatalities involve motorcyclists. Cars and trucks are pricey here, but labor is cheap so it doesn't cost much to keep them running. You could probably pick up a decent vehicle for 200,000 baht or less. We have an old car that burns a lot of gas, but it's safer and more convenient than a bike.
August 29, 200620 yr Even with all the advantages a motorbike has to offer, you're still better off with a car or truck. Motorbikes offer NO protection on the roads and more than 80% of all road fatalities involve motorcyclists. Cars and trucks are pricey here, but labor is cheap so it doesn't cost much to keep them running. You could probably pick up a decent vehicle for 200,000 baht or less. We have an old car that burns a lot of gas, but it's safer and more convenient than a bike. I was looking at a Thai second hand website and have seen volkswagon bugs (older) going for as little as 100k (and likely to sell for 80k). Oh well, I'll stick with my motorcycle most of the time and then use the car for shopping trips!
August 29, 200620 yr Or get one of those Thai side-cars. They'll give you more stability, you can have a couple of people ride along ( or if your Thai, 4 adults, 2 babies and a dog), they're great for grocery shopping and if you want to go to the beach or camping you can throw all your gear in the side-car.
August 29, 200620 yr Why not get a custom sidecar fitted to your bike, with a small air-con unit and foam seats etc, a cool box installed, and stereo/DVD? Powered with a spare 12V battery, easily charged when the bike's in motion. Totally weather-proof and unique in Thailand - your own paint scheme and funny coloured lights and air-horn. Cheaper than a car, and much more fun! I keep suggesting to this to the wife, but strangely...
August 29, 200620 yr Not all trikes are slow. You could try a Carver Here's a link to a similar topic some months ago. trikes and quads
August 29, 200620 yr Hello Meow. Are you back in LOS or are you still in Vietnam? As you may have noticed from your previous thread, this is a subject that a lot of us have our own ideas, opinions and experiences on, and I really don't think you are going to get much of a concensus here on what is the best means of personal transportation. The bottom line is that eventually you are going to have to make your own decision on what you think is the best way for you to get around.
August 29, 200620 yr Author Hello Meow. Are you back in LOS or are you still in Vietnam? As you may have noticed from your previous thread, this is a subject that a lot of us have our own ideas, opinions and experiences on, and I really don't think you are going to get much of a concensus here on what is the best means of personal transportation. The bottom line is that eventually you are going to have to make your own decision on what you think is the best way for you to get around. I'm still in Vietnam, and planning to stay. People tell me that cars are absurdly expensive here due to very high import duties, but I haven't checked the situation out personally. I have no idea if used cars are also very expensive. Anyway, I hate cars. And I hate having to pay whatever the latest extortionist price is for petrol. At least with a motorbike, you get much better mileage. I guess I'm coming at this from a different perspective than most of you. Safety is number one with me. I don't care if the transportation doesn't look cool. I don't care if I can't speed and weave in and out of traffic (both extremely dangerous practices, by the way). That's why I drove a Volvo box for years back when I was still in the western world. I don't know where you get your info that trikes are limited to 35 km/hour. Surely they can go faster than that, depending on the size of the engine. I realize that a trike will still fall over if someone hits you hard, but the greater stability from just accidental spills has got to be substantial. So what is the most common type of motorbike accident? Getting hit? Or just falling off due to reckless driving, slippery roads, or whatever? Peace Blondie, I think it would be very instructive to hear details about your motorbike accident. Can you share this info? I wouldn't mind driving a tuk tuk but I think importing it to Vietnam would be prohibitive. As for quads, I don't know anything about them yet. Though I imagine that the more wheels you add, the more you subtract from gas mileage. I'm disappointed that there are no ringing endorsements of my plan. ( This seems like a good solution for me. I don't wanna wear a helmet. I don't wanna sweat my ass off wearing protective clothing in a tropical climate...so this seems like it makes it harder for me to fall off. A lot harder. I think. Anyway, that's what some trike enthusiast websites say.
August 29, 200620 yr Well ... there's a reason that you can still buy dirtbikes and ATV's in the USA ... but NOT ATC's They are less stable in cornering etc! You'll also run into the issues of having a wider footprint than a bike ... dangerous! But as I know NOTHING about vehicles ... their availability etc etc etc in Vietnam!
August 29, 200620 yr Author Also, I believe the Honda Gyro was a "tilting three wheel" bike. Meaning somehow it tilts into a turn, which I guess is a lot better. ######, why aren't they making them now? Is it worth getting a used one? Can a bike over 20 years old still be as good as new? (I'm not a motor buff, as I'm sure you can tell)
August 29, 200620 yr Author Anyone know what kind of trike this is? Found it on that other thread. Looks pretty stable to me!
August 29, 200620 yr Hello Meow. Are you back in LOS or are you still in Vietnam? As you may have noticed from your previous thread, this is a subject that a lot of us have our own ideas, opinions and experiences on, and I really don't think you are going to get much of a concensus here on what is the best means of personal transportation. The bottom line is that eventually you are going to have to make your own decision on what you think is the best way for you to get around. I'm still in Vietnam, and planning to stay. People tell me that cars are absurdly expensive here due to very high import duties, but I haven't checked the situation out personally. I have no idea if used cars are also very expensive. Anyway, I hate cars. And I hate having to pay whatever the latest extortionist price is for petrol. At least with a motorbike, you get much better mileage. I guess I'm coming at this from a different perspective than most of you. Safety is number one with me. I don't care if the transportation doesn't look cool. I don't care if I can't speed and weave in and out of traffic (both extremely dangerous practices, by the way). That's why I drove a Volvo box for years back when I was still in the western world. I don't know where you get your info that trikes are limited to 35 km/hour. Surely they can go faster than that, depending on the size of the engine. I realize that a trike will still fall over if someone hits you hard, but the greater stability from just accidental spills has got to be substantial. So what is the most common type of motorbike accident? Getting hit? Or just falling off due to reckless driving, slippery roads, or whatever? Peace Blondie, I think it would be very instructive to hear details about your motorbike accident. Can you share this info? I wouldn't mind driving a tuk tuk but I think importing it to Vietnam would be prohibitive. As for quads, I don't know anything about them yet. Though I imagine that the more wheels you add, the more you subtract from gas mileage. I'm disappointed that there are no ringing endorsements of my plan. ( This seems like a good solution for me. I don't wanna wear a helmet. I don't wanna sweat my ass off wearing protective clothing in a tropical climate...so this seems like it makes it harder for me to fall off. A lot harder. I think. Anyway, that's what some trike enthusiast websites say. Actually Peace Blondie & jdinasia are right ... underpowered and 3 wheel make it actually worse in maneuvering and less saafe than a "regular" Bike ... maybe you should reconsider my Picture? I have never seen a motorbike accident because somebody just fell sidewards out of nowhere....unless completely drunk ... Furthermore , without helmet i think it is insane to drive... If trikes was safer and better why did they stop making them?? think about that, rcm
August 29, 200620 yr Anyone know what kind of trike this is? Found it on that other thread. Looks pretty stable to me! Can you "see" stable?
August 29, 200620 yr Author If trikes was safer and better why did they stop making them?? think about that,rcm Maybe because people didn't buy them because they didn't want to look uncool.
August 29, 200620 yr If trikes was safer and better why did they stop making them?? think about that, rcm Maybe because people didn't buy them because they didn't want to look uncool. Don't think so ...plenty "uncool" bikes here , guess it must be something else then?
August 29, 200620 yr Author Anyone know what kind of trike this is? Found it on that other thread. Looks pretty stable to me! Can you "see" stable? No, but common sense says that three wheels is more stable than two.
August 29, 200620 yr Author Quick question for the OP ------ do you ride motorcycles? No, I have never driven a motorbike, and only been a passenger on one a few times.
August 29, 200620 yr Anyone know what kind of trike this is? Found it on that other thread. Looks pretty stable to me! Can you "see" stable? No, but common sense says that three wheels is more stable than two. Now we all looking forward to answer this question...did you ever ride a Motorbike or not???i want to know it too now...cause your "common sense" tells me you have a problem to keep the balance on a 2 wheel bike. am i right? Edited August 29, 200620 yr by rcm
August 29, 200620 yr sorry but in this case common sense would be wrong unless you are going in a straight line ... Safety of 3-wheelers .... from wikpedia When the single wheel is in the front (the "delta" form, as in a child's pedal tricycle), the vehicle is inherently unstable in a braking turn, as the combined tipping forces at the center of gravity from turning and braking can rapidly extend beyond the triangle formed by the contact patches of the wheels. This type, if not tipped, also has a greater tendency to spin out ("swap ends") when handled roughly. With two wheels in the front (the "tadpole" form) the vehicle is far more stable in braking turns, but remains more prone to overturning in normal turns compared to an equivalent four–wheeled vehicle. Due to the unusually high incidence of injuries related to their use, a ban was placed on the sale of three-wheeled ATVs in the United States in January of 1988. Edited August 29, 200620 yr by jdinasia
August 29, 200620 yr you just gotta deal with it .... athe trade-offs are basically unacceptable. 2 or 4 wheels are your only decent choices .....
August 29, 200620 yr Author Now we all looking forward to answer this question...did you ever ride a Motorbike or not???i want to know it too now...cause your "common sense" tells me you have a problem to keep the balance on a 2 wheel bike. am i right? No, you're wrong. I have no problem at all keeping my balance on a bicycle. I'm a good bicycle rider. But motorbikes scare me, and falling off one seems more serious than falling off a bicycle, I guess because you're going faster, and the weight of the bike might push you harder into the street. It's also all the maniacs out there driving motorbikes that scares me. If I drove one, I'd drive it like a Volvo, slow and safe. But it still seems to me that 3 wheels has to be safer.
August 29, 200620 yr Author Somebody mentioned sidecars, and that's also an interesting way to go. But I thought I read somewhere that sidecars make it REALLY hard to turn, much harder than a trike.
Create an account or sign in to comment