Bike and pedestrian lane linking Bangkok’s two parks

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: –The city administration plans to upgrade and build an extension of the elevated bike and walking lane linking Lumpini Park and Benjakiti Park.

Residents and visitors can enjoy cycling and walking on the 1.7- kilometer lane between the two parks by Songkran Festival in April, Deputy Bangkok Governor Jumpol Sumpaopol said.

At present, the elevated lane, built along Khlong PhaiSingto and linked Lumpini Park with Thailand Tobacco Monopoly, is not a popular route because of steepness and poor lighting.

Furthermore, the lane stops short about 40 meters from Benjakiti Park.

Jumpol has instructed relevant authorities to improve on the elevated lane aimed at facilitating pedestrians and cycling enthusiasts.

To enter and exit the lane at Lumpini Park’s Sarasin Intersection, the present elevation is too steep and bicycles have to be walked in and off the lane.

For a temporary solution, the city authorities will build a rest stop for bicycle riders. In the long term, the elevation will be modified so as to facilitate the bicycle riding.

The city will also install an improved lighting system to ensure safety at night.

The security cameras would be put on eight selective spots on the elevated lane.

Areas along the lane would be landscaped to ensure pleasant atmosphere.

From the short distance between Thailand Tobacco Monopoly and Benjakiti Park, the extension of elevated lane would be built to complete the link between the two parks.

The construction work would complete in time for Songkran celebrations.

• Like 2

One of my favourite rides except for the bridges along the route where you have to get off your bike. The slope is just too steep to ride. If they make the slope more gentle it would be great and more continuous. It might be dangerous at night as there is a bit of drinking going on there as evidenced by the broken bottles sometimes, but by day is a great ride at both ends as well as tyhe route itself.

Good news as its a great way to get to Suk Soi 10 from Silom.

I remember reading about 5 years ago that there was a plan to build another main road along the length of the khlong that runs below the elevated walk/cycle way. I assume the walkway would have been demolished. Hopefully this plan has now been dropped.

I had never known about this, ... as someone who walks several miles daily its nice to know of spots where one can walk without having to dodge motorbikes (hopefully) or squeeze between vendor stalls (I don't mind vendors just when they take up all the space)....

Well 45 degrees is too steep for me but I can ride the down side .

One of my favourite rides except for the bridges along the route where you have to get off your bike. The slope is just too steep to ride. If they make the slope more gentle it would be great and more continuous. It might be dangerous at night as there is a bit of drinking going on there as evidenced by the broken bottles sometimes, but by day is a great ride at both ends as well as tyhe route itself.

• Like 1

How do you get onto this path from Benjakitti? Do you go out of the gate next to the Queen Sirikit Centre or the one at the Sukhumvit end?

You go to the gate at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 10 and the entry to the bike path is right at the gate.

It's been there for years and I've walked it many times. The only drawback is that the klong can stink in places.

• Like 1

How do you get onto this path from Benjakitti? Do you go out of the gate next to the Queen Sirikit Centre or the one at the Sukhumvit end?

You go to the gate at the end of Sukhumvit Soi 10 and the entry to the bike path is right at the gate.

It's been there for years and I've walked it many times. The only drawback is that the klong can stink in places.

Last time I went only one exit gate from the Benjakitti park was available which was via Tobacco Monopoly to reach this - unless you went all the way around via Sukhumvit Soi 10? If you are inside Benjakitti park you exit at the south west gate side where Queen Sirikit Center enters to the Tobacco Monopoly land and follow the Tobacco Monopoly road northwards along the side of the park to where it reaches Sukhumvit Soi10 end and the bike lane to Lumpini (or actually a footbridge down onto Wireless Road next to the park).

• Like 1

Hi took this ride today .Still cant ride up those stairs ! Took some pics as well. 1 is the approach from lumpini saracin alley 2 is the carry area for me . 3 is the klong area 4 is the end of the ramp . to get to benjarit park head towards asoke down a lane with wooden houses and you will come out at ratchapree rd next to the park The last photo is the exit just before the footbridge. Enjoypost-218141-0-65991300-1426423415_thumb.post-218141-0-86670000-1426423444_thumb.post-218141-0-31825300-1426423576_thumb.post-218141-0-20922400-1426423645_thumb.post-218141-0-64343000-1426423646_thumb.

• Like 1

Yes good idea I ride there and its direct and little traffic .There are a couple of bridges which you have to walk but its a easy ride !

Use it daily to work and back - hope it does not get too popular from the proposed changes...thou I imagine they are long way off

I've walked it during daytime. Not sure if anyone should be walking this trail at night time as it's fairly remote setting going through some 'hood near the klong.

The track needs rehabilitation with less expensive materials. Much of the stainless steel railing and light posts have been plundered leaving unsafely protected zones. Slum kids are using it for shady activities in the evenings & stray dogs are depositing smelly obstacles up there.

Not a bad idea I just witnessed a bicycle invasion in one of our modern Western Cities a few Sundays back and one must admit the females on bikes make it a pleasure to see, a side issue is the health benefits if you can ride in fresh air, however you have a high smog and vehicle fume problem in BKK so carcinogenic inhalation wouldn't do the lungs much good and the name Tobacco Monopoly wouldn't fit in well with most biking fraternities , only in Thailand.coffee1.gif