Crackdown on Chinese photographers in Phuket

Thaivisa News

Phuket:- Police have arrested a Chinese man for having allegedly worked as a pre-wedding photographer in Phuket without work permit as part of an on-going crackdown on Chinese pre-wedding photographers.

The arrest of Chuan Ma, 26, was announced at a press conference at the Phuket Immigration Office by Pol Lt Thienchai Chomphu, an inspector of the office.

Thienchai said Ma was arrested Wednesday evening while he was taking pre-wedding photos for a Chinese couple on the Bang Thao beach in Tambon Choeng Thalay in Phuket’s Thalang district.

He failed to produce a work permit as a photographer during the time of the arrest. Police found pre-wedding photos in Ma’s Nikon camera. He was handed over to the Choeng Thalay police station for taking legal action before he will be deported.

Thienchai said the Phuket Immigration Office was informed that many Chinese tourists had been working as pre-wedding photographers without work permit at various tourist spots, including popular beaches and the Old Town of Phuket as well as temples.

Thienchai said immigration police have arrested Chinese photographers because they have taken away jobs supposed to be won by local pre-wedding photographers who have properly paid tax.

Thienchai said a Chinese pre-wedding photographer received about Bt5,000 to Bt10,000 from a customer without having to pay taxes.

Natthawut La-ongsuwan, a Thai freelance pre-wedding photographer, said although the Thai authorities have arrested many Chinese photographers, many still came in to work as pre-wedding photographers because Chinese tourists would like to use their services.

Natthawut said Chinese pre-wedding photographers did not know and understand local culture so they and their customers often enraged the local people during their photo sessions.

This whole thing about about taking jobs away from Thai's is such bullshit. They are such a self centered culture it's ridiculous. If I have a choice between a Thai or an English person doing a job for me then it should be my choice who I want to perform that particular task. These people need to get over themselves and start to allow of nationalities to compete in their respective field.

• Like 2

These pre wedding pics are big deal for the Chinese, the people this will really hurt are the local hotels and wedding organisers. But something tells me they're the ones making the complaints.

• Like 1

Pretty sure they would prefer a person who speaks their own language

If you want millions of chinese to visit your country you need to show flexibility or they will go elsewhere

and how can they prove he was working? is taking photos now illegal?

What will do TVF with this big line ?

Are we , there , all illegal photographers ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/84-photography-and-the-arts/

So, what we have here is a Chinese photographer taking Pre - wedding photo's, now is there a difference to after wedding photo's or even divorce photo's, maybe I can get my friend Who Flung Dung to be a photographer, seriously anyone working without a permit sorry, end of story ,just shows how stupid people can be and mind just try it on in their country.coffee1.gif

If you want millions of chinese to visit your country you need to show flexibility or they will go elsewhere

It's called a sting operation. The Thais are quite good at it when it suits them. In the USA it is called 'entrapment'

• Like 1

Does anyone actually believe that a Thai photographer is running to the tax office with money in hand to pay the taxes on his freelance job? Most of these Thai photographers are just someone who has a fairly decent camera and some photoshop experience. No professionalism.

• Like 2

I think it's very important that Junta cracks down on Chinese pre wedding photographers. Press conferences will show the world that this sort of thing simply won't be tolerated.

If they don't deal with it now the Chinese will be providing beach chairs prior to pre wedding photographs.

• Like 2

Basically mowing your own frontlawn is forbidden here without a workpermit - for the simple reason that it is something that a Thai person could have done, and you, farang, therefore are thrusting the rice from his mouth.

One or two years ago someone was DEPORTED because he was building a small boat, all by himself in his own garden.

As they say: Thailand is for the thais, they make the rules. Take it or leave it.

Basically mowing your own frontlawn is forbidden here without a workpermit - for the simple reason that it is something that a Thai person could have done, and you, farang, therefore are thrusting the rice from his mouth.

One or two years ago someone was DEPORTED because he was building a small boat, all by himself in his own garden.

As they say: Thailand is for the thais, they make the rules. Take it or leave it.

Ate you referring to the foreigners who were commercially building boats and got caught?

And no, you will not be apprehended for mowing your lawn or washing the dishes.

• Like 1

Sorry but working illegally is not "showing flexibility". I highly doubt that Thai professional photographers working in China without a work permit would have fared any better.

What's so hard about taking pictures anyway, language is hardly an issue. You get the subjects to show off certain poses, take their pictures and then move on. Isn't that hard to do even if you don't share a common language. Plenty of Thai photographers speak little English yet they can make stunning photographs of foreign couples on location in Thailand. If they can have their pictures taken, surely the Chinese can too.

Ate you referring to the foreigners who were commercially building boats and got caught?

And no, you will not be apprehended for mowing your lawn or washing the dishes.

Exactly. I'm kinda sick of reading all these ridiculous rumors and hearsey. I mean, if one really needed a work permit to mow one's OWN lawn, what would be next? A work permit to flush your own toilet?

I mow my own lawns BTW because if I didn't, I'd be out on the streets for not helping out around the house. Doing household chores are NOT the same thing as working.

Right, so all the local photographers are paying all their taxes coffee1.gif Given that even volunteers need work permits, this argument is nonsense. I wonder when I'll be arrested for moving my wife's lawn!

Be careful, you might even be arrested for turning on a tap, or flushing your own toilet or turning on the microwave.

But would it even be possible for this guy to get a work permit?

It's like having a demonstration in Malaysia -- you can be arrested for demonstrating without a permit. So then you go and inquire as to how to get such a permit, and are told "we don't do that stuff in this country."