O-A extension denied at Udon Thani immigration

I entered Thailand in 2011 on an O-A visa, just before a year was up I exited and re-entered receiving an additional year. I have been extending each year since using the 800K in the bank for three months. This year they scrutinized my passport carefully and determined that NongKhai immigration made an error and subsequently Udon Thani did as well. It was not clear what these errors might have been. At any rate I was told that my extension was denied and that I needed to go to Laos and get a non-O for 90 days which Udon Thani would extend for a year after 60 days have past.

I thought my O-A visa from the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles could be extended indefinitely; the official seemed to say it could only be extended once.

One official kept saying to the other "go ahead and give it to him" while the other refused.

Traveling to Laos was expensive and difficult as I am wheel-chair bound due to a stroke and now am wondering if I must make this trip every year going forward.

Yes maybe OP should state little bit of dates for his O-A and stamps..... feels like his O-A at some point were too far gone...

Plse tell us;

- date of the original O-A,

- date when you extended it and

- date when you got your first extension of stay!!!

Glegolo

You can do extensions of a permit to stay for infinity as long as you can meet the requirements for it.

Without knowing what the problem was they found all I can do is guess. The one that comes to mind is that perhaps your OA visa had already expired when they gave you the last one year entry. Go back and look at the enter before date on the OA visa and compare it to the date you did that last entry.

If you go out for the non-o visa and then extend that 90 day entry you would never need to get another visa. Be sure you take your bank book with you to show them in Vientiane and have a copy attached to your application.

I thought my O-A visa from the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles could be extended indefinitely;

Visas are never renewed or extended. You have been getting extensions of your permission to stay.

Hard to say what the problem is. Did you ever leave the country and return without a re-entry permit after the visa expired (the date printed on the visa sticker, not the immigrations stamp)? The expiration of the visa and the must leave by date on an extension or permission to stay are different things. It's not just being pedantic when differentiating a visa from an embassy compared to permission to stay given by immigrations. The distinction can have implications.

• 7 months later...

You can do extensions of a permit to stay for infinity as long as you can meet the requirements for it.

Without knowing what the problem was they found all I can do is guess. The one that comes to mind is that perhaps your OA visa had already expired when they gave you the last one year entry. Go back and look at the enter before date on the OA visa and compare it to the date you did that last entry.

If you go out for the non-o visa and then extend that 90 day entry you would never need to get another visa. Be sure you take your bank book with you to show them in Vientiane and have a copy attached to your application.

"You can do extensions of a permit to stay for infinity as long as you can meet the requirements for it."

I did go to Laos and got a 90 day non-o which after 60 days Udon Thani immigration extended my permit to stay for one year. At my 90 day report yesterday, I asked if I would be able to extend for an additional year when this year was complete. I was told they would extend it for 30 days and that then I would have to leave Thailand to obtain another non-o visa. He also requested I bring him a bottle of "Black" for New Years on my next 90 day report. As I noted I am not ambulatory and annual visa trips are difficult and expensive.

"If you go out for the non-o visa and then extend that 90 day entry you would never need to get another visa."

So what am I doing wrong? I came here to retire in 2008 on an O-A visa and returned on an O-A visa in 2011 after a few months trip back to the US. I was granted extensions of stay each year no problem. So it appears I will have to leave Thailand each year to get another visa. Because of my physical condition, that last trip to Laos cost about 50,000 Baht.

I seem to be "up the creek" and in need of a paddle! Any advice will be appreciated.

"You can do extensions of a permit to stay for infinity as long as you can meet the requirements for it."

I did go to Laos and got a 90 day non-o which after 60 days Udon Thani immigration extended my permit to stay for one year. At my 90 day report yesterday, I asked if I would be able to extend for an additional year when this year was complete. I was told they would extend it for 30 days and that then I would have to leave Thailand to obtain another non-o visa. He also requested I bring him a bottle of "Black" for New Years on my next 90 day report. As I noted I am not ambulatory and annual visa trips are difficult and expensive.

"If you go out for the non-o visa and then extend that 90 day entry you would never need to get another visa."

So what am I doing wrong? I came here to retire in 2008 on an O-A visa and returned on an O-A visa in 2011 after a few months trip back to the US. I was granted extensions of stay each year no problem. So it appears I will have to leave Thailand each year to get another visa. Because of my physical condition, that last trip to Laos cost about 50,000 Baht.

I seem to be "up the creek" and in need of a paddle! Any advice will be appreciated.

Suspect there is more than a little misunderstanding here!

There is no 30 day extension available fto someone already on a one year extension!

If you have an extension of stay, based on retirement , it CAN be renewed providing you can meet the financial requirements.

You must apply for a new extension using the same documentation as before

Look at the stamp they did in your passport to see what it says. I think it says your application is under consideration with a date to contact hem again in 30 days. Udon has been reported as doing those stamps.

When you go back they will stamp your one year extension.

I think there was a misunderstanding about going out for a new non-o after that date..

Look at the stamp they did in your passport to see what it says. I think it says your application is under consideration with a date to contact hem again in 30 days. Udon has been reported as doing those stamps.

When you go back they will stamp your one year extension.

I think there was a misunderstanding about going out for a new non-o after that date..

Thanks ubonjoe,

I got my Non O 10 March 2015 and UdonThani stamped 7 MAY 2015. I then applied for a one year extension and was stamped 7 JUNE 2016. Hoping that the conversation yesterday was a misunderstanding; thirty days before the 7 JUNE 2016 date I will apply for a one-year extension and hope for the best.