Is it possible to have too many visa exemption stamps?

I've been travelling around SE Asia for the last 2 years and have used Bangkok as my main transport hub. As a result I've got quite a few exemption stamps in my passport, I think 16 at the last count. I think once I stayed for a whole month, otherwise each stay ranged from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. Do the border guards pay any attention to how many stamps there are in my passport? Or could I even be refused entry the next time?

I was advised at Don Muang, (probably wrong) that one could only have 6 in one year. He said I'd need a.visa next time. Next time I'll be going for another exemption stamp, if they say no, Cambodia will get my money, not Thailand.

What you will be told on this forum is correct - there is no such rule BUT immigration officers in Thailand, especially at Don Muang, seen to make up their own rules.

So you need to have a strategy ready if you are challenged by one of these DIY legislators. Best to have a ticket out of Thailand, 10,000 baht (or 20,000 baht if the IM is having a bad hair day) and some way of proving that you do not intend to work in Thailand (overseas bank accounts, employment contracts etc. rarely accepted).

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What you will be told on this forum is correct - there is no such rule BUT immigration officers in Thailand, especially at Don Muang, seen to make up their own rules.

So you need to have a strategy ready if you are challenged by one of these DIY legislators. Best to have a ticket out of Thailand, 10,000 baht (or 20,000 baht if the IM is having a bad hair day) and some way of proving that you do not intend to work in Thailand (overseas bank accounts, employment contracts etc. rarely accepted).

Useful advise, I'll have a strategy ready for when I need it. Thanks

No limit to my knowledge. I am staying every weekend in Thailand arriving on Friday and Leaving on Sunday, having more than 50 visa exemption stamps in my passport. Two weeks ago an immigration officer stamped my passport with a big smile and said "you like Thailand very much".

Thanks - encouraging

Ubonjoe is correct afaik and his input is always right on target and appreciated. But some of these guys like to make up their own rules and won't back down for fear of losing face, so beware. I have an exit strategy and that's Cambodia.

I got told in January at CNX I had too many...

I now have an elite visa.

Apologies in advance for all the questions, but where is CNX? Also, how many stamps did you have in your passport, and were they consecutive entries? I'm just trying to work out if I should worry or not as I might be spending more time in Thailand...

That's the first time I've heard of an Elite Visa, just been looking up what it is. Seems like a good idea even if it is a bit pricy.

6.1 Being sui juris under Thai law at the age of or over twenty (20) years old;

6.2 Being allowed to stay in Thailand in accordance with the immigration laws or any related law of Thailand;

6.3 Holding a foreign passport;

6.4 Not having been adjudicated bankrupt;

6.5 Not having been declared as a person of unsound mind, incompetence, or quasi-incompetence; and

6.6 Not having been sentenced by a judgment to imprisonment in any countries except for an offence committed through negligence

'Being sui juris under Thai law' - does this mean you have to prove a sizeable net value to even be considered? Also, can you work on an Elite Visa? Again, apologies for all the questions.

(Edit : just checked - CNX = Chiang Mai)

Edited by Indianna

"Sui Juris

[Latin, Of his or her own right.]

Possessing full social and Civil Rights; not under any legal disability, or the power of another, or guardianship. Having the capacity to manage one's own affairs; not under legal disability to act for one's self."

No money needed.

You cannot work with a PE visa entry. You would need to get a work permit and a non-b visa. But the elite staff will assist you with getting them.

• Like 1

I was advised at Don Muang, (probably wrong) that one could only have 6 in one year. He said I'd need a.visa next time. Next time I'll be going for another exemption stamp, if they say no, Cambodia will get my money, not Thailand.

You were also told that there is no such rule on this forum. Just an immigration officer abusing his authority by saying that.

UJ,

Where does the 6 visit maximum per year requirement stem from - it seems strange so many people are commenting on here and they all have similar story ?

I posted recently of a visit to Angkor Wat and the problems I had coming back through Poi Pet.

I was told by a female immigration officer I required 20,000 baht and a copy of my onward ticket due to the fact I had exceeded the 6 allowable visits per year.

I was with my Thai wife and did not have a copy of my ticket but the officer could not have been more helpful.

She could have quite easily sent me back to Cambodia to visit an internet cafe to print out my ticket but she let me go and sit in her chair, using her computer and print out my ticket on the immigration departments printer.

That hardly seems to me to be "someone abusing their authority" ?

Cheers,

BB

"Sui Juris

[Latin, Of his or her own right.]

Possessing full social and Civil Rights; not under any legal disability, or the power of another, or guardianship. Having the capacity to manage one's own affairs; not under legal disability to act for one's self."

No money needed.

You cannot work with a PE visa entry. You would need to get a work permit and a non-b visa. But the elite staff will assist you with getting them.

Thanks

You were also told that there is no such rule on this forum. Just an immigration officer abusing his authority by saying that.

UJ,

Where does the 6 visit maximum per year requirement stem from - it seems strange so many people are commenting on here and they all have similar story ?

I posted recently of a visit to Angkor Wat and the problems I had coming back through Poi Pet.

I was told by a female immigration officer I required 20,000 baht and a copy of my onward ticket due to the fact I had exceeded the 6 allowable visits per year.

I was with my Thai wife and did not have a copy of my ticket but the officer could not have been more helpful.

She could have quite easily sent me back to Cambodia to visit an internet cafe to print out my ticket but she let me go and sit in her chair, using her computer and print out my ticket on the immigration departments printer.

That hardly seems to me to be "someone abusing their authority" ?

Cheers,

BB

The 6 entries is only an alert for the immigration officer to see if your entries fall into the in/out visa run profile according to immigration's guidelines. Entry cannot be denied for the 6 entries. It can only be denied under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common reasons for denial is for lack of financial proof and/or suspicion of working here.

One thing to remember is the officer at the desk does not have the authority to deny you entry. Only a high ranking officer can do that.

This is immigration's guidelines. ImmigratioNotice4-English_PDF (1).pdf

• Like 1

I got questioned at Swampy immigration last month for having too many visa exempt stamps. There were several years worth in my passport, maybe 30+ entry/exits. Immigration was real quiet and there was nobody in the queue behind me which may have made a difference. I'd guess the officer spent 5 minutes looking through my passport although it felt longer than that. He then asks me what i'm doing in Thailand, so I am thinking i'd better come clean and tell him the truth that i'm visiting my wife and daughter. He then asks where my VIsa is and I tell him i am only staying for 3 weeks and thought i didn't need one. He paused for a moment then stamped me in, maybe he was feeling jai dee or just didn't want the extra paperwork.

I've since got myself a Non Imm O so hopefully I won't have that problem again. Anyone else with a lot of stamps, be aware, they may question you as well.

There seems to be a discrepancy between the rules and the IO interpretation of the rules which doesn't really help you when you're standing in front of them. In theory, you could live here on exemptions as long as you left for at least a few days every 30 days. That way you'd probably have around 10 stamps a year but if you're not overstaying are you breaking any rules?

There seems to be a discrepancy between the rules and the IO interpretation of the rules which doesn't really help you when you're standing in front of them. In theory, you could live here on exemptions as long as you left for at least a few days every 30 days. That way you'd probably have around 10 stamps a year but if you're not overstaying are you breaking any rules?

Staying for the entire 30 days every time would raise suspicions on what you were doing if you were only out of the country for a few days.