WP possible with retirement visa?

I was told by my agent that it is possible to get a WP while holding a non-O retirement visa.

I doubted it and asked another person who confirmed it.

It seems obvious that it's not possible to work when retired but since this is Thailand and hope springs eternal, why not find out.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Most work permit offices will not accept an application for a work permit application with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon retirement.

Perhaps at some offices it could be done under the table by an agent.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply!

Much is possible using the 'under the table route', even though it sounds kind of tricky, getting a visa on grounds of not working and then applying for a WP!

But maybe I'm focussing too much on the title "retirement" - there may be different ways to interpret that, especially under certain circumstances.

Most people who find work that on are on retirement extensions of stay (it is not a visa) have to go out for a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry to apply for the work permit. Then go out again to get a non-b visa.

Even for doing volunteer work they will not accept the application.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I was told that a retirement visa is classified a non-O visa, and it is possible to get a WP with a non-O visa.

It doesn't seem to make a difference if you get the non-O through marriage or otherwise.

It may help if you were to state exactly what "visa" you have in the passport and where that "visa" was obtained. If this "visa" was obtained from a Thai immigration office it is likely to be an "extension of stay"( not a visa )

Whatever you have it will not be a "retirement visa" as such a thing does not exist.

• Like 1

Disappointing to read that even for volunteer work they wouldn't typically accept a WP application for anyone with a retirement extension. Many people who are retired would like to continue to do things to be active and contribute, and don't care about being paid for it, but may want to comply with the letter of the law that requires WP for even non-paid, volunteer work.

• Like 1

I was told by my agent that it is possible to get a WP while holding a non-O retirement visa.

I doubted it and asked another person who confirmed it.

It seems obvious that it's not possible to work when retired but since this is Thailand and hope springs eternal, why not find out.

There is no such thing as a Non-Imm O retirement visa no matter how many people told you otherwise and most people staying here long-term on the basis of retirement are here on an extension of stay, not a visa. The visa they used to enter the country will have expired long ago, which is why a re-entry permit is required if you plan to exit and re-enter the country.

Just because an agent gets a pretty stamp in your passport doesn't mean you have a free pass to do whatever you want.

Two Britons were among six foreign tourists arrested at a border checkpoint in Thailand for having fake immigration stamps in their passports.

This brings the total number of Britons charged with visa offences in Thailand in the past three weeks to 21. Most have been released on bail but have been told they cannot leave the country until their cases come to court. If convicted, they face maximum jail sentences of 10 years.

Relatives of the tourists say they are innocent victims of fraud who paid for visa extensions at outlets they believed were legitimate.

The Foreign Office warns that the only legal way of obtaining an extension of stay is from a Thai embassy or consulate or an immigration officer. It adds: "Visas issued by shops, travel agents or by other means are probably illegal."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/728786/British-travellers-fall-victim-to-Thai-visa-scam.html

“Recently Immigration has found a number of passports with fake rubber stamps, as people are departing from the Kingdom.

Please be aware that there are agents and people who have sold fake visa extension stamps to unsuspecting foreigners.

Please be careful when applying through a visa extension agent, that the agent shows you an official receipt of 1,900 from Immigration, for your extension.”

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/765498-thai-immigration-boss-warns-of-fake-extension-stamps/

The English word "retirement" is often used to mean that someone has quit from or reduced time spent on his life-long occupation. It is a convenient (non-Thai) term to use since it applies to the majority of people who apply for an extension of stay based on being over 50. There is nothing in the application or the requirements regarding whether or not you've cut all ties to your last employer.

Do some people here on retirement extensions work? Sure. Do some people working illegally or found to have forged stamps in their passport get arrested. Definitely.

YES IT IS POSSIBLE

when I lived in Yasothon and worked as a teacher in an Anuban school....I had a work permit and retirement visa. The work permit with the visa was only allowed for ONE YEAR after which it had to be converted. It was all done above board...legit....legal....however you want to word it.

YES IT IS POSSIBLE

when I lived in Yasothon and worked as a teacher in an Anuban school....I had a work permit and retirement visa. The work permit with the visa was only allowed for ONE YEAR after which it had to be converted.

Converted to what ?

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. With "retirement visa" I mean the visa you can apply for when you are older than 50 and can show 800,000+ baht in the bank.

I was told that the visa I will then get would be a non-O. When applying for a WP a copy of the visa is supplied which does not specify under what conditions it was issued. Then a WP can be issued because it's a non-O visa.

I have no idea what an extension is or how that works.

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. With "retirement visa" I mean the visa you can apply for when you are older than 50 and can show 800,000+ baht in the bank.

I was told that the visa I will then get would be a non-O. When applying for a WP a copy of the visa is supplied which does not specify under what conditions it was issued. Then a WP can be issued because it's a non-O visa.

The extension is what you (incorrectly) call a visa and is obtained at immigration showing Bt 800,000 in a Thai bank.

• Like 2

YES IT IS POSSIBLE

when I lived in Yasothon and worked as a teacher in an Anuban school....I had a work permit and retirement visa. The work permit with the visa was only allowed for ONE YEAR after which it had to be converted. It was all done above board...legit....legal....however you want to word it.

Could you define "retirement visa"?

There seems to be some confusion about what it is.

That would be a non-imm. 'O/A' visa (long stay). What happens is that people calls visa what really is an extension of stay.

The extension is what you (incorrectly) call a visa and is obtained at immigration showing Bt 800,000 in a Thai bank.

Interesting. For years I've heard the term "retirement visa" being used, never "extension".

So this extension then has nothing to do with a non-O visa and thus a WP can not be issued, if I understand you correctly?

Interesting. For years I've heard the term "retirement visa" being used, never "extension".

So this extension then has nothing to do with a non-O visa and thus a WP can not be issued, if I understand you correctly?

Check answer #2 and following by ubonjoe above.

• Like 1

That would be a non-imm. 'O/A' visa (long stay). What happens is that people calls visa what really is an extension of stay.

Now I'm all confused. Is it a non-O visa or some sort of extension?

What does it say in your PP?

It's visa and says category O/A. There are infinite threads in this forum that explain it.

Will someone make it absolutely clear - there is no such thing as a "Retirement Visa". You enter the country with a Non Immigrant Visa, Category "O" which is obtained from a Thai Embassy outside of Thailand. When produced with the necessary back up documents, i.e medical, police, and financial statements to Thai Immigration - in Thailand - at the 90-day point, you will (may) be given a One Year extension, over-stamped with "Retirement". This extension requires renewal annually. It also requires the holder to confirm address every 90 days. This can be done in person, by a.n.other, or by mail. Internet application for 90-day reporting is in process! As far as I am aware holders of "Retirement" extensions are not allowed to work.

• Like 2

When produced with the necessary back up documents, i.e medical, police, and financial statements to Thai Immigration - in Thailand - at the 90-day point, you will (may) be given a One Year extension, over-stamped with "Retirement".

No medical or police record are needed to get an extension of stay.

• Like 1

This is an actual retirement visa. Issued outside of Thailand, requiring police clearance and medical report. Unlike all current such visas, it was a single entry.

If that is what you have, and it's Use Before date has not passed, then you have a retirement visa. Otherwise you don't. You may have an O visa or you may have gotten an extension to an O or an O-A.

Note where it says "Employment Prohibited".

post-47756-0-11185700-1426339691_thumb.j

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is an actual retirement visa. Issued outside of Thailand, requiring police clearance and medical report. Unlike all current such visas, it was a single entry.

If that is what you have, and it's Use Before date has not passed, then you have a retirement visa. Otherwise you don't. You may have an O visa or you may have gotten an extension to an O or an O-A.

Note where it says "Employment Prohibited".

Thanks !

Can you point to the words "Retirement Visa" in that the picture ?

It is not a "retirement visa" !

it is , in fact, a Long Stay ,single entry, O-A (long stay visa)

• Like 1

"It is not a "retirement visa" ! it is , in fact, a Long Stay ,single entry, O-A (long stay visa)"

If you refuse to call it a retirement visa, that's okay with me, but if others use that term it causes no confusion, no harm is done.

The point being made was that it's the only thing that anyone could rightly call a retirement visa. An O-A is the only long-stay visa that has an age requirement. All others with that requirement are short-stay visas or are extensions of stay, and calling them retirement visas does cause confusion, does cause mistakes to be made.

Edited by mahjongguy
  • Like 1

I've used the term "retirement visa" lots of times, and tourists, employers, employees, foreigners and Thais alike knew what I was talking about.

I've heard he term "extension of stay" before and I even got one once, for 15 days, cost me 1,500 baht. (Or was it 7 days? I forgot, it was 10 years ago.)

At least I remember it being called an extension of stay.

I never heard of an extension with a duration of one year.

But - I now understand that there is no "retirement visa", thanks for straightening that out, and that being older than 50 and having 800,000+ THB in the bank allows you to get an extension of stay.

Sorry for appearing a bit dense. smile.png

It's a bit like the "90 day stamp", everybody knows what I mean, but you don't get a stamp in your PP, you fill out a paper.

Edited by Rolo Tomazi

There have been a few threads here were a person holding a retirement extension of stay have been granted a work permit. Typically these have been people with unique skills and they have taught at a University. Basiclly someone with a bit of influence has been able to bend the system but if you are just Joe blow your chances are nil to nil and none.

It's visa and says category O/A. There are infinite threads in this forum that explain it.

When I tried to find info on the retirement visa (sorry for using that term!) I went from the homepage to

- Visa info

-Thai visas, Residency and WP

- useful Immigration Information and Visa Descriptions

- first post by george: Laws, Regulations, ...., related to visas, Immigration Matters and Work Permits,

and there it said: no data.

So I went to the forum to see if I could find any threads on the topic, didn't find any after clicking and reading quite a few, and decided to start a new thread.

This site contains A LOT of info, the problem is finding what applies to my situation.

I put "retirement visa" into the searcher but I couldn't find any helpful info.

Thanks for pointing out that there are infinite threads somewhere on this site, a link to one of those would have been even more helpful.

:)

I've used the term "retirement visa" lots of times, and tourists, employers, employees, foreigners and Thais alike knew what I was talking about.

I've heard he term "extension of stay" before and I even got one once, for 15 days, cost me 1,500 baht. (Or was it 7 days? I forgot, it was 10 years ago.)

At least I remember it being called an extension of stay.

I never heard of an extension with a duration of one year.

But - I now understand that there is no "retirement visa", thanks for straightening that out, and that being older than 50 and having 800,000+ THB in the bank allows you to get an extension of stay.

Sorry for appearing a bit dense. smile.png

It's a bit like the "90 day stamp", everybody knows what I mean, but you don't get a stamp in your PP, you fill out a paper.

It is just a common misuse of the proper terms and verbage. I have explained to a few very dense folks that no you go to immigration and apply for an extension of stay and show them this ammount of money with all of the approiate copies of passport. Then they will say let me see if I have this correct I go to immigration and apply for a retirement visa, with one individaual I finally got up and walked away.