Police Detain Activist on Anti-Coup Walk

Lite Beer

Well, he's out now.

Everything must be kept calm until the constitution goes through. It is important that the government and police, keep the happiness button turned on.

Still. He will face jail time, with no right to appeal for his first indescretion. So glad another old man was not put in jail.

It would appear that he is a " professional protester"

Does he not have a job to go to?

A silly publicity stunt. He knew what would happen.

He can always wait unti next year and stand for election!

actually, he is the father of a 17 year old student who was killed in 2010.

I doubt that elections are the only concern he has about the current 'government'.

What was his son doing at a violent demonstration?

If he was a student, did he not have classes or homework to do?

Unfortunate but this does happen.

You do not appear to have any sympathy with the PRDC supporters who were murdered in the evening by Redshirts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

you can't stand up for what you stood for here, go with the flow,after all is said and done no one in Thailand seems that interested, if they were there would have been protests by now police or no police, the mass of the pudding swallows the raisins.

You don't seem to understand the concept of martial law. Gatherings of more than five people are banned. Protests are banned. Criticizing the junta is banned.

Ignoring the law means ending up in jail for at least a year. Martial law doesn't allow appeals.

Of course people are interested, but nobody wants to go to jail.

And you've just seen from the OP what has happened to one protester who challenged the law.

They are banned only if they are against the junta. There have been many protesters and gatherings since fall of the elected government.

• Like 2

you can't stand up for what you stood for here, go with the flow,after all is said and done no one in Thailand seems that interested, if they were there would have been protests by now police or no police, the mass of the pudding swallows the raisins.

How long are you in the country? The majority of the country are very angry but will not show it. They are waiting for the next election, if that doesn't happen or there are funny counting you will see the other side of these people that seems to have no interest. Very few Thai's will open up infront of a foreigner only after they are 100% certain they can trust you will they open.

I've been here 9 years, i live in Isaan, supposedly a red stronghold. I don't speak about politics with the locals,i'm a foreigner it has nothing to do with me but what i have witnessed is apathy, all the people want is a good income and they don't care who gives it to them. If i talk to the wife about the situation in Thailand she just shrugs,all she wants is the rice money owed to her since 2013, her opinion is, no matter who is in power they are all thieves so what is the difference. She has always voted but come the next time she wont.

Maybe she should vote from the heart, as many people in Thailand vote only to the highest bidder, for their vote, then moan when it goes tits up

Many years ago I had a gf who was quite well educated, to a Thai standard anyway as she knew little of the outside world.

She was ready to discuss things including topics she would hesitate to mention at home and regularly complained about politicians and how things were run.

BUT whenever I suggested the Thai people could change things she reverted to a robotic " I have been programmed " mode and explained how the ' little people ' couldn't do much and accepted, albeit reluctantly, that those and such as those had it all stitched up.

Until such an attitude and acceptance can be changed Thailand will not progress.

Edited by NongKhaiKid
  • Like 2

Under Martial Law gathering of 5 or more to protest is illegal but story says only 4 marched (inviting the public to join them) - so not sure why he was arrested? He's already going to police station on the 16th for a previous demonstration - guessing more than 5 then!!!!

The guy is a professional trouble maker who deserves a flogging. If it had been a bunch of ordinary Thai's I would be behind them 100%.

Where does it say he is a "professional trouble maker" ? Any links to substantiate your accusation?

Point who is not a trouble maker in the Country ? If you stand up for your rights, you are trouble maker. If you usurp power and install military law, you are a trouble maker. If you do nothing, nothing will change.

Please see phil's post phil2407 He's already going to police station on the 16th for a previous demonstration -

How long are you in the country? The majority of the country are very angry but will not show it. They are waiting for the next election, if that doesn't happen or there are funny counting you will see the other side of these people that seems to have no interest. Very few Thai's will open up infront of a foreigner only after they are 100% certain they can trust you will they open.

How long have you been in the country?

The majority of people living in rural Thailand, certainly around here don't really give a rats a*** WHO run the country as they know that whoever it is will screw them anyway. I can't speak for the majority of the country simply because I don't KNOW who are the majority of the country are unlike SOUTHERNSTAR who must know most people in the country

Most of the poor people around here care about a roof over their heads, a job, food on the table and a prayer that their kids aren't involved in drugs. The farmers have another prayer for rain and worry about how much they will get for their crop of whatever and they worry if there will be a crop to harvest.

I have lived in Thailand for 14 years and up here in rural Thailand for 11 of them and while it does take Thais a long time to trust you, if you are a patient listener they will talk to you and even out here a far number of Thais speak English, even a few forest monks for the local temple.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

He was ordered to love and worship the Junta and it's leaders and anything other than 110% devotion to your leaders will not be tolerated. Prayuth wonders why he is not welcome in places like the USA and Australia, this is one of the major reasons and how they picture his Junta. They see it as a total D

I think you've drunk enough kool-aid today. The truth is that Prayuth came to power illegitimately. He has a tendency to say some pretty stupid things. There has been some suppression of press and speech freedoms. Despite all of that, his government has performed fairly well. And the majority of Thais recognize this and are not going to rock the boat to elect another corrupt government which they know will be worse for them. If the suppression of freedoms was severe enough or the government caused them great distress, they would rise up. The army couldn't withstand a major episode of civil unrest. Patience, however, is wearing thin and the Junta will need to soon get a new constitution in place and make way for elections. Don't try to impose your western democratic values upon a situation that requires a different solution. That would be failing to think outside the box, an attitude most westerners criticize the Thais for lacking.

• Like 2

It would appear that he is a " professional protester"

Does he not have a job to go to?

A silly publicity stunt. He knew what would happen.

He can always wait unti next year and stand for election!

actually, he is the father of a 17 year old student who was killed in 2010.

I doubt that elections are the only concern he has about the current 'government'.

What was his son doing at a violent demonstration?

If he was a student, did he not have classes or homework to do?

Unfortunate but this does happen.

You do not appear to have any sympathy with the PRDC supporters who were murdered in the evening by Redshirts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you appear to have not read my posts on that subject...

The rest of your post demonstrates the same level of empathy as your first post. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Some people wonder why Thais seem so complacent with being ruled by a military junta. Protests seem only rare occasions and then by only a few unorganized people.

Maybe the answer is, in part, that the whole nation suffers from Stockholm syndrome - a psychological condition where the hostage becomes sympathetic towards the kidnappers:

- The hostage is abused physically or verbally by the captors.

- People who feel helpless in anxiety are ready to do anything to survive

- The bonding between the captive and the captor is a survival mechanism for the victim.

This syndrome happens when the hostage mistakes the act of captor of not killing or abusing them as an act of kindness. Due to fear and anxiety, the emotions developed become strong emotional attachments. The junta reinforces such attachments by a constant stream of pro-junta surveys and Happiness Events.

The Junta has symbolically kidnapped citizen’s rights and liberties. It holds citizens psychologically hostage through intimidation, attitude adjustments, secret detention, imprisonment, and financial ruin such that citizens excuse or rationalize the Junta’s right to abuse them.

I i allowed to press ''LIKE'' for this post of yours? Not to long back i read the general considers someone who clicks ''LIKE'' subject to arrest just as much as the person who wrote it. w00t.gif

• Like 1

They should change their tune and went to protest outside the US embassy. They would of been allowed to protest then.

You're probably right, dragon.

It would serve Thailand best to stifle all forms of discent and protest.

THey don't need any change...

He was ordered to love and worship the Junta and it's leaders and anything other than 110% devotion to your leaders will not be tolerated. Prayuth wonders why he is not welcome in places like the USA and Australia, this is one of the major reasons and how they picture his Junta. They see it as a total D

I think you've drunk enough kool-aid today. The truth is that Prayuth came to power illegitimately. He has a tendency to say some pretty stupid things. There has been some suppression of press and speech freedoms. Despite all of that, his government has performed fairly well. And the majority of Thais recognize this and are not going to rock the boat to elect another corrupt government which they know will be worse for them. If the suppression of freedoms was severe enough or the government caused them great distress, they would rise up. The army couldn't withstand a major episode of civil unrest. Patience, however, is wearing thin and the Junta will need to soon get a new constitution in place and make way for elections. Don't try to impose your western democratic values upon a situation that requires a different solution. That would be failing to think outside the box, an attitude most westerners criticize the Thais for lacking.

Many pro junta westerners and Thais say the military government is doing "well" . How are they doing "well" ? Can you be specific ?

It has made Thailand an awful place to do business with inflexible visa requirements, as well as, the general feeling you just do not want to do business in a place where force preferred over dialogue .

You don't seem to understand the concept of martial law. Gatherings of more than five people are banned. Protests are banned. Criticizing the junta is banned.

Ignoring the law means ending up in jail for at least a year. Martial law doesn't allow appeals.

And you've just seen from the OP what has happened to one protester who challenged the law.

They are banned only if they are against the junta. There have been many protesters and gatherings since fall of the elected government.

Just leave them to fix the country and stop these pointless protests that achieve nothing other than to slow the government down.

All the government is doing is using marshal law to stop people interfering with the governments vital work and considering that the majority of Thai people want this to remain for the time being, they are simply abiding by their wishes to see it enforced.

• Like 1

Nothing has happened to him,he has been set free. A gathering of 5 people maybe against the law but if you aren't protesting nothing is going to happen. All of my village gathered at the government bank in Isaan to protest ( not quietly, in fact some violence was involved) about not being paid yet for the 2013 harvest,it was broken up by the army and the police were told to clear off and what happened, nothing,no arrests.

• Like 1

Nothing has happened to him,he has been set free. A gathering of 5 people maybe against the law but if you aren't protesting nothing is going to happen. All of my village gathered at the government bank in Isaan to protest ( not quietly, in fact some violence was involved) about not being paid yet for the 2013 harvest,it was broken up by the army and the police were told to clear off and what happened, nothing,no arrests.

Do you mean the pink and gold government bank or the blue and white farmers government bank?

Do you mean the pink and gold government bank or the blue and white farmers government bank?

I think it was green and white, i didn't go and protest, a bit stupid for a foreigner to get involved, the wife went,she said one farmer cut his wrists and smeared blood on the door and the village chief punched a soldier in the mouth who had grabbed hold of him but after a few wai's everyone was smiling and joking.

• Like 1

Just leave them to fix the country and stop these pointless protests that achieve nothing other than to slow the government down.

All the government is doing is using marshal law to stop people interfering with the governments vital work and considering that the majority of Thai people want this to remain for the time being, they are simply abiding by their wishes to see it enforced.

The whole suspension of civil liberties so the government can perform its "vital" work. What happens if people do not agree with that work ? No government is beyond being called into account, not this one nor the last one. What is it with some westerners sympathy for the junta ?

• Like 2

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.