How did you form your opinion of Thai people

kannot

I think most of us who live here day in and day out understand that our interactions with Thai folks form our opinions and feelings about the Thai. Even simply observing Thai behavior without close interaction can cause some to form strong opinions.

What would really be interesting is to ask this question of TV readers who spend little time here in Thailand. I know that there are a number of readers who visit for a short time each year or who are contemplating a move to Thailand. How has reading TV affected your view of Thailand and its people?

• Like 1

Love No.1 "Cow kicked our car".

Brilliant.

1. Getting rear ended by some dozy bitch, she flees the scene, we give the cops her reg plate, nothing done about it. That cost me 40,000 baht.

2. Rented our property out to some student teachers, they obviously forgot the keys and broke in, they told us someone else had broken in. My Onkyo speakers went missing that day.

3. According to my neighbour, my missus was shagging around because she came home of an evening time after university, when it was dark.

4. Man on motorbike driving in the wrong direction hits my car, blames the wife and asks for money. Missus tells him to do one and takes photos of his bike and plate number, again the cops don't do nothing.

I Like number 3 best, I would have counted with "yeah i know we have an open relationship" whilst standing with your Wife next to you, no doubt you would both have become the whores of the street.

Seriously many really have nothing better to do all day.............offer em a job and they run a mile.

• Like 1

I think most of us who live here day in and day out understand that our interactions with Thai folks form our opinions and feelings about the Thai. Even simply observing Thai behavior without close interaction can cause some to form strong opinions.

What would really be interesting is to ask this question of TV readers who spend little time here in Thailand. I know that there are a number of readers who visit for a short time each year or who are contemplating a move to Thailand. How has reading TV affected your view of Thailand and its people?

Hi well I am one who comes and go's to thailand from my home Australia every year I am back here just 2 days now and like reading things on TV it is good fun and laugh a lot with some of the thing you get up to here when living here full time , but for me I could never live here full time I like the place because for one thing I get to have good fun with thai lady you all know what I mean haha .

But live in thailand and put up with the shit you all put up with no thanks you can all have sorry to say I am the lucky one have home here in thailand and home back in Australia.

• Like 2

Brilliant.

1. Getting rear ended by some dozy bitch, she flees the scene, we give the cops her reg plate, nothing done about it. That cost me 40,000 baht.

2. Rented our property out to some student teachers, they obviously forgot the keys and broke in, they told us someone else had broken in. My Onkyo speakers went missing that day.

3. According to my neighbour, my missus was shagging around because she came home of an evening time after university, when it was dark.

4. Man on motorbike driving in the wrong direction hits my car, blames the wife and asks for money. Missus tells him to do one and takes photos of his bike and plate number, again the cops don't do nothing.

I Like number 3 best, I would have counted with "yeah i know we have an open relationship" whilst standing with your Wife next to you, no doubt you would both have become the whores of the street.

Seriously many really have nothing better to do all day.............offer em a job and they run a mile.

I've ran out of likes for the day.

:-)

Kannot, i agree with you 100%. ive had many similar bad expiriences from thai,s but i dont want to go into it. if im pushed then i will give a lot of instances but there have been too many over the years and i dont have time to explain. overall, i dont like the majority of them and do not trust most of them, i find most of them selfish people. yes off course many many decent thai people and i also have some good friends here who have helped me and shown kindness towards me but not many.

saying that , beware and watch out for a lot of farang sharks, theyll have your life savings off you in a flash.

Kannot, i agree with you 100%. ive had many similar bad expiriences from thai,s but i dont want to go into it. if im pushed then i will give a lot of instances but there have been too many over the years and i dont have time to explain. overall, i dont like the majority of them and do not trust most of them, i find most of them selfish people. yes off course many many decent thai people and i also have some good friends here who have helped me and shown kindness towards me but not many.

saying that , beware and watch out for a lot of farang sharks, theyll have your life savings off you in a flash.

Thats one thing I havent had a bad experience with yet, I dont have many friends but the three foreigners I know are very decent sorts, the one is incredibly generous and the other two will always help out if needed,quite big sums of money have gone between the generous one solely on trust, i cant go into detail but several million bahts worth, no contracts no papers just trust in each other built up over the 8 year+ period.

Ive never lived in a touristy area though where perhaps more tend to linger.

The ones that are costly are very annoying. The usual ones like people taking fruit from your trees on the wife's land have to be laughed at, especially when you catch them red handed.

The problem is not when its one or two but they turn up with the pick up and fill it, once when draining my pool the neighbour turned up with two friends jumped in and started dredging for fish right in front of us, Wife told him to piss off, same neighbour who stole the land, a right piece of sh*t his family.

"who are you to deny us to eat" was their comment!!!

Almost 6 years living here.

So many Thai people lie so easily and they do it with zero guilt. Many Thais are very sour and virtually never smile.

On the other hand, when you meet one of those really nice Thai people they can be the nicest of people with the most amazing smiles and that is why this country is called the land of smiles. That slogan just needs to come with a warning; CAUTION: many Thais do not fit the LOS mold.

For me Thai people are extreme in both directions. When they are bad they do it with zero compassion, sympathy or remorse...they can just be so cold. But when they are good they are almost too good, so good I worry for them being taken advantage of by those Thai people who have zero scruples.

From what i see with my wife, 3 of them in the family are decent hard working, the other 5 are bone idle always looking for a handout and if none given first to spout the blackheart nonsense.

• Like 2

Brilliant.

Oh well, you do get Thais who just can not think normally... But I do know some who's not idiots and quite level headed.

I checked out the web site for CEBU. It was so totally full of whingers, moaners, complaints about everything, that I decided I'd come to Thailand.

Join TV

Guess what?

I can't see why most of these folk even stay here.

Yes, I've been duped and there's a possibility that my new car will be lost to me; however it was my own stupid fault, trusting my friend enough to register the car in his name.

Now he's used it as surety for a large loan w00t.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From my early days of arriving here, some 25 years ago, I have learned not to get in Thai people

faces up and close menacing style like, and as long as you don't do that, they're very ok to

live among them, but as soon as you show complete disrespect to them or their country, this

is when they get nasty with you and they don't stop there...

So, even at times when you're right, still be smart about it, and let go, coz nothing good ever going to

come up from a confrontations with a Thai person....

One useless turd at the condo I lived was unlucky as I pushed his buttons every time I had to deal with him. I didn't get in his face so to speak, but I'll be damn if I'll cower down to turds and thugs.

Hi well I am one who comes and go's to thailand from my home Australia every year I am back here just 2 days now and like reading things on TV it is good fun and laugh a lot with some of the thing you get up to here when living here full time , but for me I could never live here full time I like the place because for one thing I get to have good fun with thai lady you all know what I mean haha .
But live in thailand and put up with the shit you all put up with no thanks you can all have sorry to say I am the lucky one have home here in thailand and home back in Australia.

This is going to be my strategy next year. No more full time retirement visa.

Almost 6 years living here.

So many Thai people lie so easily and they do it with zero guilt. Many Thais are very sour and virtually never smile.

On the other hand, when you meet one of those really nice Thai people they can be the nicest of people with the most amazing smiles and that is why this country is called the land of smiles. That slogan just needs to come with a warning; CAUTION: many Thais do not fit the LOS mold.

For me Thai people are extreme in both directions. When they are bad they do it with zero compassion, sympathy or remorse...they can just be so cold. But when they are good they are almost too good, so good I worry for them being taken advantage of by those Thai people who have zero scruples.

As someone once told me, they lie and they are good at it. I've learned, never tell the truth when jammed up here. Make them prove it.

I'm not happy to hear more stories of distrust and ripoffs its a sad thing. I'm pretty distrustful to them myself mostly concerning money. There's few I trust to pay my rent in cash when I'm away. Just this week a well trusted person who's the manager at a bar and that club just closed I could imagine money could have been tight and when I heard that w.union was closed I presumed a trip back home to sisaket with a fistful of dollars could have been on the cards.. Especially when I got a message soon after saying its been collected. But I checked where she was working and called the condo building and told them she was going to be paying. About all I could do from overseas apart from trying to get thonglor police to investigate and that could have been another expense. So I waited and turns out she paid it the very next morning. Probably only a 500thb tip included after being 12 days late on the rent. So I suppose I could relax and try and trust people who I'm pretty sceptical of but consider my friends in BKK. I've learned you've got to be a shark to survive in Bangkok but its a cold and sometimes lonely place and you've got to wonder what's the point if you can't trust a single person and therefore can't have any sort of genuine relationships with Thai people. So I'm going to try and relax a bit these days knowing most of the angles and just going to give time to people who are going to be straight up with me and trustworthy. They're not all that bad I reckon.

personally, if this kind of thing were happening to me time and time again i would stop and take a good look at myself. It really cant always be everybody else's fault.

aren't you the same lot with failed marriages in the west rabbiting on about their evil ex-wives?

dont even get me started in asking why anyone in their right mind would retire to a rural backwater without language skills or local knowledge.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 2

It is apparent that your personality is in conflict with others most of the time. Or you are constantly bad luck. Go to the temple and get blessed. You have some bad vibs. like magnets attracting each other.

bs, its true , nothing to do with this guys personality or character. i also stand by what i say about thai,s , its my honest observation in after years both living and married to them.

• Like 2