Confusing driving experience in Chanthaburi

cnbiz850

It happened last month when I drove on Rt 317 in Chanthaburi. It is a divided highway with two lanes on each side. At the moment I was driving on the right-hand lane when coming to a U-turn section. From faraway I saw a police car parked at the U-turn area and a policeman standing there. As I was approaching, he waved me to pull over, and so I did. Finding that I don't speak Thai, he spoke in broken English with something like "No light, no right lane". I tried to ask for more detailed reasons and obviously he couldn't answer in English. He appeared pretty angry in his face. I guess he was thinking how come this idiot doesn't know about this simple rule. But he let me go anyway.

I kept wondering what he meant. I guess it might be that at U-turn section without light cars not taking U-turns should bear left. But there was absolutely no sign on the road saying anything about this. And in my driving experience in other parts of the country, it doesn't seem the case at all. And that doesn't seem to be a correct guess because he pulled me over before any evidence that I was not making a U-turn.

I kept driving. About half an hour later, coming to another U-turn section, I saw another police car parked there with policeman standing. I was on the right-hand lane, but I pulled to the left lane about 100 meters from the U-turn area. I was again waved to pull over. This policeman appeared nicer and could speak some more English. He even had a radio conversation with the other policeman who pulled me over before. He simply said to me "no right-hand lane, 300 Baht fine". As he was trying to write the ticket, I tried to ask in simple English with gestures: "so officer, I can not drive on the right-hand lane at all?" He thought for a moment and smiled slightly, and then let me go.

I appreciate both officers letting me go. But I still don't understand the reason. Could anyone explain?

Edited by cnbiz850

They want money, and they get angry when you don't seem understand.

Fortunately, it's a numbers game for them, and every car that goes by while you're playing your chin-music is lost revenue.

"...trying to write the ticket..." That's rich.

They want money, and they get angry when you don't seem understand.

Fortunately, it's a numbers game for them, and every car that goes by while you're playing your chin-music is lost revenue.

"...trying to write the ticket..." That's rich.

Even if they want money, they can only get it when someone violated some rule, right?

So you were in the overtaking lane to begin with?

Yes, you can say that. But the two lanes appeared to be quite equal. And many cars stayed on the right-hand lane for quite some time.

The passing lane is for ...... (wait for it).....

Passing.

• Like 1

do you not drive in the west, the outer lane is for overtaking, a favorite police 'catch'

I don't agree. The outer lane is not always for overtaking. If there is a sign in some area that outer lane is for overtaking only, then it is. Otherwise, it is equal as the inner lane.

My incidents all involve the U-turn area, so I guess it has to do with that.

It is actually against the law to drive in the fast lane unless passing. As mentioned above, easy money for the police.

Really? Is that a law for all Thailand roads?

This has come up in the past and that was the general opinion of many here. Interpreting Thai laws is not easy as a lot gets lost in the translation. Plus, they are written to be vague so the cop on the scene can interpret them as they seem fit. Which leaves it open to demands for tea money.

I've been stopped a few times for this on the way up to Khon Kaen. Luckily, granny was in the car one time and gave the cop an ear full. We got off with only 20B. LOL

If you not allowed to drive in one of the lanes, why do the spend all that money to build two?

do you not drive in the west, the outer lane is for overtaking, a favorite police 'catch'

I grew up driving in Los Angeles, is that "west" enough?

In California, while it generally accepted that the lane closest to the center of the road is the "fast" lane, the maximum and minimum speed is the same in all lanes.

In the mountains you will occasionally see slower traffic keep right signs, but aside from that, you can drive a car in any lane you please.

There is no "passing" lane on a divided highway.

I've been driving 60,000-100,000 km a year in Thailand for fifteen years and I have never gotten a ticket for driving in the passing lane, and I most always drive the fast lane.

Actually, I've only gotten three actual tickets here, two were from speed cameras and the third was for illegal lane change.

I don't agree. The outer lane is not always for overtaking. If there is a sign in some area that outer lane is for overtaking only, then it is. Otherwise, it is equal as the inner lane.

My incidents all involve the U-turn area, so I guess it has to do with that.

Your incidents involved U-turn areas because that is where they can park their cars.

Right hand lane is for overtaking, same as in many, many countries: the fast lane is for overtaking. Whether you agree or not really does not matter, those are the rules.

• Like 1

If you not allowed to drive in one of the lanes, why do the spend all that money to build two?

In California, while it generally accepted that the lane closest to the center of the road is the "fast" lane, the maximum and minimum speed is the same in all lanes.

In the mountains you will occasionally see slower traffic keep right signs, but aside from that, you can drive a car in any lane you please.

I've been driving 60,000-100,000 km a year in Thailand for fifteen years and I have never gotten a ticket for driving in the passing lane, and I most always drive the fast lane.

Actually, I've only gotten three actual tickets here, two were from speed cameras and the third was for illegal lane change.

Actually you are incorrect.

https://www.codot.gov/library/Brochures/leftlanebrochure.pdf/at_download/file

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

About what?

About what?

See the pdf (passing lanes in Colorado, and the other link which lists other places with left lane laws

About what?

See the pdf (passing lanes in Colorado, and the other link which lists other places with left lane laws

While they both start with a C, California and Colorado are not the same state.

About what?

While they both start with a C, California and Colorado are not the same state.

Following links can be as hard as following the law:)

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=21001-22000&file=21650-21664

CA codes 21650

Please point out where it says cars have to drive in the right lane, or where the speed limit is different in the left lane than the right lane.

I must have missed it.

Slow traffic keep right.

LOL

In the first sentence.

Yes, it says slow traffic keep right, I said that.

LOL indeed.

"21650. Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right

half of the roadway, except as follows:"

The right half of the road, not the right lane.

I know how confusing this must be for you, but half in this case is referring to all lanes of traffic going the same direction.

Please point out where it says cars have to drive in the right lane, or where the speed limit is different in the left lane than the right lane.

I must have missed it.

Slow traffic keep right.

Confusing posting experience in Thaivisa.com