travelling to thailand in a soon to be expired passport.

It depends on your nationality and not the airline. For the majority of European passport holders and generally English speaking nationalities the 6 month validity requirement was scrapped a long long time ago. Your passport needs to be valid for your length of stay, determined by your onward ticket.

It depends on your nationality and not the airline. For the majority of European passport holders and generally English speaking nationalities the 6 month validity requirement was scrapped a long long time ago. Your passport needs to be valid for your length of stay, determined by your onward ticket.

I see cos when i book airasia it says 6 months at least so it depends on the nationality? so someone else of a different nationality from mine with the same expiry date booking on the airline might be allowed?

so someone else of a different nationality from mine with the same expiry date booking on the airline might be allowed?

Yes.

You can check here if your passport is valid for any particular country

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

No. The difference can be in the destination, not in the passport nationality.

Only nationals of their own country can enter with any validity or even an expired passport.

so someone else of a different nationality from mine with the same expiry date booking on the airline might be allowed?

Yes.

You can check here if your passport is valid for any particular country

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

No. The difference can be in the destination, not in the passport nationality.

Only nationals of their own country can enter with any validity or even an expired passport.

Absolutely not. Entry requirements vary according to nationality. Why do you think some nationals need a visa whereas others are exempt ?. Some nationals need proof of onward travel whereas others do not ? etc etc

Absolutely not. Entry requirements vary according to nationality. Why do you think some nationals need a visa whereas others are exempt ?. Some nationals need proof of onward travel whereas others do not ? etc etc

We are talking about passport validy, not visa requirement,

Show us a case of a country that requires different passport validity for different countries.

Show us a case of a country that requires different passport validity for different countries.

The instances are so numerous I couldn't list them all.

For example Indian nationals entering Thailand need to have 6 months validity on their passports whereas UK nationals don't.

For example Indian nationals entering Thailand need to have 6 months validity on their passports whereas UK nationals don't

Source ? (please not the Thai embassy in India website, and most that Thai embassy websites contain outdated information anyway).

There is no fixed minimum passport validity to enter Thailand, no matter the nationality.

Another example ?

Source ? (please not the Thai embassy in India website, and most that Thai embassy websites contain outdated information anyway).

I work in the airline industry and have access to all relevant documentation. Embassy web-sites are rarely up to date.

There is no fixed minimum passport validity to enter Thailand, no matter the nationality.

The fixed minumum is determined by your intended length of stay, your passport needs to be valid for that time.

Another example ?

Albanian nationals need 6 months validity on their passports to enter Thailand.

I work in the airline industry and have access to all relevant documentation. Embassy web-sites are rarely up to date.

The fixed minumum is determined by your intended length of stay, your passport needs to be valid for that time.

Well, that is not 'fixed'. Fixed means, e.g. 3 or 6 months.

Another example ?

Albanian nationals need 6 months validity on their passports to enter Thailand.

Again, source please? Sorry, your personal access to "all relevant documentation" is not a valid, public source.

Also, I've just tried timatic at

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

for an Albanian and UK citizen travelling to Thailand. In both cases, the requirements include: "Emergency and temporary passports issued to nationals of <insert nationality> must be valid for at least 6 months from date of arrival". As you see, no difference.

Note: That is is an airline only requirement. Not an official Thailand requirment

For example Indian nationals entering Thailand need to have 6 months validity on their passports whereas UK nationals don't

Another example ?

Thailand does have different requirements for passport validity for different countries. Most on the visa exempt list are for a validity for the length of stay.

Try Vietnam here. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Countries who have to have a visa for entry all need to have 6 months validity.

Thailand does have different requirements for passport validity for different countries. Most on the visa exempt list are for a validity for the length of stay.

Try Vietnam here. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Countries who have to have a visa for entry all need to have 6 months validity.

Where the official (not airline) Thailand requirements would be listed ? I have never seen them.

Going back to what the airlines require, see example in my other posting, UK nationality (a visa exempt one) is listed by the airline alliance with 6 months validity required.

---- Timatic output ---

/ 17MAR15 / 1041 UTC

National United Kingdom (GB)

Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)/Destination Thailand (TH)

vi_de.gif

Thailand (TH)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Passports issued to nationals of United Kingdom must be

valid for the period of intended stay.

- for holders of normal passports;

- Emergency and temporary passports issued to nationals of

United Kingdom must be valid for at least 6 months from date

of arrival.

Those are Thailand's rules. The IATA compiles the info from all countries and puts it in its database.

I think you are misreading it.

"in_on_no.gif

Passport required.
- Passports issued to nationals of United Kingdom must be

valid for the period of intended stay.
- for holders of normal passports;"

The next one is for emergency and temporary passports.

"Emergency and temporary passports issued to nationals of

United Kingdom must be valid for at least 6 months from date
of arrival"

EMIRATES turned me away at the airport and fined me. Same situation with me having a 2nd fresh passport with the wife in Bangkok. She had to send the passport by EMS. They wouldn't budge. But that was years ago. YMMV, but I would prepare and get a new passport right away!

@Paz you are not reading your research results properly. The 6 months validity applies only to emergency and temporary passports, normal passports need only to be valid for the period of intended stay.

As always the devil is in the detail and reading thoroughly.

Right, thank you for the correction..