Body of Austrian expat found in rented Phuket house

webfact

Body of Austrian expat found in rented Phuket house

1426560100_1-org.jpg
Mr Siegl's wife told police that he had fallen and died.

PHUKET: -- The body of an 60-year-old Austrian expat was found inside his rented house in Patong yesterday (March 16).

At 6:20pm, Lt Thawatchai Srimai from Kathu police was called to investigate the body of Austrian man found in a rented home on Phrabaramee Rd in Patong.

Police arrived with Kusoldharm rescue workers and found the body of Bruno Siegl, 60, lying on the floor close to a bed.

Mr Siegl was wearing only a pair of printed short and had been dead for at least 1 hour police said.

Mr Siegl̕s Thai wife told police that he had fallen and died.

Rescue workers took Mr Siegl̕s body to Patong hospital for autopsy and police are currently gathering more information to ascertain the cause of death.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/body-of-austrian-expat-found-in-rented-phuket-house-51438.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-17

"Mr Siegl̕s Thai wife told police that he had fallen and died." - how would she know that? Did she see the incident? If so, why did it take "at least 1 hour" for her to call for emergency services?

Dear Sherlock/Maigret/Poirot

The article doesn't say that she waited 1hour to call the police.

It says "Mr Siegl was wearing only a pair of printed short and had been dead for at least 1 hour police said."

It doesn't say how much time she spent shaking him, trying to revive him, panicking, crying, panicking a bit more, crying a bit more, wondering how she was going to manage without him, panicking, crying a bit more. And then getting it together to call the police.

It doesn't say how long it took the police to arrive.

It doesn't say how much longer it took the police doctor to arrive.

It doesn't say at what time the police doctor made his estimate of time of death.

Elementary, Watson,

it's not about what the article says, or doesn't say.

It's about the questions the police should be asking her.

• Like 1

How unusual. Normally these police seem to be qualified coroners who are able to pinpoint the cause of death and how it occurred within seconds

It's a lot easier to just accept the version of events from the person who reported it. No matter that they are most likely the one who stands to financially gain the most from the deceased.

That thing in blue and the pig on the left look like they are laughing.

All the way to the bank!!!

In many cases, the difference between "the bank" and the "monkey house" is their own version of events to an incompetent and lazy police department.

• Like 1

I wonder how good you'd look in similar circumstances? Surely you're not being so insensitive and gratuitously personal as to criticise his wife's physical appearance, are you, Adonis?

Why don't you post a picture of yourself, let's see how you stack up.

• Like 1

"Mr Siegl̕s Thai wife told police that he had fallen and died." - how would she know that? Did she see the incident? If so, why did it take "at least 1 hour" for her to call for emergency services?

Dear Sherlock/Maigret/Poirot

The article doesn't say that she waited 1hour to call the police.

It says "Mr Siegl was wearing only a pair of printed short and had been dead for at least 1 hour police said."

It doesn't say how much time she spent shaking him, trying to revive him, panicking, crying, panicking a bit more, crying a bit more, wondering how she was going to manage without him, panicking, crying a bit more. And then getting it together to call the police.

It doesn't say how long it took the police to arrive.

It doesn't say how much longer it took the police doctor to arrive.

It doesn't say at what time the police doctor made his estimate of time of death.

Or how long she stood over him waiting for him to stop breathing....dont think it dont happen.

The article said, "Mr Siegl was wearing only a pair of printed short and had been dead for at least 1 hour police said."

It appears the police were already there when they made that observation. Maybe it took them an hour to get there. Why would you ask why it took her an hour to call? She may have tried to resusitate him, she may have been in shock, she may have had someone else call.

How did she know he had fallen and died? Yes, maybe she saw it, or maybe she assumed it from where he was and the fact he was dead.

May the Austrian man Rest in Peace.

But what is this, recently, with expats falling down and dying or falling over balconies?

I have a phobia with snakes coming out of the toilet, now I have developed another one fearing of falling down.

That is a warning to you old people, to take care where you step and try to control your balance. (I'm still young at 68, so have no fears)

And another thing, try to get younger wives, so they take care of you.

Looking at the picture, if the one in the green top was his wife not surprised he topped himself.

Oh well! I'm much younger than you then (66), but I agree with you about the wife thing, and never go out on the balcony with her, I'm on the tenth floor, and don't have a parachute. But seriously, as you say may the man RIP.

My thoughts exactly when I first seen the photo. You are right on the money. I dont see either of them looking heartbroken as one would expect. Husband died in front of you and one hour later laughing?????? blink.png

To all the conspiracy theorists, death can come suddenly, even to a relatively young man of 60. 7 years ago, at the age of 53, I was fishing with friends in the middle of nowhere, over one hour away from any medical services. All day, I thought I had heartburn, and just ignored it. Finallly, at 7 in the evening, I was thinking about my grandfather, who had told me he thought he had heartburn when he actually had his first heart attack. I asked a friend to drive me into the nearest emergency room to have it checked out. It took an hour to get there. When I arrived, I explained my symptoms. I was put in a cubicle and hooked up to a monitor. The nurse said she would be right back. The next thing I know, I was waking up surrounded by medical personnel. I had sufferred Sudden Cardiac Arrest. Because I was at the hospital, the alarms went off, and I was rescusitated with an electric defibrillator. If I had not come to the emergency room, I would be dead now. It could possibly appearred to my friends I had fallen asleep. So it could happen to anyone. I had no indicators, and had my yearly physical the previous month. I now have an implanted defibrillator, which will shock my heart if I have a recurrance of SCA. I too, thought at first that the woman was laughing, but looking closer, she is crying. My condolences to her and his family.

• Like 1

To all the conspiracy theorists, death can come suddenly, even to a relatively young man of 60. 7 years ago, at the age of 53, I was fishing with friends in the middle of nowhere, over one hour away from any medical services. All day, I thought I had heartburn, and just ignored it. Finallly, at 7 in the evening, I was thinking about my grandfather, who had told me he thought he had heartburn when he actually had his first heart attack. I asked a friend to drive me into the nearest emergency room to have it checked out. It took an hour to get there. When I arrived, I explained my symptoms. I was put in a cubicle and hooked up to a monitor. The nurse said she would be right back. The next thing I know, I was waking up surrounded by medical personnel. I had sufferred Sudden Cardiac Arrest. Because I was at the hospital, the alarms went off, and I was rescusitated with an electric defibrillator. If I had not come to the emergency room, I would be dead now. It could possibly appearred to my friends I had fallen asleep. So it could happen to anyone. I had no indicators, and had my yearly physical the previous month. I now have an implanted defibrillator, which will shock my heart if I have a recurrance of SCA. I too, thought at first that the woman was laughing, but looking closer, she is crying. My condolences to her and his family.

Thank you landslide for this report. You really had an angel watching above you!

"I now have an implanted defibrillator, which will shock my heart if I have a recurrance of SCA." Wouldn't you mind to tell the community more about this, e.g. where you got it implanted (which hospital) and how much it cost you? I read some time ago that SCA can be countered with a defibrillator and someones life saved as in your case. I think it would be wise for me to buy one as I have heart problems since many years. Don't know where to buy one.

Edited by Dario

Thank you landslide for this report. You really had an angel watching above you!

"I now have an implanted defibrillator, which will shock my heart if I have a recurrance of SCA." Wouldn't you mind to tell the community more about this, e.g. where you got it implanted (which hospital) and how much it cost you? I read some time ago that SCA can be countered with a defibrillator and someones life saved as in your case. I think it would be wise for me to buy one as I have heart problems since many years. Don't know where to buy one.

I actually have what is called an ICD (Implanted Cardiac Device). It is a combination of defibrillator and pacemaker (I have always had a low heart rate). It is about 2'L X 1"W X .5"D. From it, there are 3 wires run through blood vessels to the right atrium and left and right ventricles of the heart. These leads can both monitor heart activity, and supply electronic pulses to stimulate the heart, increasing or decreasing the heart rate as needed. It can also send a high voltage charge to the heart, in the case of SCA. The device stores a record of the heart's activity, which can then be read by a technician during checkups. I see the technician every 6 months, and in between, the device is read by a unit the size of a modem in my bedroom when I sleep. The unit then sends the information to a computer in my cardiologist's office over wifi, and can even reprogram the ICD wirelessly, if needed. If there is any problem, the Doctor will contact me, but that has never happened. The battery in the ICD lasts about 6 years. I recently had my original unit replaced after 6.5 years. Cost was approximately $28 thousand here in the United States, and required a 1 night stay in the hospital. Most of the cost was covered by insurance. The device is placed under the skin near my left shoulder. You can feel it if you press the area, but otherwise, I really don't know it is there. I consider it my "insurance policy". I have checked, and the same device and procedure is available in Thailand, but I do not know the cost, though I would imagine it would be substantially less expensive. My device is made by St. Jude Medical, and is available around the world, but there are devices made by other manufactureres that are virtually identical. The only restriction I have is to not pass through security scanners, such as at the airport. I ask them to hand check me. Never had a problem with that in any country I was in.

I really don't see proper investigation into the death of a person as dealing with a "conspiracy theory."

The one certainty in life, is death. People die - simple as that.

Phuket has an aging expat population. Eventually, that day will come for us all.

Of course, not all deaths on Phuket are murders, but one would be naive to think they are all from natural causes, or misadventure.

If the police here were to do their job properly, and make some enquiries into whether the deceased recently purchased property, or changed their will etc, it may raise some suspicions which would lead to further investigation.

How many murders here go undetected and unpunished, due to a lazy, incompetent and corrupt police department?

My thoughts exactly when I first seen the photo. You are right on the money. I dont see either of them looking heartbroken as one would expect. Husband died in front of you and one hour later laughing?????? blink.png

Probably helped him draw up his Last Will & Testament before she stuck her foot out as he walked past.