Feature film to be shot in Phuket

webfact

Feature film to be shot in Phuket
The Phuket News

1426563240_1-org.jpg
Writer/Director Jim Newport.

Phuket: -- A group of Phuket based American screenwriters are hoping to do for Phuket what China done for Chiang Mai by shooting a feature film entirely on Phuket.

Chiang Mai became increasingly popular with Chinese tourists after the Chinese comedy Lost In Thailand was filmed there in 2012.

BAREFOOT (an original screenplay by Jim Newport) is a contemporary drama that follows an American schoolteacher (James Dumont,) a retired couple (Tommy Chong and Pepper Jay) and an ex-boxer (Max Ryan) on their journey to retirement in Phuket.

Two northern Thai women and a child also travel to the island. Escaping poverty is their goal. Fate brings these wounded souls to a magical, thatched roof beachside bar in Phuket.

Together, their lives are changed… forever.

Emmy-nominated Writer/Director/Production Designer Jim (James) Newport (Mechanic II, LOST, Bangkok Dangerous) will be hosting a "launch party" for his feature film project BAREFOOT on March 26 at HOME, John Underwood’s unique restaurant in Kalim.

Together with Producer Les Nordhauser (Greenlight Films) they will share their film making experiences, both around the world, and specifically in Thailand.

A short promo film will kick the evening off. The story, setting, cast, history and future of the movie BAREFOOT will then be presented.This is an opportunity for all of Phuket to come together and participate in a rewarding, artistic adventure.

To make this low budget film, not only cash investors are needed – but also: transportation, lodging, caterers, office space, plane tickets, artists, craftsmen, graphic designers, office assistants, actors, extras, wardrobe people, etc.

According to Newport, the genesis of the project goes back at least six or seven years. “Ed Vaughan had organised a group of writers on the island who met once a week at the Underwood Factory and discussed the craft of screenwriting. The intended goal was to make a film in Phuket.

“I have spent a year and a half writing and developing Barefoot. I have lined up a terrific cast from the US & the UK and we will begin pre-production this summer. The film will be shot October 15 – November 15," Newport said.

John Underwood, owner of HOME restaurant, is investing in Barefoot – having agreed to lend his Underwood Art Factory and its artisans to the film as a soundstage and workshop for the sets and prop construction and filming.

This brings John’s career full circle as he started out in Australia in 1969 as an assistant to two-time Oscar winning PAINT YOUR WAGON Production Designer John Truscott.

Award-winning Chef Daniel Isberg will create a special movie-themed ‘Chef’s Dinner” – for 650THB. Formerly a Hollywood “Chef to the Stars” Chef Daniel assures that the 4 course meal (featuring Black pepper Grilled Wagyu Beef ) will get rave reviews!

Reservations: 098 764 6753

The Phuket News is proud to be a sponsor of this event.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/feature-film-to-be-shot-in-phuket-51440.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-17

Sounds like this is actually going to be a no-budget-at-all romantic comedy that plays on a whole range of worn-out cliches (it already begins with the "thatched roof beachside bar", and I'm sure there'll be a psychedelic sunset somewhere, too) that entices the Thailand Film Office to gladly approve the script, yet forces down audiences' throats a wishy-washy fairytale Thailand that simply doesn't exist and where all main characters live happily ever after.

And honestly, if I were Jim Newport, I am not sure I'd want to highlight in my C.V. that I was partially responsible for "Bangkok Dangerous"...

• Like 1

Two northern Thai women and a child also travel to the island. Escaping poverty is their goal. Fate brings these wounded souls to a magical, thatched roof beachside bar in Phuket.

The movie ends when the army move in and demolish their illegal beach bar and the site gets taken over by jet-ski operators.

I thought the movie might end with a western farang buying the Northern Thai woman a house, farm, shop, car, motorbike and gold, and then she leaves him and returns to Northern Thailand a rich woman, retiring early, having "escaped poverty."

The final scene of the movie is the western farang jumping to his death from a balcony.

No, the last 10 minutes is about the Thai woman losing everything to a Thai boyfriend who is younger than she is.

The movie ends when the army move in and demolish their illegal beach bar and the site gets taken over by jet-ski operators.

I thought the movie might end with a western farang buying the Northern Thai woman a house, farm, shop, car, motorbike and gold, and then she leaves him and returns to Northern Thailand a rich woman, retiring early, having "escaped poverty."

The final scene of the movie is the western farang jumping to his death from a balcony.

No, the last 10 minutes is about the Thai woman losing everything to a Thai boyfriend who is younger than she is.

Well, that would mean the final scene shows her returning back to the bar, to "escape poverty" - again. biggrin.png

Well, that would mean the final scene shows her returning back to the bar, to "escape poverty" - again. biggrin.png

To make it palatable for Thai viewers, the ghost of the farang balcony jumper should come back to haunt her.

Love your "On the buses" avatar, brings back fond memories!

Love your "On the buses" avatar, brings back fond memories!

Yes. Should find a role for Blakey in this new movie.

A film crew were setting up at the end of Rawai jetty at sunset about 2 hours ago.

A van with stickers ANAGRAM on the side....with Director 1 on the windscreen was parked in the jetty carpark.

Anagram is a swedish movie company currently doing work in Thailand....

Edited by sanuk21