Am I the only one who doesn't know how to use a Sat/Nav?

giddyup

As I mentioned before, I bought a new run-out model Triton a few months back that came equipped with a SpeedNavi GPS system. The manual supplied was in Thai but I did get an English online copy sent to me. However, even with the few pages I've printed off from the manual I'm having a lot of difficulty making sense of it all. I've never had any kind of GPS system before, either hand held or installed in a vehicle, and I'm not totally clueless when it comes to technology, but for some reason I'm finding this system beyond me. Like a lot of guys I'm probably not great with reading manuals, so what I really need is someone who has a few more clues than me to give me a crash course in it's operation. Any (sensible ones) ideas? BTW, I'm in Pattaya.

Edited by giddyup

Did you check if there were youtube demonstration video's. I would be lost without sat nav.. but it has big drawbacks here in Thailand.

One of the biggest is that because there is no rule how thai is written with English characters you often cant find streets and such.

In general I just pick a location in google maps and use those coordinates on my gps.

I don't know how good you are at remembering the way (im bad) so after I have been somewhere i just save it in the GPS and then next time you can use it.

• Like 1

Did you check if there were youtube demonstration video's. I would be lost without sat nav.. but it has big drawbacks here in Thailand.

One of the biggest is that because there is no rule how thai is written with English characters you often cant find streets and such.

In general I just pick a location in google maps and use those coordinates on my gps.

I don't know how good you are at remembering the way (im bad) so after I have been somewhere i just save it in the GPS and then next time you can use it.

It's not just using it to find towns, places etc, it's how to enter your home location so it will find a route back if you're lost, how to find the shortest route etc. It's not just a simple street finder, it has a lot of other features as well, more than I want to list here. I need someone who has the same system and understands it to give me a few pointers. Happy to buy them a beer or three and meet where they suggest in Pattaya. No, no youtube demos.

Edited by giddyup

Good luck. I don't know why guys buy satnavs here ( as I initially wanted to when I came here) when a smart phone will do almost as well. You spelled it wrong? Google maps will make a suggestion. I have Google bookmarks with all the places I have been to or want to go to synced from PC to phone and vice versa. Turn by turn voice guidance (including the occasional instruction to do a sharp left into a canal), alternative routes, overlays of fuel stations etc. I have been all over TH using either my iPhone or the wife's Android.

Good luck. I don't know why guys buy satnavs here ( as I initially wanted to when I came here) when a smart phone will do almost as well. You spelled it wrong? Google maps will make a suggestion. I have Google bookmarks with all the places I have been to or want to go to synced from PC to phone and vice versa. Turn by turn voice guidance (including the occasional instruction to do a sharp left into a canal), alternative routes, overlays of fuel stations etc. I have been all over TH using either my iPhone or the wife's Android.

You didn't read what I said, I didn't buy it, it was included in the standard equipment with the vehicle, and there's no point in telling me what a smart phone will do, because that's not what I asked.

Not at all, but your response doesn't help with my problem. I'm asking about the equipment already installed in my vehicle, there's no point in suggesting a smart phone as a better alternative. I want to be able to use what I have.

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

I think Androids sounds like a prob only Penicillin can fix. Hope She gets better.

Who mentioned Androids AOP?

Cooked did, the bloke who was trying to be helpful and got a slap in the chops for his trouble.

He wasn't being helpful at all. I thought I made my question/problem pretty clear, that I wanted help with understanding the existing equipment, not if a smart phone may or may not be better. How does that help me?

It's not just using it to find towns, places etc, it's how to enter your home location so it will find a route back if you're lost, how to find the shortest route etc. It's not just a simple street finder, it has a lot of other features as well, more than I want to list here. I need someone who has the same system and understands it to give me a few pointers. Happy to buy them a beer or three and meet where they suggest in Pattaya. No, no youtube demos.

I have an older Speednavi system and it allows locations to be entered, named and recalled in the "My Places" menu.

When a route to a destination is calculated, options for fastest / shortest distance / Highways etc are available under the "Route" menu.

The details way be different for the newer system but the functions should be there somewhere.

Edited by Jitar

I have an older Speednavi system and it allows locations to be entered, named and recalled in the "My Places" menu.

When a route to a destination is calculated, options for fastest / shortest distance / Highways etc are available under the "Route" menu.

The details way be different for the newer system but the functions should be there somewhere.

OK thanks.

Just for information of all, SATNAV has not existed for a couple of decades. It is now called GPS and works from a different satellite system.

I still call a radio a "wireless", so forgive me.

• Like 1

All the systems work similar, its not really rocket science and you can learn a lot by trial and error. You can't really damage such a system. You might erase your home location or change some preferences but other as that its real hard to screw up.

It takes courage and an open mind and of course a bit of skill to learn this. A smart phone is more complicated for sure.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can't really help the OP much as I have a Garmin GPS. As already noted, a major problem is the many different ways of transcribing Thai into the Roman alphabet. For example, Garmin transcribes Jomtien as Chom Tian. Now, if you didn't know that how would you work that out?

Using co-ordinates from Google maps sounds like a good idea but I also now save a location to my GPS once I've reached my destination so I can find it again without any problems.

Alan

All the systems work similar, its not really rocket science and you can learn a lot by trial and error. You can't really damage such a system. You might erase your home location or change some preferences but other as that its real hard to screw up.

It takes courage and an open mind and of course a bit of skill to learn this. A smart phone is more complicated for sure.

I learnt how to use a computer for the first time at 60, so I'm not adverse to giving new technology a go, and I'm not afraid of screwing it up, but there are features that are just confusing to me, like User Camera, and the manual doesn't explain much. Now, I could play around with the system for a month and be none the wiser, or I could ask for some help like I have. If I'd spent half my life playing video games or have an i phone grafted to my hand, maybe this would all come easy, but I didn't and it doesn't.

I would gladly meet with you and share what little knowledge I have (two heads are better that one) but I honestly think you would be better off getting somebody with more know how that myself.

When I first came to Thailand I did not even know how to switch on a computer. The first time I went into one of those shops to try to learn how to operate one (you know, the 25-30 Baht. an hour ones) I had to call the assistant to switch it on for me.

Then I had a brain wave. I placed an Ad. on the notice board of the then Carrefour (Now Big C) asking for somebody to teach me the fundementals of operating a computer. I got one reply and on the first occasion he spent 8 hours with me showing me stuff and at the end of the day would not take one penny from me. Thereafter he called on a regular basis and I learned more stuff each time. We became good friends but unfortunately we have now gone our seperate ways.

Now, if I found myself in a simular situation (such as your own) I would do the same again or for possible quicker results place a free Ad. in a suitable columb on one of a few websites. A columb like "Volenteers" or "Personal" or "Friends" .

Good luck and always remember...."Where's there's a will.......there's a way".

P.S. I'm sure there might be one or two people around that are retired and have time on their hands and would enjoy helping out...it weould be good for them too.

• Like 1

I really sympathise with the OP. I cannot help him as there is no preinstalled SatNav in my car (Mercedes GLA) so I am planning on getting a Garmin device. All I can say is with the dashcam I installed it took a couple of return visits to the shop to explain to me in words of one syllable how to operate it. Perhaps he could go to the dealer who supplied the car although sometimes I find they are equally baffled by the electronic gizmos in modern cars. Alternatively find someone moderately intelligent of school age and they will have it sorted in five minutes flat. I think that would be better than any explanation proffered on this board as it really needs someone to show you hands on and walk you through it.

Good Luck!

I would gladly meet with you and share what little knowledge I have (two heads are better that one) but I honestly think you would be better off getting somebody with more know how that myself.

When I first came to Thailand I did not even know how to switch on a computer. The first time I went into one of those shops to try to learn how to operate one (you know, the 25-30 Baht. an hour ones) I had to call the assistant to switch it on for me.

Then I had a brain wave. I placed an Ad. on the notice board of the then Carrefour (Now Big C) asking for somebody to teach me the fundementals of operating a computer. I got one reply and on the first occasion he spent 8 hours with me showing me stuff and at the end of the day would not take one penny from me. Thereafter he called on a regular basis and I learned more stuff each time. We became good friends but unfortunately we have now gone our seperate ways.

Now, if I found myself in a simular situation (such as your own) I would do the same again or for possible quicker results place a free Ad. in a suitable columb on one of a few websites. A columb like "Volenteers" or "Personal" or "Friends" .

Good luck and always remember...."Where's there's a will.......there's a way".

P.S. I'm sure there might be one or two people around that are retired and have time on their hands and would enjoy helping out...it weould be good for them too.

Thanks. I thought I'd start with the motoring section here before I take another step. There's no urgency in learning how to use it, I managed without one for over 70 years, another few months isn't going to make much difference.

I really sympathise with the OP. I cannot help him as there is no preinstalled SatNav in my car (Mercedes GLA) so I am planning on getting a Garmin device. All I can say is with the dashcam I installed it took a couple of return visits to the shop to explain to me in words of one syllable how to operate it. Perhaps he could go to the dealer who supplied the car although sometimes I find they are equally baffled by the electronic gizmos in modern cars. Alternatively find someone moderately intelligent of school age and they will have it sorted in five minutes flat. I think that would be better than any explanation proffered on this board as it really needs someone to show you hands on and walk you through it.

Good Luck!

I've already been to Mitsubishi looking for some help. You'd be surprised, or maybe you wouldn't, at how ignorant they were about the product they sell. Only one guy in the service centre knew anything about the GPS and he only spoke Thai and wanted the system change back into Thai language before he could show me anything. Obviously, that was of no use to me. A school age Thai who speaks English and understands my GPS is not likely to come knocking on my door anytime soon, so I'll hopefully find a falang who can help.

I don't know about 'How to use one' but I had to click on to here to find out what a Sat/Nav is ??????? SORRY----- Am I a troll?(Iam serious)

Sat/Nav (satellite navigation), GPS same thing.

Hi Giddyup- It took me awhile to figure out the gps in my Toyota. As I live up north I can't help you directly but, I spent 30 years+ in the criminal field ( on the " good" side) and I suggest you never enter your home coordinates (at least not labelled as such) on the gps. Disguise the entry. If someone lifts your vehicle they will know you cannot be at home so it is open season for burglars. Imy humble opinion.

• Like 1

I can feel for the OP as I am still trying to find my way around my NAV system in my new Mazda 3. It is just trial and error. I did manage to put my HOME setting in. My unit displays your current location on a map when it is turned on. If I touch that location (my unit has a touch screen) it will save that location and then I labeled it as HOME. Other locations are a little easier, at least on my unit, as I just type in the address and it gives me the location on the map. I touch that location and it is set in the memory. If I was near Pattaya I would try to give you a hand. Good luck.

Hi Giddyup- It took me awhile to figure out the gps in my Toyota. As I live up north I can't help you directly but, I spent 30 years+ in the criminal field ( on the " good" side) and I suggest you never enter your home coordinates (at least not labelled as such) on the gps. Disguise the entry. If someone lifts your vehicle they will know you cannot be at home so it is open season for burglars. Imy humble opinion.

Assuming they could work it better than me, and it would be in English, not Thai, the glovebox has plenty of info re home address. Like copies of blue book, insurance papers, etc, etc, all have home address on them.