A large influx of Chinese tourists visited Thailand, Q1 tourism booms

webfact

A large influx of Chinese tourists visited Thailand, Q1 tourism booms

chi.jpg

File photo. Source: Internet

BANGKOK, 18 Mar 2015 (NNT) – The Department of Tourism has indicated that the Kingdom’s tourism sector has enjoyed a boost in the first quarter, thanks to a large influx of Chinese tourists.

According to the Department, tourists from mainland China have replaced the declining number of Russian visitors. The latter’s figure registered a negative growth of 45.97% in January given Russia’s current economic and political turmoil.

Department of Tourism Director-General Second Lieutenant Anuphab Kesornsuwan said that the number of tourists visiting Thailand in January was 2.65 million, a solid increase of 16.30% from the same period last year. The rise continued in February at 29.60% while in the first 13 days of this month the number of foreign visitors has already showed an increase of 27.6% year-on-year.

According to him, Thailand has become the number one destination for Chinese travellers in the first 2 months of this year. The Director-General pointed out the number would likely continue to grow as more and more Chinese individuals start to make their way to Thailand even though the figure of those coming with tour operators is on a decline.

Director-General Anuphab stated Bangkok is the most popular destination for these tourists, closely followed by Chiang Mai and Phuket.

The Director-General also said Thailand ranks 5th in terms of popularity for Japanese tourists, saying these visitors currently favor secondary tourism towns more than Bangkok.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-18 footer_n.gif

Chinese tourists are the future. I would guess over the next 10-20 years Chinese tourists numbers will quadruple easily. How many northern europeans pour into Spain, Malta, Greece, Turkey, Tenerife etc every summer for a holiday at the beach? many many millions more than the current

number of Chinese who visit Thailand. Thailand will become China's Spain. Krabi, Phuket, ? could actually become Chinese beach resorts.

• Like 2

we will favour all cities in Thai where you can't find any single of this QUALITY TOURISTS FROM CH MAINLAND,

so patpong, soi nana, cowboy are full of this Chi tourists !! 55555

TAT previously told a drop on arrivals of only 5 - 7 percent,

in december Januar, more than 10% up,

but now we hear figiures were down more tha 45% !!

and now !!! Hurrra !! BIG influx of Q customers !

30% , 40% , 50% .... till end of year 100 % up !

( same time 90% westernes are gone !!! )

• Like 1

Good. I hope millions come every month. A year with the locust people and everyone else will look good.

Happy days are here again. Hard to believe some of these comments on tourism. China is having financial problems like the rest of the world.

Would be interesting to see a statistic of the net profit for Thai economy per visitor and nationality and also the sum total per nationality

Then Google it sweatalot instead of trying to slur them----because they spend a lot more then you. In fact they spend a lot more than most tourists, its just that they don't spend it sitting in a bar....or sending money for a sick buffalo.

You can Google it---or you can sit there with your 65 Baht Beer telling the world how Thailand will miss the likes of you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22037233 Chinese tourists now biggest source of travel spending China as a nation now spends more than any other on tourism The Chinese have become the single biggest source of global tourism income after spending $102bn (£67bn; 79bn euros) while travelling abroad in 2012.

The total is 40% higher than the year before, and puts them well above the next two highest-spending countries, Germany and the US.

USA

For now, many countries are reaping the benefits. According to Brand USA, a tourism initiative launched by the American government, the average Chinese tourist spent $5,400 during their trip to the U.S., outspending other international tourists by 21 percent.

I'd take the Chinese over the Russians any damn day.

I'll take people that behave themselves everyday, particularly those that are open minded, tolerant and civil.

The damn often misguides and holds back the river of the written word.

I took some visitors to the Grand Palace last week. I have never seen so many people there... ever. The crush to exit the compound was like leaving a stadium after a big game, with just two soldiers trying to get people to exit and enter through the same gate in an orderly fashion. The majority were Chinese tour groups and I'm sorry to say, a number of them lived up to the stereotype with their disregard for other tourists. Someone is going to get an eye poked out soon with all the umbrellas they wield.

Edited by kkerry
  • Like 1

Cheap Charlie from China will need to come in vast numbers to spend the same amount of money that far fewer European tourists used to spend, so all they will end up with is a country full of people but not much money to show for it. Still; the idiots who pump numbers out will love it.

• Like 2

Sorry, the Chinese have found Issan. In Nong Khai a couple of weeks ago I saw 2 vehicles with Chinese license plates, saw one more since. Yes, not much but I've never seen before and neither had any of the other expats. Talking with Lao people, they literally hate the Chinese. Lao is owned by the Chinese. A lot of the big expensive cars we see over here in Udon/Nong Khai with Lao plates are actually owned by Chinese. They have all those "teenagers" the Thai government is stopping from being "exploited" in Thailand. Perhaps that "stopping" is to help the Chinese exploite a few more, after all, dear leader has climbed in bed with the Chinese. If there were 4 letter expletives in the Lao language I'm sure I would have heard them all in a 15 minute conversation. At the rate dear leader is going Thailand will soon be another satellite of China as is Lao.

And we will find out next week that this was all shit, at the moment, only the Chinese want to come here in droves, because their brains think a like with the Thai, the only difference I can see with the Chinese compared to the Thai's is, the Chinese women don't like to shave 5555

Edited by cookee68

Would be interesting to see a statistic of the net profit for Thai economy per visitor and nationality and also the sum total per nationality

Yes I was wondering if the word 'boom' simply meant an increase in numbers.... might be something to do with free visas and Chinese New year.

The crowds might well be filling up the cheap hotels and shopping Malls, but I struggle to associate a tropical paradise with a mass of heaving bodies pushing and spitting their way down the road towards their coaches which are blocking all the traffic. Even tolerant Thais are complaining about them.

Edited by jacko45k