Museum on Changklan

northernjohn

I was at the museum on Changklan yesterday. It was fantastic.

Before you jump in on the cost. Yes it was a double price. It cost me 600 baht and the Thais with me 200 baht. I don't care it was still worth it to me. Maybe not others.

I am not a big fan of art but they did things with it that I would never have dreamed possible. Also they had places for to take your picture that would give you a different perspective. Over all I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it to all. If you have a Thai drivers license it is Thai cost.

Would I go back. No not at that cost but if some one was to pay my way I would. Also depends on who the visitors are. I am not one bit sorry I went and a little sorry I hadn't gone sooner.

This is the Art in Paradise 3D Art Museum?

Sorry I don't know the name. It could well be called that. It had me completely fooled a couple of times and some of the photos we took would completely fool you.

It is located on the East side of Changklan in between the Night Bazaar and the Empress hotel. Would be nice if some one could confirm the name.

Its name is Art in Paradise (or Art in Paradise Chiang Mai); however, it's not called a museum as it isn't one. Illusion or 3D art is what it's all about and I agree that it's worth a visit. I went about a year ago and don't remember that the cost was 600 baht (but maybe it was or I used my Thai driver's license, don't remember). It's located on a corner on the East side of Chang Klan between the Shangrila Hotel and the Empress Hotel.

Its name is Art in Paradise (or Art in Paradise Chiang Mai); however, it's not called a museum as it isn't one. Illusion or 3D art is what it's all about and I agree that it's worth a visit. I went about a year ago and don't remember that the cost was 600 baht (but maybe it was or I used my Thai driver's license, don't remember). It's located on a corner on the East side of Chang Klan between the Shangrila Hotel and the Empress Hotel.

If you have a Thai driver's license, you get a discount. I think it brought it down to 300 or 400 baht. Well worth it.

David

I guess Taiwanese look a bit like Thais as our 2 guests were there for 4 hours on Sunday for THB300 each for as long as they wanted to be during opening hours.

Very impressed and did not have time to see all of it.

If you have a Thai driver's license, you get a discount. I think it brought it down to 300 or 400 baht. Well worth it.

I took some family members (I had been there before) and let the sales person know in Thai, which also resulted in the Thai price for me.

I did similar in Siam Ocean World, though there they asked to see my bank card (which I had), which was ironic, because the first time I went (with a Thai), I had to insist on paying the foreigner price (I generally don’t have a problem with the foreigner price, though when I only go as a guide for others, I think it’s fair I get the local price).

I'd heard the major point of the "museum" was for Chinese tourists to take photos to post on their version of Facebook, but reading about some TV people liking it, makes me reconsider. Seems like a nice indoor, aircon outing for this time of year.

Time to bring out the TDL. Got one, even though I don't drive. Those little pandas in the lower right corner are just so cute and it's handy to have your address written out in Thai on the back. (The pandas are just for those of us lucky enough to live in CM province.)

Thanks for the info NJ and if you got your 600 baht's worth that's all that matters.

It's a place I haven't tried, but maybe next month when my daughter comes over (she will pay anyway) laugh.png

You won't regret it.

I was lucky enough to have y son there to take a few of the pictures. It takes some direction to get the perspective rite on a couple of them. The wife just takes the picture and has no idea about perspective. Yes it was worth the 600 baht to me. I sincerely hope you and your daughter enjoy it as I and the Grandchildren along with my wife and my son did. He also had to pay the tourist price.

Time to bring out the TDL. Got one, even though I don't drive. Those little pandas in the lower right corner are just so cute and it's handy to have your address written out in Thai on the back. (The pandas are just for those of us lucky enough to live in CM province.)

Yo Nancy....could you translate that in English? What's a TDL? And what little pandas in what corner where? Address written where?

Yo Nancy....could you translate that in English? What's a TDL? And what little pandas in what corner where? Address written where?

TDL = Thai Driving License.

The pandas are a little picture on the lower right hand front corner of the license. Address is written, in Thai, on the back.

David

Wow, what a nice history lesson about the building. Good to know it wasn't new construction, but repurposing of an existing building -- one that could be considered historic. I really wish they'd do more urban redevelopment in Chiang Mai, instead of just abandoning buildings, and building new on ever-expanding ring roads.. All the more reason to check out the 3D "Museum".

My mistake.

It was 300 baht per Farong. I just paid a lot of money and assumed the 600 baht had been for me and anther 600 for my son and the Thaïs were cheap. My son straightened the old man out today about the price.

Well worth the money spent.

the building originally housed the first department store in Chiang Mai. After Airport Plaza opened it suffered, became run-down but persevered for around another 12 years before the conversion.

It was a department store (Srisuan Plaza) but wouldn't the first department store have been either Sor Kan Kha (Near Kad Luang, and another one on Chang Klan Rd at the soi where the mosque is), or possibly Tantraphan on Maneenopparat Road?

As for double pricing, I don't like it. There are plenty ways of giving a discount to locals that are a lot less blatant. I went to a big attraction park in Hua Hin and everyone pays the same (and it's not cheap either at 1000 baht, 600 baht children), however a discount applies with just about any local credit card, and for Truevision subscribers, etc. So that catches just about any middle class Thai person, as well as most foreign expats. But not tourists fresh off the beach. I think that works a lot better as a concept. Oh and 90+ percent of the visitors were Thai, of course.

Especially when first establishing an attraction I think it's incredibly negative and counterproductive to have a double pricing scam going on. For example the Haunted House attraction on Chang Klan Road.. Was interested in going, even emailed them and was making plans to take the kids (and then spread the pictures/word on Facebook, etc.). But... double pricing. So I never went.

the building originally housed the first department store in Chiang Mai. After Airport Plaza opened it suffered, became run-down but persevered for around another 12 years before the conversion.

It was a department store (Srisuan Plaza) but wouldn't the first department store have been either Sor Kan Kha (Near Kad Luang, and another one on Chang Klan Rd at the soi where the mosque is), or possibly Tantraphan on Maneenopparat Road?

As for double pricing, I don't like it. There are plenty ways of giving a discount to locals that are a lot less blatant. I went to a big attraction park in Hua Hin and everyone pays the same (and it's not cheap either at 1000 baht, 600 baht children), however a discount applies with just about any local credit card, and for Truevision subscribers, etc. So that catches just about any middle class Thai person, as well as most foreign expats. But not tourists fresh off the beach. I think that works a lot better as a concept. Oh and 90+ percent of the visitors were Thai, of course.

Especially when first establishing an attraction I think it's incredibly negative and counterproductive to have a double pricing scam going on. For example the Haunted House attraction on Chang Klan Road.. Was interested in going, even emailed them and was making plans to take the kids (and then spread the pictures/word on Facebook, etc.). But... double pricing. So I never went.

Shame on you

• 9 months later...

Before you jump in on the cost. Yes it was a double price. It cost me 600 baht and the Thais with me 200 baht. I don't care it was still worth it to me. Maybe not others.

I am not a big fan of art but they did things with it that I would never have dreamed possible. Also they had places for to take your picture that would give you a different perspective. Over all I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it to all. If you have a Thai drivers license it is Thai cost.

Would I go back. No not at that cost but if some one was to pay my way I would. Also depends on who the visitors are. I am not one bit sorry I went and a little sorry I hadn't gone sooner.

"I am not a big fan of art" deep. I real contribution to humanity

"I am not a big fan of art" deep. I real contribution to humanity

Whatever that contribution may be, intelligibility apparently plays little part in it.

Archived