Microsoft finally kills off Internet Explorer

thai tech

Microsoft finally kills off Internet Explorer

Microsoft-Spartan-Slider-Pic-702x336.jpg

Internet Explorer used to be a cutting edge browser that influenced how everyone accessed the Internet. But those times are long gone.

Many people in fact hated Internet Explorer after many years of poor development, and in the meantime browsers like Firefox and Chrome began to offer better features, becoming much more popular.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/microsoft-ditches-internet-explorer/7204/

Or said another way, let's change some menus, settings, and themes in IE and then also rename it Spartan. That should fool about 99% of consumers into thinking Spartan is a new, lean, mean, and strong browser.

Or said another way, let's change some menus, settings, and themes in IE and then also rename it Spartan. That should fool about 99% of consumers into thinking Spartan is a new, lean, mean, and strong browser.

No, they've stated that there will be no legacy IE code in Project Spartan.

More to the point they will not kill off IE, especially for Enterprises, because there are too many using it.

Phew good news is The current code-named Spartan browser that will be released on Windows 10 will not be available through Microsoft on Windows 7.

I think that's because they want to avoid fragmentation. That's why they are offering free upgrades to Win 10.

Phew good news is The current code-named Spartan browser that will be released on Windows 10 will not be available through Microsoft on Windows 7.

I think that's because they want to avoid fragmentation. That's why they are offering free upgrades to Win 10.

Chicog any idea when that is likely to start?

Can I trade my Miao Noi in for two more years support for Windows 7? cheesy.gif

More to the point they will not kill off IE, especially for Enterprises, because there are too many using it.

"... because there are too many using it."

But their market share has certainly been shrinking. I thought they killed Hotmail at one point. I switched to Gmail, but my Hotmail accounts are still working.

desktopbrowserapril.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

Until they actually use it!!! rolleyes.gif

Bbut i like ie it has my favourites where i'm used to seeing them not like other browsers,but hey i'll try spartan but have a weird feeling that it not for me being old and not liking change.

I used to think that, but I use Chrome with the "Neater Bookmarks" extension - try it....

I don't remember IE ever being cutting edge. Netscape was always better in the early days. The only thing IE is good for is for installing other browsers on a new PC.

Not that anyone cares about this anymore but I do remember the dark ages of Netscape when IE beat them. A lot of it was due to feature creep and bad code in Netscape, really, where Netscape sort of collapsed under years of added-on hacks and features, turning it into a buggy behemoth. IE came along and was faster and better.

Once IE "won", Microsoft got lazy and stopped improving it and it went down the drain.

Mac was similar, IE on Mac was the only decent browser for a year or two, after Netscape imploded.

"... because there are too many using it."

But their market share has certainly been shrinking. I thought they killed Hotmail at one point. I switched to Gmail, but my Hotmail accounts are still working.

They didn't kill it, they moved it to the Live.com platform.

I don't remember IE ever being cutting edge. Netscape was always better in the early days. The only thing IE is good for is for installing other browsers on a new PC.

How can you say that? IE is responsible for jump-starting the entire Security Suite industry.

IE 3 was absolutely mind-blowing. Way ahead of Netscape at the time.

I still remember the first time I used it and thinking "this is forking A" (which is an expression I think I'd never used before in my life and haven't ever used since.)

It had support for CSS, Java Applets, ActiveX which the competition didn't have at the time. It also looked (by the standards of the time) really, really good.

OK, Java applets have fallen out of fashion, and ActiveX is an abomination, but at the time they seemed revolutionary.

Really, it's only after IE6 was released, when Microsoft did nothing for years and years, that IE started looking hopelessly regressive.