Childhood. .Can you remember? A U.K. orientated topic

siampolee

I remember the Milkman delivered Eggs and Orange juice too.

The Butcher's where I worked as a boy after school wrapped everything in white paper.

The Butchers Bike with the basket on the front for my deliveries.

The really heavy (usually 2) paperboy sack on Sunday's

When the street lights came on, it was time to go home.

Steak&Kidney pie & chips, can of coke was 1-/6d

Green shield stamps !

attachicon.gif220px-Green_Shield_stamp.jpg

And the Coalman ! delivering bags of coal and string tied firewood.

Shuddup Arkwright! :D

Nostalgia rules.

Blackjacks four a penny, the same as Fruit Salads. Before chain stores, shop owners knew every customer personally.

At school, our headmaster would give us a choice, be caned with a snooker cue or run round the courtyard 50 times.

Most opted for the caning- only took a few seconds and you had the bruises to show off to your friends.

At my school, 7 to 12 years old, we had everything- tree dens, underground dens, log cabins, there was no concern about safety, boys would climb up 50, 70, feet in beech trees, I don't recall anyone ever falling off.

We even had a hitch hiking competition, in pairs, who could hitchhike the furthest from the school in 8 hours, starting 6.00 am.We were aged 11, had to make a reverse charge phone call to prove where we had ended up after 8 hours. Lots of fun!

• Like 2

Nostalgia rules.

Blackjacks four a penny, the same as Fruit Salads. Before chain stores, shop owners knew every customer personally.

At school, our headmaster would give us a choice, be caned with a snooker cue or run round the courtyard 50 times.

Most opted for the caning- only took a few seconds and you had the bruises to show off to your friends.

At my school, 7 to 12 years old, we had everything- tree dens, underground dens, log cabins, there was no concern about safety, boys would climb up 50, 70, feet in beech trees, I don't recall anyone ever falling off.

We even had a hitch hiking competition, in pairs, who could hitchhike the furthest from the school in 8 hours, starting 6.00 am.We were aged 11, had to make a reverse charge phone call to prove where we had ended up after 8 hours. Lots of fun!

A golliwog on the Marmalade jar.

Jeez, you're right, and there was another marmalade jar, fat with a sweet green marmalade, what was the name?

Toy cigarettes- and the real ones- mum and dad would smoke Embassy, I remember reading the catalogues, full of household appliances- ' keep puffing, we'll soon have enough coupons for a dishwasher, Mum'.

Nostalgia rules.

Jeez, you're right, and there was another marmalade jar, fat with a sweet green marmalade, what was the name?

Toy cigarettes- and the real ones- mum and dad would smoke Embassy, I remember reading the catalogues, full of household appliances- ' keep puffing, we'll soon have enough coupons for a dishwasher, Mum'.

My mum smoked herself to death for a new kettle!!!

Best street game was "kick the can"

Place a can in the middle of the road, all go hide n seek style, first one to get back and kick the can without getting caught.

Germans! was the other one, run from the road and hiding over the edge of the bank not to get caught in the headlights of the "Germans" (any vehicle that came)

Riding country lanes on the bikes, checking all the A or B buttons in the telephone boxes for pennies.

post-109645-0-53174200-1426687984_thumb.

• Like 2

Place a can in the middle of the road, all go hide n seek style, first one to get back and kick the can without getting caught.

Germans! was the other one, run from the road and hiding over the edge of the bank not to get caught in the headlights of the "Germans" (any vehicle that came)

Riding country lanes on the bikes, checking all the A or B buttons in the telephone boxes for pennies.

attachicon.gifbutton-b.jpg

In our comics the Germans were all Huns. Did you ever read about Captain Hurricane and Batman Malone? Every week he single-handedly killed hundreds of barbaric Germans- actung! and fearless Japanese fighters banzai!-

Batman Malone was useless though!

attachicon.gifbutton-b.jpg

In our comics the Germans were all Huns. Did you ever read about Captain Hurricane and Batman Malone? Every week he single-handedly killed hundreds of barbaric Germans- actung! and fearless Japanese fighters banzai!-

Batman Malone was useless though!

Maggot Malone.

Same same no different in Greece.

Don't know if I prefer those good old days or todays way of living.

At least we had trust to each other and respect for the elders.

Anyway.....it's called progress.......we have to go along.

"At least we had trust to each other and respect for the elders."

Quotation-Jorge-Luis-Borges-memory-Meetv

Marko kokprong post # 45

Or on the Strawberry jam jar.

Which later in its life the now devoid of jam jar would be used to keep tiddlers in.

1650631.jpg

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Here is a picture of my village primary school which I started at in 1949.

239_wr82qnn78s.jpg

Later on into Grammar school see picture No. 2 below.

Two old boys of note .The infamous regicide Oliver Cromwell. However we could and indeed did boast about our most illustrious old boy ,Samuel Pepys

housex.jpg

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Here is a picture of my village primary school which I started at in 1949.

239_wr82qnn78s.jpg

Later on into Grammar school see picture No. 2 below.

Two old boys of note .The infamous regicide Oliver Cromwell. However we could and indeed did boast about our most illustrious old boy ,Samuel Pepys

This was my primary school. My desk (complete with inkwell) was inside that large window. There was a pic from the other angle I could've used - but it shows solar panels on the roof!

BTW, this is the Woolsthorpe in Victoria ... not the one near Nottingham.

post-164009-0-17554200-1426749197_thumb.

Playing in the street without the fear of someone abducting & killing you,

Getting rope & all friends tying bikes together & pulling each other - dangerous.

Unigate milk as opposed to Neville & Griffin.

I grew up on the 70's, great days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1