Childhood. .Can you remember? A U.K. orientated topic

siampolee

Sorry Charlie didn't realise it should have been posted there or here.

Many thanks to you and your lads for the removal job,clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

_47893433_brookesremova.jpg

Edited by siampolee

nzexpat post #2

Many "Chippies" also sold alternatives to fish such as Sausage ( battered) , Faggots, Pies and Mushy Peas!

Not in the 1950's those innovations came in around the early to mid 1960's

In my young days we still had ration books.sad.png

rationbks.jpg

• Like 1

Aye,i remember waking up in morning to scrape ice off inside of windows,then mum would yell"get yourselves down ere,this coal won't wash itself',raw onion for breakfast,then ten mile hike over moors to school,watery soup,or fatty beef for lunch,hike back,to find front step 1 inch lower ,as grandma had been scrubbing it all day,rabbit stew fer tea[small rabbits with long tails],then clean more coal before off to bed,under the old horsehair blankets,oh they were the days.

• Like 2

I was thinking about this yesterday on another thread about "facebook".

Travelling was a nightmare:

35mm Kodachrome64 film in a lead-lined bag. Kept in the cool during the Summer and in your sleeping bag on frosty nights. Developed at the "1 hour express shop" that took on average 4 hours and half a weeks wages to develop. Then you threw half them out because they were out of focus or the lighting was wrong.

Waiting for hours on end at the post office to collect your mail and post a few postcards back home.

Waiting at the phone-booth with a fist full of 10 baht coins to phone home, once a month.

Carrying a "walkman" and your favorite cassettes with giant headphones to listen to music occasionally (until the tape got chewed up)

Forever buying batteries. For the flash, for the camera, for the tape player, for whatever else.

Carrying a small library in travel guides and maps.

Keeping a written diary the size of an encyclopedia with a calendar and pages for contacts. And running out of ink.

Carrying a wallet full of cash notes, and some travelers checks in your money-belt. (no credit cards)

If you were real savvy: Had a video camera the size of a toddler, a calculator, a watch with an alarm, etc etc....

Give me a smart-phone and facebook any day.

Edited by sipi

Well here's one of my playthings on the right in the image circa 1957 is.Wish I still had it. It was linked to my Meccano and Trix kit models, worked well as I recall.

Mamod_Minor_No2_and_SE2_Steam_Engines_(M

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Well here's one of my playthings on the right in the image circa 1957 is.Wish I still had it. It was linked to my Meccano and Trix kit models, worked well as I recall.

Mamod_Minor_No2_and_SE2_Steam_Engines_(M

I have mine on a shelf. Still works.

Edited by sipi
  • Like 2

Well the French still don't have fast food that's why they eat snails biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77vtPJZQ

Nonsense!

There was a McDonalds' on the Boulevard St.Michel in 1974.

They were up to speed even in those days.

Hit the wrong nerve ?

this suppose to be a joke "understand"

Your act is really coming along,how long until standup?

Fast-food where I was a boy, meant biscuits which were weighed-out in the shop from the tin they came in, into a paper-bag !

But in our household we could only afford broken-biscuits, which were a real lucky-dip ! rolleyes.gif

Things to see on the street in the 60's.

Lemonade vans.

Ice-cream vans (Toni-Bell).

Rag and bone men with a horse and cart.

Frenchmen on push-bikes covered with onions for sale.

Women scrubbing their front-door steps.

Policemen walking their beat armed with only a trunchion.

• Like 1