living in bali on the cheap

cheynewalk

OP, thank you for the information.

Sounds good to me.

The only thing you omitted writing about is the girls.

What about a young man of 68 like me, will I have the opportunity to meet plenty of young ladies, like here in Thailand?

Very important information and I'm waiting for your answer before I book my ticket.

• Like 1

Hi costas, yes plenty of young ladies, but like all things in life they come at a price. As a general rule here in bali for a casual fling stick with the javanese girls, for something more serious go for the local balinese ladies. Unfortunately, many of the javanese girls over here are on the make, unless they're working in some professional capacity.

If you want the "good" javanese girls go to java.

• Like 1

you can get a simple tiny room (or rather "bedspace") in a KOST in Denpasar for 500.000 Rupiah a month - roughly 35 Euro now as the Euro is so low. Fan only, no AC. No need to spend 150$ on a LUXURY ROOM in Sanur ;-)

Edited by siam2007
  • Like 1

Sounds good to me.

What about a young man of 68 like me, will I have the opportunity to meet plenty of young ladies, like here in Thailand?

Very important information and I'm waiting for your answer before I book my ticket.

I taught You were happily married and faithful,...Costas...!!!???

Wow that sounds interesting.

Bali is in my bucket list.

I know a Danish couple that used to come to Thailand a lot but the last 3 times them skipped it and went to Bali instead and stay app 4 weeks each time.

They live in a guest house resort up in the mountains somewhere also run by a Danish guy and they love it there.

Sounds good to me.

I taught You were happily married and faithful,...Costas...!!!???

cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

Think there are plenty of choices out there besides Thailand. Heard visas are a in breeze there too. Back in Cambodia, there are tons who have left Thailand. Not sure what was on the junta's mind when it closed the door. It was not economics are good faith.

The isis threat all throughout Indonesia is real, and in time, we will see terrorists commit crimes involving heavy loss of life and casualty. They blew Bali up once, and it was done by somewhat amatures. Times have changed, threats are more real, the means by which threats can be acted upon are much more sophisticated, and it is only a matter of time before another bomb goes off, or a westeners head is cut off in the streats of Indonesia. It is a muslim country, and they have many numbers of citizens that have taken up arms and are fighting for Isis. It may be a great destination for two or three years, but we will see a huge swing of indoctrinted Jihad movement in the not too distant future. At least in Thailand, at this point, I dont have much to fear other than my wifes constant nagging.

• Like 2

The only Gourmet diving into the Indonesian cuisine are the Kamikaze ones.

The Thai Visa Forum Members should know better. Or what is wrong with them.

Thai Food is one of the best , "if not the best" in Asia.

Just visit a local Indo Market where you can find half rotten meats next to 3 quarter rotten, limp vegetable that looks like left overs from Chernobyl and all that heavily over priced, while imported Fruits, Vegetables and Meat is superior, sometimes even cheaper until the Morons in charge of the various Ministries slap hefty duty on top or simply deny import.

How does the Visa situation compared to Thailand in terms of those wanting to stay long-term? And are the Indonesian immigration authorities any easier to deal with than Thailand?

You can get a one year visa from Indonesia embassy anywhere outside Indonesia. Renewable every year for 5 years in Bali, then can apply for permanent residence. Highway Bali in Ubud will do everything for you, cost used to be 6,000,000 Rupiah ( about 20,000 to the £) some years ago.

• Like 1

The isis threat all throughout Indonesia is real, and in time, we will see terrorists commit crimes involving heavy loss of life and casualty. They blew Bali up once, and it was done by somewhat amatures. Times have changed, threats are more real, the means by which threats can be acted upon are much more sophisticated, and it is only a matter of time before another bomb goes off, or a westeners head is cut off in the streats of Indonesia. It is a muslim country, and they have many numbers of citizens that have taken up arms and are fighting for Isis. It may be a great destination for two or three years, but we will see a huge swing of indoctrinted Jihad movement in the not too distant future. At least in Thailand, at this point, I dont have much to fear other than my wifes constant nagging.

The post is about Bali, not the rest of Indonesia which is vast in comparison. Bali is not predominantly muslim but Hindu. There are more muslims in Thailand than in Bali and certainly many more in most western countries.

• Like 1

Wow that sounds interesting.

Bali is in my bucket list.

I know a Danish couple that used to come to Thailand a lot but the last 3 times them skipped it and went to Bali instead and stay app 4 weeks each time.

They live in a guest house resort up in the mountains somewhere also run by a Danish guy and they love it there.

Wonderful, my big mistake was choosing Thailand over Bali.

• Like 1

Hard to believe, but Indonesians are even more money-focused than Thais. Try renting a house long-term there - one year's rental up front, thank you.

Too close to the Equator, 99% Muslim, a Javanese aristocracy with an empire complex trying to stitch 14,000 islands together as a unit. The term

"Bali belly" is not an oxymoron. Immediate evacuation mandatory for any serious illness.

I'll stick with Thailand, thank you.

Most Balinese in fact are Hindu, not Muslim as you state. Very different from Indian Hindu as Indians and Balinese would agree.

The Balinese smile I found to be warm and genuine and the people have far better manners than Thais and are extremely friendly. I always felt perfectly safe walking down dark narrow streets at night, in fact I have never in all my extensive travels felt as safe as I felt in Bali. I can not speak for the rest of the mainly muslim Indonesia as I have only lived in Bali. God's garden.

Fair enough, you like it there - too bloody hot for me. So the Bali bombings were just the Muslim minority. Presumably you also live well away from the main tourist area, which due to overdevelopment during the Soeharto years is floating on an underground lake of sewage.

I'm not sure why some falangs have problems with Thai manners and friendliness - perhaps it's because the falang is treating the Thais with disrespect, and they are reciprocating.

• Like 2

The post is about Bali, not the rest of Indonesia which is vast in comparison. Bali is not predominantly muslim but Hindu. There are more muslims in Thailand than in Bali and certainly many more in most western countries.

Yes, understand that, but the bombs that were planted and detonated in the sari club and surrounds were planted by radical Muslims if you remember rightly. The ability to infiltrate, and if in the fact of a radicalised Jihad, Bali could be swarmed with tourist killing terrorists within hours. Not saying it will happen, just saying that there is a highly condensed Muslim epicentre just a short boat trip away from the island. They could set off a raft of terrorist attacks, closely co-ordinated against westerners and cause mass destruction within hours. Our world is changing, religions are radicalising people, and the rise of the caliphate is becoming more real each day. Would you know the difference between a Muslim Indonesian and a Hindu Indonesian if they were sitting behind you in a restaurant with a carving knife devouring a steak?

Yes, understand that, but the bombs that were planted and detonated in the sari club and surrounds were planted by radical Muslims if you remember rightly. The ability to infiltrate, and if in the fact of a radicalised Jihad, Bali could be swarmed with tourist killing terrorists within hours. Not saying it will happen, just saying that there is a highly condensed Muslim epicentre just a short boat trip away from the island. They could set off a raft of terrorist attacks, closely co-ordinated against westerners and cause mass destruction within hours. Our world is changing, religions are radicalising people, and the rise of the caliphate is becoming more real each day. Would you know the difference between a Muslim Indonesian and a Hindu Indonesian if they were sitting behind you in a restaurant with a carving knife devouring a steak?

If they were sat there with a carving knife devouring a steak then I'd be pretty sure that it wasn't a Hindu Indonesian (Think about it :)) Edited by JB300
  • Like 2

I have the feeling the central premise of the OP is flawed. That is, Bali is as cheap as Thailand. Possibly true if you are financially challenged to the point of licking up ants off the floor for sustenance. However, a price comparison a bit further up the tree is different.

I live in a fully furnished condo in Chiang Mai, aircon and swimming pool. In Australian dollars, I pay $4000 a year in quarterly instalments. There is no security deposit.

The nearest equivalent in Bali I can find, browsing through the real estate pages, is north of $10,000 a year with payment of a years' rental up front. Unfurnished.

Similarly, you can rent a 2 bedroom house in Chiang Mai for $4000 - $6000 a year, security deposit 2 months rental, 1 year contract. A similar deal in Bali is not less than $10,000 a year, one year's rental up front. Some of the rentals in Bali specify a 10 year contract.

Maybe it's paradise, but it comes at a price.

For anybody interested in a trip to Bali, it looks like they're going to extend the Visa waiver to many (30) more countries soon http://m.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/03/17/new-visa-policy-aid-rupiah.html (notably Australia isn't one of them).

It's not so much the $35USD I mind, it's more the queues & the fact that it takes up 1/2 (used to be a full) page in your passport.

Edited by JB300

Bali seems like a nice place in many ways. I am someone who likes the huge waves, refreshing breeze and wide swaths of beach, never cared for the beach experience in Thailand that much. I have always had a fascination with undersea life and Bali really has that in spades. I am also much interested in myth and religions and that is all over the place in Bali. Balinese seemed less aggressive than our new 21st century Bangkok-Pattaya-Phuket Thai of today, but I have no insight into the reality of the general pleasantness of most Balinese. If you are just in Thailand for the girls, and being married to one, I guess I am too, maybe Thailand is better, but I found that there is much mutual interest in Indonesia in western men so If there are other things about Bali that you like more, I don't think you will by pining for your girlfriends back in Thailand.

But, Having lived and worked in Jakarta for a good long stretch, I well know the Kafka-esque and frankly vaguely terrifying modus operandi of the Indonesian government and their quite active and meddlesome officials and that goes for other people whom you have to entrust in Indonesia such as landlords or employers or business partners. There is serious nonsense that goes on there which is like Thailand on bad steroids. There are people who seem to have a passion for messing with others and there is so much chaos and disorganization coupled with greed that there is much scope for things to go seriously wrong. Thailand seems difficult on a rather petty level by comparison.

All that is talking about Jakarta though, but I don't know why Bali would be any different and particularly since there are many Javanese in Bali running some stuff if not the whole show, though I don't really know, I have no idea what goes on in Bali. That said, If you gotta go to Bali, then you gotta go, but like Thailand, you want to exercise caution with anything you want to try and get involved with there, probably even more so. If Bali is like Jakarta people with power and position will work you over if you give them half a chance and even if you don't give it to them they may end up taking it anyway. It struck me as being much worse than Thailand in that regard. Terrorists are distant and improbable threat. To me that is not a reason not to relocate to Bali, if only temporarily. Even ISIS and their ilk they are on the rise in Indonesia, you'd have to be very unlucky and/or reckless to fall victim. I'd worry more about rogue officials and unscrupulous people you might have to have dealings with.

^^^ Bali & Jakarta are two completely different places, not least because of the completely different religious & economic (Business Vs Tourist) influences

Edit:Worked in Jakarta for 6 months & loved it, visit Bali a couple of times a year & love it more [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Edited by JB300

Of course Bali and Jakarta are very different, but I don't think you can dismiss the fact that Jakarta runs Indonesia or tries to anyway, that they are part of the same empire run by the Chinese Indonesians and the Javanese. So, in my thinking, I cannot help but think that I ought to be at least wary of encountering some of the same problems I did in Jakarta when weighing the decision to move to Bali.

Yes, there are many aspects of life in Jakarta that I really like too. There is no place like it to be sure. Indonesians generally speaking are more confident articulate and mature than just about any bunch in Asia. I had many fun and interesting times there. Bali seemed quite amazing to myself and my wife who is Thai and also likes the idea of spending a lot of time in Bali.

• Like 1

^^^ I think you'll see the difference between the predominately Hindu/Tourist nature of Bali coming to the fore more when you see how things like the clampdown on 7/11s selling alcohol is (not) enforced there.

Indonesia feels like Malaysia to me, yes it is 1 country but each state/sultan has their own interpretations of the "Rules" (Damn, that sounds a lot like the US :) )

Edited by JB300

Balinese food is decent, not as much to my taste as Thai, but plenty good. Went there perhaps 20 times, lived there a year in Ubud, never got food poisoning. Indonesian Islam in general is much softer more accepting variety. I had Muslim friends there no problem. The bombing of the Sari club was in tourist town of Kuta, which is similar to Pattaya or Phuket. Balinese villages are much more under control of locals due to their village level democrat focus. I would avoid Indonesian hospitals at all costs.... unlike Thailand. Overall I would say Balinese some of most friendly people on the planet, in spite of being loved to death by tourism. They are also quick, clever and creative in a good sense, with fine sense of humor. Very very tight social support structure. I brought my Balinese 'sister" to US one summer after her divorce. She was somewhat lost without all the rituals, socialization, gossip... some of these charges against Indonesia makes me wonder if poster has ever visited...

• Like 1