living in bali on the cheap

cheynewalk

The isis threat all throughout Indonesia is real, and in time, we will see terrorists commit crimes involving heavy loss of life and casualty. They blew Bali up once, and it was done by somewhat amatures. Times have changed, threats are more real, the means by which threats can be acted upon are much more sophisticated, and it is only a matter of time before another bomb goes off, or a westeners head is cut off in the streats of Indonesia. It is a muslim country, and they have many numbers of citizens that have taken up arms and are fighting for Isis. It may be a great destination for two or three years, but we will see a huge swing of indoctrinted Jihad movement in the not too distant future. At least in Thailand, at this point, I dont have much to fear other than my wifes constant nagging.

The post is about Bali, not the rest of Indonesia which is vast in comparison. Bali is not predominantly muslim but Hindu. There are more muslims in Thailand than in Bali and certainly many more in most western countries.

Yes, understand that, but the bombs that were planted and detonated in the sari club and surrounds were planted by radical Muslims if you remember rightly. The ability to infiltrate, and if in the fact of a radicalised Jihad, Bali could be swarmed with tourist killing terrorists within hours. Not saying it will happen, just saying that there is a highly condensed Muslim epicentre just a short boat trip away from the island. They could set off a raft of terrorist attacks, closely co-ordinated against westerners and cause mass destruction within hours. Our world is changing, religions are radicalising people, and the rise of the caliphate is becoming more real each day. Would you know the difference between a Muslim Indonesian and a Hindu Indonesian if they were sitting behind you in a restaurant with a carving knife devouring a steak?

That was 13 years ago....

Good for the OP for posting - it is always good to know options in the area. I live in Thailand but visit Indonesia often (both Bali and Java). No place is perfect - but I do feel that Bali is a much better destination for holiday or living than Koh Samui or Phuket. If you are not a beach person, then Chiang Mai does compare closely with Bali - with each offering a different experience. If you are over 50 and looking to date 20 year-old locals, Thailand is the place for you.

• Like 2

I have the feeling the central premise of the OP is flawed. That is, Bali is as cheap as Thailand. Possibly true if you are financially challenged to the point of licking up ants off the floor for sustenance. However, a price comparison a bit further up the tree is different.

I live in a fully furnished condo in Chiang Mai, aircon and swimming pool. In Australian dollars, I pay $4000 a year in quarterly instalments. There is no security deposit.

The nearest equivalent in Bali I can find, browsing through the real estate pages, is north of $10,000 a year with payment of a years' rental up front. Unfurnished.

Similarly, you can rent a 2 bedroom house in Chiang Mai for $4000 - $6000 a year, security deposit 2 months rental, 1 year contract. A similar deal in Bali is not less than $10,000 a year, one year's rental up front. Some of the rentals in Bali specify a 10 year contract.

Maybe it's paradise, but it comes at a price.

You've been looking and eating in the wrong places. Make friends with Balinese people, they will show you the best places at reasonable prices.

Hi ked,

You mention chiang mai ........ there and bali are my 2 preferred places in SEA!

and within Bali - definitely Ubud is the most magical - glad you share my interests :-)

I have the feeling the central premise of the OP is flawed. That is, Bali is as cheap as Thailand. Possibly true if you are financially challenged to the point of licking up ants off the floor for sustenance. However, a price comparison a bit further up the tree is different.

I live in a fully furnished condo in Chiang Mai, aircon and swimming pool. In Australian dollars, I pay $4000 a year in quarterly instalments. There is no security deposit.

The nearest equivalent in Bali I can find, browsing through the real estate pages, is north of $10,000 a year with payment of a years' rental up front. Unfurnished.

Similarly, you can rent a 2 bedroom house in Chiang Mai for $4000 - $6000 a year, security deposit 2 months rental, 1 year contract. A similar deal in Bali is not less than $10,000 a year, one year's rental up front. Some of the rentals in Bali specify a 10 year contract.

Maybe it's paradise, but it comes at a price.

You've been looking and eating in the wrong places. Make friends with Balinese people, they will show you the best places at reasonable prices.

You may be right. However, unless you have the gift of making friends very rapidly, it's quite possible looking in the wrong place for accommodation is a precursor.

Indonesia is a Muslim country, and the danger of any other religion living there is very real. The Muslims there can get real violent towards Christians. About 10 years ago they went out and killed a lot of Chinese in Java. Do not be mistaken that they accept you, they only need your money not you. Thailand is mainly Buddhist. That is a more peaceful religion. If you are not Muslim, staying in a Muslim country always carries a bigger risk towards you, you will never know when the winds will change and you become the next target due to the fact that you maybe white. Christians are openly procesuted in Indonesia and churches are magnets for bombs at Christmas so much so that they need police protection for masses. Always go to a country with your eyes open and not because it's cheaper by a few dollars, I am sure you are worth a lot more then that.

Indonesia is a Muslim country, and the danger of any other religion living there is very real. The Muslims there can get real violent towards Christians. About 10 years ago they went out and killed a lot of Chinese in Java. Do not be mistaken that they accept you, they only need your money not you. Thailand is mainly Buddhist. That is a more peaceful religion. If you are not Muslim, staying in a Muslim country always carries a bigger risk towards you, you will never know when the winds will change and you become the next target due to the fact that you maybe white. Christians are openly procesuted in Indonesia and churches are magnets for bombs at Christmas so much so that they need police protection for masses. Always go to a country with your eyes open and not because it's cheaper by a few dollars, I am sure you are worth a lot more then that.

Oh dear - What a cretinous opinion, sad really.

• 2 weeks later...

How does the Visa situation compared to Thailand in terms of those wanting to stay long-term? And are the Indonesian immigration authorities any easier to deal with than Thailand?

You can get a one year visa from Indonesia embassy anywhere outside Indonesia. Renewable every year for 5 years in Bali, then can apply for permanent residence. Highway Bali in Ubud will do everything for you, cost used to be 6,000,000 Rupiah ( about 20,000 to the £) some years ago.

you must be referring to a retirement (over 55) or business visa (need letters from sponsoring company). the tourist visa is only valid for 60 days and i would like to know how if unlimited runs are allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Interesting topic.

I`ve never been but considering it for a visit, from Thailand.

Some basic questions.

How is it for getting around, if distance too far to walk, are taxis available most of the time and at a reasonable cost ? ( comparing to Bangkok say )?

It sounds like there would be a good choice of foreign food restaurants, would that include a selection of British, French, Indian & Italian style foods ?

Last question, what would be the ideal location for a first visit, lively, rather than quiet ?

Thanks.smile.png

Edited by seasia