Getting Problems for Frequent Entries

Sorry if this has been covered before, I've tried to RTFF and couldn't find anything on this topic.

I am currently living and working in Singapore and making frequent visits to Thailand for 3-7 days. Recently, I'm being hassled by immigration officers and they are saying there is a new law that requires a visa for people who enter more than six times in six months. I've explained that I live in Singapore and shown my Singapore employment pass. They say I need a visa. If this is the case, I'm happy to get one here in Singapore.

Can someone tell me if (1) they are correct about the six entries in six months is a valid law, and (2) what kind of visa I need for frequent visiting?

Edited by JXXXL

There is no rule or law that limits the number of entries you can do over any amount of time. The 6 entries is only an alert for the immigration officer to check your entries to see if the are in/out entries.

There have been reports of other people being told the same thing but there have been no reports of anybody being denied entry for it.

They can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common reasons are for not having financial proof and/or suspicion of working here.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems I've been flagged for some reason. I haven't been hassled every time, but twice entering Chiang Mai and one in Phuket. Several times entering Bangkok and I've not had a problem. The officer in Chiang Mai said, "maybe you work in Chiang Mai" and told me I need to have a visa to come again. Anyway, I'm not armed with all the documents and will protest next time.

I've been entering Thailand at least 10 times a year for the past 10 years and never had a problem until recently.

^ I've had similar issue at bkk airport coming in from Singapore. Just more fussy on entries & unfortunately not very good at reading the passport stamps or even full print out history or following the immigration guidelines well. most people working here would be spending 2 or 3 months in the country & as little time as possible between not other way round !

whistling.gif This is only a suggestion, I'm not sure it will work, but it is worth the attempt anyhow.

If you are in a similar situation ..... working outside of Thailand, and routinely entering Thailand..... try to get a your company personnel rep to draft you a letter stating your name and that you are an employee of their company that routinely enters and exits Thailand for work or business purposes.

Then , the next time you are in Thailand, have that letter translated into Thai and stamped by the translation service and dated.

Carry this letter with you each time you enter Thailand.

It may not help, but as I said it can't hurt you, and shouldn't cost you more than 1000 Baht at most....quite possibly less.

If you routinely enter Thailand, if nothing else, such a letter might get you recognized and remembered as "that silly Farang who comes here every month or so with the letter".

Once the immigration gets to know you , they may recognize you as "harmless".

At least it's worth a try.

As they say, Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Interesting... I'm in/out of Thailand every 2 weeks (work Viet Nam), like you, I stay for 3-7 days, unlike you, I enter/exit exclusively through Suvarnabhumi and in 7 years haven't once been questioned/required to show any proof of 'anything' let alone employment etc (although I always travel with my Viet Nam residence card).

Travelling on an Australian passport I rarely spend more than 30 seconds in front of the immigration official.

I hope there is no new law otherwise I'm gone...

A friend of mine is a mining engineer who is married to a Thai lady.

He works a defined rota and never spends more than 4 weeks in Thailand. He enters Thailand via Phuket International Airport and has never experienced any difficulty in securing a visa exempt entry. He last entered the country two weeks ago.

Just last Tuesday (17th March) I was stopped for the first time. They said since I have been in and out Thailand for more that 6 time in a certain period of time. (about 10 times of the last 2 months)

I have a business card with a British Company address (and Thai number) and they took some of this data, after that it was no problem. On Monday off to Japan and back on Friday so we will see how that goes..

I guess in addition to the business card I will get a letter from our company to basically state that I am an employee somewhere else than Thailand and that I frequently pass through, by sometimes being in transit for several days (but never more than 30 days).

Lets hope immigration is not reading these posts

It sounds like it might not hurt to have a letter BUT, if the letter states that you are in and out for work or business you can bet you will be sent straight back to Singapore. I was fined, had my tourist visa immediately canceled and told to leave the country at Chaengwattana, the in-country immigration division for the Bangkok area, five years ago or so because i was silly enough to go in and inquire if I could have my tourist visa changed to a work visa without leaving the country. The immigration officer had a fit and yelled at me, "Now you on OVERSTAY!"and that I had effectively cancelled my tourist visa for having admitted to her that I attended a job interview and was hired while on a tourist visa. Anything remotely connected with work and immigration will likely not fly if you are trying to do it on a tourist visa let alone a visa exempt entry stamp if that is what you enter on.

Sounds like you had an official who doesn't make any distinctions between what he is required to do and what you are required to do. I am in and out of the country a lot and it is fairly common to have to deal with officers who are fairly creative and inventive with the "rules" as per their moods and purposes. I'd wager as did the posters above that you probably won't be hassled next time, that it was a one off. They may protest about some other thing in the near future, try and stay informed, keep a cool head and be persistent is all can you do to deal with them. I have found they often will try and test you to see if you are going to be pushover and let them get away with whatever they want to say or do. If you calmly and very patiently stick by your guns you will pass their test and let you off the hook.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman
  • Like 1

Hmmm. I'm at Thai lounge in Changi heading to BKK. I go about once a month myself for last three years and have been questioned only once at BKK. I normally stay for 4 to 5 days and two weeks maximum. The time I was questioned, I had to show my Singapore employment pass and that was that.

If I have issue today, I will report back. I carry USA passport and have APEC card for fast track.

IMA_FARANG, on 19 Mar 2015 - 07:02, said:snapback.png

try to get a your company personnel rep to draft you a letter stating your name and that you are an employee of their company that routinely enters and exits Thailand for work or business purposes.

The above is really not a good idea at all, they would probably turn him around if he didn't have a B visa in his passport .

I was at the Ao Chalong yacht immigration center not long ago and one guy got turned down entry because he had been in and out too many times & got flagged. I don't know if he had a proper visa or not....probably not, just getting the standard one month or whatever on arrival. He was told to report to the main immigration office in Phuket town, so I don't know what finally transpired for his case.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

alt=whistling.gif> This is only a suggestion, I'm not sure it will work, but it is worth the attempt anyhow.

If you are in a similar situation ..... working outside of Thailand, and routinely entering Thailand..... try to get a your company personnel rep to draft you a letter stating your name and that you are an employee of their company that routinely enters and exits Thailand for work or business purposes.

Then , the next time you are in Thailand, have that letter translated into Thai and stamped by the translation service and dated.

Carry this letter with you each time you enter Thailand.

It may not help, but as I said it can't hurt you, and shouldn't cost you more than 1000 Baht at most....quite possibly less.

If you routinely enter Thailand, if nothing else, such a letter might get you recognized and remembered as "that silly Farang who comes here every month or so with the letter".

Once the immigration gets to know you , they may recognize you as "harmless".

At least it's worth a try.

As they say, Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You would need a work permit to do this.

There is no rule or law that limits the number of entries you can do over any amount of time. The 6 entries is only an alert for the immigration officer to check your entries to see if the are in/out entries.

There have been reports of other people being told the same thing but there have been no reports of anybody being denied entry for it.

They can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common reasons are for not having financial proof and/or suspicion of working here.

Sadly, the idea of working in Thailand is rather broad. It use to be attending a non state trade show was considered working. Buying parts and shipping them overseas, which is good for the country, requires a work permit. No reasonable country in the world asks you for a work permit for purchasing that country's product for resale. If China did that, nobody would be allowed in. To exhibit at a non state trade show, you still need a work permit. It is a bizarre, detrimental way of thinking.

Immigration is just shaking people down for money.

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems I've been flagged for some reason. I haven't been hassled every time, but twice entering Chiang Mai and one in Phuket. Several times entering Bangkok and I've not had a problem. The officer in Chiang Mai said, "maybe you work in Chiang Mai" and told me I need to have a visa to come again. Anyway, I'm not armed with all the documents and will protest next time.

I've been entering Thailand at least 10 times a year for the past 10 years and never had a problem until recently.

Try tipping the baggage handler 500bh and see how that works out. Doesn't matter if you only have a carry on. Leave a bottle of water for the officer, after you're cleared. Maybe also a bag of peanuts. I promise you, if you don't show up again for 6 months, they'll remember. Thailand, S.E. Asia , it is heavenly and the faint hearted aren't getting into heaven.

I used to go from NYC into NJ to buy my suits. The radio commericial jingle was, money talks, nobody walks. They sell suits in NYC.

Just had a friend close the doors on an upscale restaurant. In an area of upscale restaurants. My idea was to just back off on the pricing. They closed the doors, day before yesterday. Now he wants to get together with me, ASAP. I'm certainly not the smartest person I know. I married her.

Sadly, the idea of working in Thailand is rather broad. It use to be attending a non state trade show was considered working. Buying parts and shipping them overseas, which is good for the country, requires a work permit. No reasonable country in the world asks you for a work permit for purchasing that country's product for resale. If China did that, nobody would be allowed in. To exhibit at a non state trade show, you still need a work permit. It is a bizarre, detrimental way of thinking.

Immigration is just shaking people down for money.

so much misinformation in this post, where would one start..but in the first instance its not immigration that requires the WP, its the department of labor.

Secondly coming to Thailand to carry out business meetings, and even to purchase product can be done under a Non-imm B visa a WP is not required currently

under trade shows, even if the issue was pushed a temporary work permit valid for two weeks could be had within 24 hours of application and its free...wink.png

So with the above in mind could you point out where "Immigration is just shaking people down for money " ??

further a quick review of china's visa polices indicates an "M" visa is required, and the requirments are no that different from the Thai B visa

Business or Trade Purposes (M visa)

M is a new business visa category from 1st Sept 2013, which is issued to foreigners coming for commercial and trade activities.

and lest not the requirement to work in China requires a person to be issued a "Z" visa which appears to be a little more stringent than Thai WP requirements

• Like 1

but there have been no reports of anybody being denied entry for it.

..this is not correct,

nearly 4 month ago they cancel my visa on arrival stamp at arranyaprathet, because they said, i have been too many times going in and out of the country since nearly a year that time, so they suggested my to come with a proper tourist visa...

..this is not correct,

nearly 4 month ago they cancel my visa on arrival stamp at arranyaprathet, because they said, i have been too many times going in and out of the country since nearly a year that time, so they suggested my to come with a proper tourist visa...

First of all you tried to enter visa exempt entry, not visa on arrival.

The reason can be that you were doing back-to-back entries, or did not had Bt 10,000 to show, or where suspected to work in Thailand. Outside these possibilities, immigration has no legal ground to refuse entry.

Edited by paz

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

..this is not correct,

Are you sure that was a "visa on arrival" that was "cancelled" ?

How much did that "visa" cost and who "cancelled" it ?

..this is not correct,

First of all you tried to enter visa exempt entry, not visa on arrival.

The reason can be that you were doing back-to-back entries, or did not had Bt 10,000 to show, or where suspected to work in Thailand. Outside these possibilities, immigration has no legal ground to refuse entry.

Paz,

here is the rub with that statement " immigration has no legal ground to refuse entry."

all they have to do is "suspect" someone is working illegally, and I stress "suspect" not prove, and they have the legal grounds to refuse entry, and it also very hard for a person to prove they are not working illegally, showing bills, bank statements, carrying cash, while standing at an immigration counter it proves nothing..

With someone who is running in and out of a country all the time, it not unreasonable for immigration anywhere in the world to suspect somebody may be working illegally.

Go and fly into Singapore and see what happens there when a Thai lady turns up at the passport counter and they don't believe she is coming in as a tourist, has the cash, hotel etc...they are taken to a room interviewed and in a lot of cases put back on the plane to Thailand.

Thailand's entry rules are no different

Hmmm. I'm at Thai lounge in Changi heading to BKK. I go about once a month myself for last three years and have been questioned only once at BKK. I normally stay for 4 to 5 days and two weeks maximum. The time I was questioned, I had to show my Singapore employment pass and that was that.

If I have issue today, I will report back. I carry USA passport and have APEC card for fast track.

Can an American get an APEC card? (Genuine question, I looked into it as a Brit & from what I could tell it was limited to APEC citizens, being a Singaporean EP/PR holder didn't qualify). Edited by JB300

Just last Tuesday (17th March) I was stopped for the first time. They said since I have been in and out Thailand for more that 6 time in a certain period of time. (about 10 times of the last 2 months)

I have a business card with a British Company address (and Thai number) and they took some of this data, after that it was no problem. On Monday off to Japan and back on Friday so we will see how that goes..

I guess in addition to the business card I will get a letter from our company to basically state that I am an employee somewhere else than Thailand and that I frequently pass through, by sometimes being in transit for several days (but never more than 30 days).

Lets hope immigration is not reading these posts

Gee wiz. The only problem with this is it sounds like you are getting a hallway pass like in school. Your work is outside the country. Probably good to document that. But having the company then address anything about your personal life and why you go to Thailand just doesn't have a good ring to me.

OP,

Was the immigration officer right?

No. Looking at my circumstances, whhy would you think I may be working in Thailand? Why would I live in hugely expensive Singapore and come to Thailand for short stays to work? Drug dealer? Prostitute? No, I work a very legit job in Singapore.

Edited by JXXXL

OP,

Was the immigration officer right?

No. Looking at my circumstances, whhy would you think I may be working in Thailand? Why would I live in hugely expensive Singapore and come to Thailand for short stays to work? Drug dealer? Prostitute? No, I work a very legit job in Singapore.

Er yes...Singapore is an O&G hub in the region, Thailand has an O&G industry and there are numerous Singapore companies active in Thailand and I know a few people whoa re doing exactly what you suggest your are not doing...based in Singapore and working in Thailand for short periods of time thumbsup.gif

so the Immigration are most likely valid in their questions to you...

..this is not correct,

Did you get a denial of entry stamp. If you did it would state is was under section 12 of the the immigration act.

Did they ask you to present financial poof? I suspect yes and you did not have it. That would be why you were denied entry not for having to many visa exempt entries.