Work permit in probation period

Strickly speaking yes it is, but in reality ( if you are a teaching in schools) it takes some time to get organised. Often teachers come to Thailand on a tourist visa looking for teaching work. When they find work they then need all the paperwork from the school to obtain a Non B (involves waiting for a letter from the education area office), once they have this the schools needs to apply for a teachers licence/ 2 year permit ( involves waiting for the document from Krusapha), once they have this they need to prepare all the paperwork for the work permit. So in fact although it is illegal to work without a permit, teachers often do initially as it usually takes at least 2 months some times longer to get all paperwork completed. T.I.T.

Strickly speaking yes it is, but in reality ( if you are a teaching in schools) it takes some time to get organised. Often teachers come to Thailand on a tourist visa looking for teaching work. When they find work they then need all the paperwork from the school to obtain a Non B (involves waiting for a letter from the education area office), once they have this the schools needs to apply for a teachers licence/ 2 year permit ( involves waiting for the document from Krusapha), once they have this they need to prepare all the paperwork for the work permit. So in fact although it is illegal to work without a permit, teachers often do initially as it usually takes at least 2 months some times longer to get all paperwork completed. T.I.T.

if it takes 2 months to do the paper work , then who ever is doing the paper work doesn't know what they are doing , besides you are talking about teachers, the OP never made any mention of teaching...

Fact is even while on probation a WP is needed, teacher or not..the answer is that simple, no convoluted explanations or rationalization needed

I know he didn't mention anything about teaching that is why i stated ( if you are teaching in schools) !!. Secondly if you had read my post carefully you will note it is not the schools who don't know what they are doing it is all the hoops they have to go through with various papers needed from various education offices. This is what takes the time.

I had a job at one of the govt. sponsored universities. I was hired and then it was, "Well, you know what, it may take some time to get your work permit. Don't worry, you can start work now anyway." I was getting a bit desperate to start, having had a very long stretch without being able to find a decent job, so that over rode any sensibility I might have and I listened to them and started without my papers. After three weeks, I began to feel like the whole thing had been forgotten, I heard nothing about it and when i asked my supervisor it was a sort of, "Why are you asking me, how would I know? Why are you so concerned about something so trifling, anyway?"type discussion.

I did some nosing around and found the person who was supposed to be arranging the work permit, and she says,"Well, you know what, I'm sorry, but I have never done this before and not only that, I haven't even begun because I don't know where to begin.The previous person quit without training me on all of this." Luckily I knew people at another department who were capable of the difficult feat (no sarcasm, I'm serious) of getting their foreign staff work permits. They talked her through the procedure. Though I wonder if the whole thing wouldn't have been completely blown off if I hadn't tried to help.

Long story short, when I got the permit after 6 weeks the supervisor says, "Well, you know what? We can't pay you because we are not allowed to if you had no work permit."Seems to me that was the plan, to drag it out as long as possible. My co-worker who had decided to mind his own business and not say anything while I was struggling with the issue finally admitted that his own start had been a similar crisis and in the end went two months without pay.

So, I wouldn't let being without a permit get too long in the tooth or else you'll be in the same boat as our Burmese friends on the fishing boats, as a kind of defacto slave.

• Like 2

Yea everyone will tell you it is needed from day 1, however it rarely goes like that.

It can take a couple of weeks to get the application all done and approved and that is being generous. Realistically your employer may string it out until he feels confident in his new investment (you).

In my experience immigration (bkk) were quite understanding and let you do your application and not stuff you around. I mean one of the requirements of mine was that you include numerous pictures of yourself in the workplace working.

As long as the application IS being done you should be ok but beware of bosses that string you along and don't provide it. End of probation period is when you say enough is enough and leave.

If you don't even have a contract or a probation period then don't even bother and get the hell out.

In my experience immigration (bkk) were quite understanding and let you do your application and not stuff you around. I mean one of the requirements of mine was that you include numerous pictures of yourself in the workplace working.

I think you mean labour office? That is where Work Permits are issued. Not immigration.