Extending single entry non imm B visa

Hi

I have a single entry non immigrant B visa (valid for 90 days). I am also married to a Thai.

Can I extend my visa for 60 days for the purpose of visiting my wife?

If I can, what documents would I have to provide for immigration?

Thank you.

You can apply for the 60 day extension to visit your wife.

Your wife will need to with you why you apply. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy. copy of your wife' house book registry and ID card.

You may also be asked for proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.

I've just finished at Immigration Division 1 in Bangkok. They definitely don't extend Non Imm B Visas for a period of 60 days for the purpose of visiting your Thai wife.

The best they could offer was a 7 day extension.

That must be a misunderstanding. The 60 day extension is regularly done and can even be done on a visa exempt entry.

Did you bring your wife?

I've just finished at Immigration Division 1 in Bangkok. They definitely don't extend Non Imm B Visas for a period of 60 days for the purpose of visiting your Thai wife.

The best they could offer was a 7 day extension.

Just for reference, here is Case 2.24 extracted from National Police Order 327/2557 which contains the current regulations:

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality:

Permission shall be granted for one time and no more than 60 days.

(1) There must be proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.

Obviously you must be able to prove a legal marriage and produce your wife.

You were given 7 days which is the case when immigration deem that you do not meet the criteriae as laid out in Case 2.24 above:

It didn't get as far as having to prove my marriage. The first thing that was checked was the copy of my passport - when the lady saw my Non Imm B visa it was a No from there.

I realise that not many people go for the Non Imm B + 60 day extension, but in my particular case it would have solved a problem. My wife asked and re-asked the lady examining the documents, but the answer was still No.

The explanation was that as I have a work permit then my reason for stay shouldn't be visiting my wife. I should instead get the necessary documents from the company in order and apply for a 1 year extension of stay instead.

I probably caught the wrong person on the wrong day, but for me at least, on that particular day, the answer was No.

I probably caught the wrong person on the wrong day, but for me at least, on that particular day, the answer was No.

It seems like you did not escalated to a supervisor for a review, or called immigration helpline to confer with them.

Would you have the patience to do that ?

It didn't get as far as having to prove my marriage. The first thing that was checked was the copy of my passport - when the lady saw my Non Imm B visa it was a No from there.

I realise that not many people go for the Non Imm B + 60 day extension, but in my particular case it would have solved a problem. My wife asked and re-asked the lady examining the documents, but the answer was still No.

The explanation was that as I have a work permit then my reason for stay shouldn't be visiting my wife. I should instead get the necessary documents from the company in order and apply for a 1 year extension of stay instead.

You can certainly get a one off Case 2.24 type 60 day extension based on a non immigrant 'b' visa/90 day permission to stay stamp in your passport - have done it myself in the past.

Just because you have a work permit, you are not obliged to get a Case 2.1 extension (working in the kingdom of Thailand), for example, I am on a Case 2.18 extension (Thai Family) with a WP and Thai Tax, etc.

You definitely caught an official making it up as they go along and then not subsequently wanting to lose face (a relatively common problem here in Thailand).

It is true that you may well be eligible for a 2.1 or 2.18 one year extension (assuming you are not a teacher), but this would certainly require quite a lot more paper work to process.

I'm eligible for a one year extension and there is no problem with either my documents or the company's documents.

The problem was that this year Immigration wanted to see original social fund receipts and PND 91, VAT and tax paperwork certified by the tax office. Copies would not do.

The difficulty came from the fact that we were not expecting this additional step, and it can take up to two weeks to get some of these documents from our tax office.

My 90 day visa was going to expire soon, the tax office still didn't have the paperwork ready and I thought the 60 day extension would have been perfect for this situation.