Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

3. 3,832

LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

4. 0

Air India trip report....

5. 9

The Urgency of Addressing Iran’s Nuclear Threat

6. 17

My Topics and comments has moved from the right side over to the left of the page

7. 76

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

8. 8

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

9. 47

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 51

Wine In Checked Baggage

Term deposit being used for my annual renewal have a question.

If I have a term deposit that is up for renewal say the middle of August and I renew it does this have a bearing on "seeded money" for 90 days when I go a month later on September 15th to do my annual immigration renewal. Thanks for any and all replies.

No it does not. But "belt and braces" on this is to simply, ask your bank to provide you with a letter stating your total relationship balance with them, by month, for the three months preceding your visa renewal/extension..

In most cases when a Thai bank fixed account matures and you decide to roll it over into another fixed account you are issued a new account number and passbook. So, when the immigration officer reviews the passbook they will see it starts at the date you opened that new fixed account...that would be day 1 of the seasoning period.

However, if you explain to some immigration officers the money was rolled over from a matured/closed fixed account directly/immediately into a new fixed account to the exact stang by showing them the old/closed passbook and the new passbook they will accept that---I know from personal experience as this occurred with me approx two years ago at Bangkok Immigration. I explained to the immigration officer what had occurred and she said OK. HOWEVER, BUT, it could have easily went the other way based in posts I've read over the years. Like some immigration policies it seems to vary from immigration office to office as to how (or if) they enforce it.

I will not be taking that chance anymore because that one personal experience resulted from me "assuming" the same account number and passbook would be kept for the new fixed account at Bangkok Bank...but when I was handed back the old/cancelled passbook and a new passbook with a new account I almost sh*t myself. Apparently some Thai banks do keep the same account number/passbook when you roll over fixed accounts but I can't give no example of those banks. I now pay much more attention to the maturity date of any fixed account I choose and it's relation to my annual retirement extension of stay application.

• Like 1

In most cases when a Thai bank fixed account matures and you decide to roll it over into another fixed account you are issued a new account number and passbook.

That surely happens with some banks, but not with mine. Both of the ones I currently have TDs with (CIMB and TMB) use one passbook/account number for all TDs and just add a line for each. This is quite convenient for retirement extensions as of course the one book shows a total and a breakdown of duration over the entire life of the account.

That said, it does all boil down to the individual requirements of the particular immigration agent in the particular office you go to. Apparently some will also ask for a bank book showing regular withdrawals for living costs, or credit card ATM withdrawal slips etc.

No it does not. But "belt and braces" on this is to simply, ask your bank to provide you with a letter stating your total relationship balance with them, by month, for the three months preceding your visa renewal/extension..

Sorry to disagree with you but I had the same issue a few moths ago,

My term deposit matured and it is then moved too a normal savings account, I had all paper work, letter from bank, updated bank book everything, no matter same bank same branch, and was told IT'S NOT the same account therefor you will not qualify and will have to make a 2 month extension to qualify for money in same account for 2 months, or three months if this is your first year...

Also as we know different immigration dept have different rulings on just about everything...

Sorry to disagree with you but I had the same issue a few moths ago,

My term deposit matured and it is then moved too a normal savings account, I had all paper work, letter from bank, updated bank book everything, no matter same bank same branch, and was told IT'S NOT the same account therefor you will not qualify and will have to make a 2 month extension to qualify for money in same account for 2 months, or three months if this is your first year...

Also as we know different immigration dept have different rulings on just about everything...

Living in Phuket and knowing the immigration service here I didn't want to take any chances with a knock-back, so I put the money into a "term deposit" account and even when it matured I left it here for another month so that there was no interruption to the deposit period.

Lost a little interest but worth it by saving all the hassle.

• Like 1

I've been down this road without a problem .Just make sure you take the passbooks new and old and when they see the dates co inciding its not a problem.Did the same thing in CM last December.

plus the bank letter for the current account of course.

to cut out all the hastle just take out a term that takes you past your extension date.

That will surely work, but might also cause you to pass up a significantly higher paying, shorter term deposit you really wanted. If so, since the fixed deposits I've had "automatically" rolled over into a 3 month fixed account which didn't change the account number, I just let the money stay into that 3 month fixed account which usually pays around twice what a regular savings account pays until I get my next retirement extension of stay approved. Then I go roll the money over into the best new promotion while keeping my next extension date in mind. Banks seem to always have that "one" promotion that outshines all their other promotions...choices...choices....choices to tempt you.