Tourist Numbers In March 2015

Just take a look at the airports. One hour queues at immigration or 5 minute queues?

Am always astounded at the idea that overall tourist flows can be meaningfully judged by the occasional anecdotal crowd or long wait in the immigration halls. Can't say never, but have rarely encountered that in recent years; 'seems like it was more common years ago back at Don Mueang. Have NEVER - not once - waited an hour, hardly ever even half that. And I frequently arrive with the midnight rush. Have had noticeably longer waits outbound, though not so much recently. Certainly longer waits returning to the U.S.

I guess the OP may be referring to the story yesterday in the Bangkok Post which claimed tourists are now flocking back to Thailand and that tourist arrivals in January increased by 16%, despite the number of Russian visitors declining by 46%.

The story quoted stats from the Department of Transport - http://newdot2.samartmultimedia.com/home/details/11/221/24246 - who claimed that the figures represented "international tourist arrivals".

However, I'd bet that these stats probably only refer to international arrivals - rather than them being actual 'tourists' - which would be quite different. The stats put out by the Department of Tourism could also include business travellers or those transiting through Suvarnabhumi.

You only have to look around the popular tourist spots and read reports in other sections of this forum about just how quiet it is in places like Phuket and Pattaya currently. It's hardly a case of tourists flocking back.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Mark Twain

I have just read the posts about less tourists everywhere and then went down to latest news, editor's pick, about jam packed Maya Bay..attachicon.gifMaya Bay.jpg

what a mess! After one look at that who in their right mind would want to go there.

That area was beautiful 20 years ago when tourist numbers were around 12 million or less. Now less farang than before but sooooo many more Chinese and Indians. The island beaches just off Pattaya are the same, wall to wall people. The tour groups are pushing the high end tourist away.

Been flying monthly for the past 3-4 months, the airport has been packed with tourists, from what I can see tourists from China makes up the majority of it, you can see them lining up at visa on arrival counters. Same can been seen at departure terminals.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Chiangmai is doing just fine....No tourist are dying from the smoke.. no one really gives a gecko fart.....

about the smoke...most people make their own holiday happiness themselves no matter what

is going on around them..

My wife's Uncle and Aunt just came back from Chaingmai from a meditation retreat. Aunty got a severe case of bronchitis from the smoke.

....except for your wife's Aunt and Uncle of course...

Stats are stats, manipulated or contrived or genuine. . Take the time to compare with other destinations, not from hearsay but official numbers.....1 busy location in another place may be due to something other than naive tourist persay. Those that use an apparent downturn in numbers in the "highlighted" areas of Thailand may never consider that a great number of tourists actually avoid the big "P"s of Thailand and visit any way for a broader perspective of the country. wink.png

As Ruble Plunges, So Does Russian Tourism In Thailand

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susancunningham/2015/03/25/as-ruble-plunges-so-does-russian-tourism-in-thailand/

Amazing stat buried in there:

"According to the Post story, in 2013 Pattaya accounted for 19% of all Thailand real estate sales–and about 65% of those were to Russians".

Big crash is coming