PM vows to uphold democracy, with Thai features

Lite Beer

I would still like to see the Thai definition? I am warming to this as a definition: Illusions of grandeur and megalomaniac authority controlled by a central power of one or core group of the self-important upper class of that society? The lower class will still eat cake (rice).

• Like 1

Prayuth said that "it would not be 100 per cent like democracy in Western countries". This statement alone makes us aware that he knows nothing about democracies. Exactly what is "democracy in Western countries "? Could he be talking about republic in the US of A , the UK parliamentary system, the Swiss Canton system, the French republic, or a host of other permutaions right down to the democratically appointed government of the Ukraine. If you eliminate that myriad of possibilities as models. it leaves little else other than a one party system, or a non-party system with an appointed electorate.

Perhaps he does know what he is talking about - that is a scary thought.

Do you really think he understands anything of what he is talking about? He's a general in a 2nd rate army. Since when did that carry any significant academic or political skills?

So...does that means to say when the democratic principles are upheld and applied by the future democratically elected governments then does the General agree that he will also address the issues of his accountability and or his political malfeasance and or any corruption and or any policies failures during his illegal tenure.

In other words, will the rules of engagement also apply to him and will he agree to be proven innocent or guilty and stand trail to do so.

Cheers

He is the legal, officially endorsed, PM of Thailand.

Like it or lump it, your opinion doesn't matter one hoot. But stop posting that his tenure is illegal - that's a lie and against forum rules.

Do you consider it a 'legal tenure" for a non elected criminal fugitive to be running the country via a puppet PM and cabinet who simply handed power to him?

Wow, rather skewed way of looking at things, though we are talking about Thailand where coups are supposedly legal. Who is going to stop and arrest the army ? Your logic is in tune with Thailand, but not with the rest of the world. Taking power from an elected government would be considered illegal in most circles.

Yingluck won the election fairly according to the Voice of America. Her brother does not make her election

or government in any way illegal. It is merely an excuse for deposing her government

Yep - she won the election fairly. Vote buying, coercion and intimidation happens in elections in Thailand. No doubt more than one party indulges in this. Happens in other countries do.

Her actions in allowing her criminal fugitive brother to have a say in government, select cabinet members in several shuffles in less than 3 years, Skype into cabinet meetings, and openly meet with politicians and senior policemen is not acceptable ethically, morally and may contravene Thai laws. Not attending parliament, refusing to debate, traveling out of the country instead of acting as PM, not attending meetings especially one's she should be chairing, all suggest something wasn't quite normal with this administration.

Her cousin, the appointed Foreign Minister, illegally issues and hand delivers a new passport to her criminal fugitive brother. Who paid for the new passport, the air fare and was the FM on holiday when he did this personal (and illegal) act? Yingluck has failed to answer repeated questions from the Ombudsman on this subject, which happened whilst the country was in the midst of the worse floods in living memory. Interesting priority. She still refuses to answer those questions and neither she nor her cousin have been held accountable.

She was removed by a court for abuse of power and nepotism to get a relative into a key police position.

Much more illegality than simply being related to a fugitive criminal.

Or do you believe she really was in charge?

The sooner Thailand gets rid off the military junta, the better.

We can all hope, this man won't cause damage that no one be able to undo.

Democracy with Thai features, total nonsense. There's no such thing.

This country needs structural reforms and western-type liberal democracy.

Edited by Matej

Anarchists are willing to shed blood for their cause in order to

create change. I simply do not see that here, where the most

important Thai value seems to be the sabai sabai concept ....

And the few red shirts that were killed in the last few years

were just part of a rent a mob, they could not even be remotely

classified as anarchists nor patriots.

I think you need to brush up on your political persuasions - or just find out what an anarchist is before you post such nonsense on a forum.

I certainly don't see any preponderance towards anarchy in most of the Thai people I meet every day, I would say they are "suckers" for law and order - and particularly gullible suckers at that.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anarchist

"noun

a person who advocates or believes in anarchy or anarchism.
a person who seeks to overturn by violence all constituted forms and institutions of society and government, with no purpose of establishing aany other system of order in the place of that destroyed.
a person who promotes disorder or excites revolt against any established rule, law, or custom.

This shows two things - firstly you don't understand how to use a dictionary or other citations to support your use of language.

secondly if you thought this was relevant to Thai society or politics, you don't appear to have any idea of how Thai politics operate either now or in the past

To the contrary. After 14 years here of following Thai news, I know EXACTLY how

Thai politics work. So am pretty sure my grasp of what goes on and why greatly exceeds

yours. However I cannot really talk about the actual workings of the politics here, or I would be instantly banned on this site. Regarding anarchy, does Arisman exhorting the red shirt rent a mob to bring a million liters of gasoline to Bangkok to burn it down ring any bells for you ? Or maybe news like that does not travel to the village on Nakon Nowhere......

Thai politics work. So am pretty sure my grasp of what goes on and why greatly exceeds

yours. However I cannot really talk about the actual workings of the politics here, or I would be instantly banned on this site. Regarding anarchy, does Arisman exhorting the red shirt rent a mob to bring a million liters of gasoline to Bangkok to burn it down ring any bells for you ? Or maybe news like that does not travel to the village on Nakon Nowhere......

I recon you must be the only one in the whole Kingdom who knows EXACTLY how Thai politics work.

BTW, Is that 14 years of following Thai news or ThaiVisa news?

I recon you must be the only one in the whole Kingdom who knows EXACTLY how Thai politics work.

BTW, Is that 14 years of following Thai news or ThaiVisa news?

Thanks. To actually understand what happens here and why, you generally need

to look at websites external to Thailand. As a lot of the people in power here

have an extremely vested interest in the status quo, you can be assured that

no news would ever be allowed that took a peek behind the curtain. The draconian

libel laws make short work of any news like that .

Regarding TV as a news source in which to form opinions from, you must be kidding.

Stickboy as a news contributor here is about all you need to know on that front......

I read TV for amusement, where I get to read headlines so bizarre that they make me

want to check the calendar to see if it is April 1st... :-)

While I find this man very dis-agreeable in many, many ways. I do love his contempt for Thai soap operas! A full crack down on those I'd support! cheesy.gif

well this was one truthful thing that he said, there is always youtube....

I might take your time from TV soap operas but you can follow them on YouTube later,