PM vows to uphold democracy, with Thai features

Lite Beer

PM vows to uphold democracy, with Thai features
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- PRIME Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha vowed yesterday that he was building democracy for the country - but said it would not be 100 per cent like democracy in Western countries.

Speaking at the opening ceremony for an essay contest promoting the Twelve Core Values, Prayut said he was aware that his government was installed by undemocratic means.

"Although I took power in this way [coup], I understand democratic means and we will not fail democracy. We will take care of the people well and equally," he said.

People would be able to access justice equally and fairly, he said. "Please be confident in the existing justice system," he said. "We have to reduce conflicts and stay away from them," he said, "I myself from now on will never talk about anything to ignite conflict.

"Reporters should also ask less questions about this [conflict]. It's useless. For anything that has already proceeded to the justice system, you should ask the question there," he said. "If you ask me and I answer, there will be some problems," he said.

He said his government was laying the fundamental groundwork for the future of the country and trying to solve problems from the past.

"I chair countless committees to take care of all aspects - economic, finance, fiscal and education. I need to explain to the public what I have done for one hour every Friday. Hopefully, it will not bother people too much. I might take your time from TV soap operas but you can follow them on YouTube later, so please listen to me - you will understand," he said.

"If you want something from the government, please wait until the elected government comes in and ask them," he said. "So, next time, please elect a good government into power. Today, we are now moving toward democracy but we also need to enforce the law, which will never cause trouble for you unless you do something wrong," Prayut said.

"If you understand the situation, I think the majority can accept this," he said. "Democracy is the best, but how do we make our democracy move forward? We have to put Thai elements into the democracy, but it will not contradict international values," he said.

"Well, having to come out to show a three finger salute is a crisis, so why don't we translate that crisis into opportunities," he said. "Protest, yes, you can protest, but don't bring a bomb or an M-16 onto the street. That should not be part of democracy," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PM-vows-to-uphold-democracy-with-Thai-features-30256456.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-21

• Like 2

Orwell would be vomiting on his shoes right now...

"Thai style" means he will have no shoes on. He took them off at the steps to the meeting hall.

So we can all breathe a sigh of relief, the shoes are OK.

Three cheers for "Thainess". Or is 2 or four cheers more appropriate?

Orwell would be vomiting on his shoes right now...

"Thai style" means he will have no shoes on. He took them off at the steps to the meeting hall.

So we can all breathe a sigh of relief, the shoes are OK.

Three cheers for "Thainess". Or is 2 or four cheers more appropriate?

Three "Chaiyo's" and a shot of Lao Khao thanks!

He is fixated on "western" democracy. Does not even bother acknowledging certain Asian countries have viable, representative governments. His preachy, bossy tone is nauseating as well.

The westerner lovers of all things coup have been rather quiet as of late.

• Like 2

"We have to reduce conflicts and stay away from them," he said.

We do not all think the same way and it is impossible to achieve a society where they do short of mass hallucination or drugging the entire populace.

Conflicts are going to happen if people are not allowed differing points of view and are free to air them.

They are going to happen if politicians, the law and other groups are allowed to do as they please with no fear of consequences.

They are going to happen if political parties rule in favour of their faction of the elite and not the country.

What the country needs is a free and fair judicial system and a political system that is bound by the laws.

All need to know that if they break the law or abuse power they are going to gaol.

No matter who they are.

We know who "they" are, and "they" do not want to be held accountable for anything.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"We have to put Thai elements into the democracy"

Appointed Senate

Appointed PM

Appointed EC

Appointed NACC

Appointed CC

Appointed Judges

Appointed Top Bureaucrats

Appointed State Board Members

Appointed Reform Committee (after election)

Appointed People's Assembly (after election)

...and one neutered, gerrymandered elected House of Representatives who do none of the appointing.

That is a lot of Thai element and very little democracy.

Democracy is okay , the Thai interpretation is a worry.

Western style democracy (for Thailand) is concerning, a sprinkling of Thainess is reassuring!!!

• Like 1

Compared with earlier statements made by him I finally got it: only a 100% democracy is a trap.

If I subtract 10 % for each point bruce64 mentioned in his post there is nothing left to be named- unless you accept "Cryness" for a Zero

BANGKOK: -- PRIME Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha vowed yesterday that he was building democracy for the country - but said it would not be 100 per cent like democracy in Western countries.

So not democracy then.

correct like the man said not 100% but who wants that anyway ??