Who has the right of way on a Thai roundabout?

If cars entering the roundabout had right of way then the roundabout would jam pretty quickly if vehicles were entering from every side. Oh wait....

Yeah, and it gets worse. Motorbikes from all directions do as they please, large trucks always do as they please, including cutting everyone off and crossing the roundabout causing other motorists to slam on their brakes, and other forms of unpredictable chaos.... Normal life on the roads in Thailand.

Not being sexist, but I find tuktuks driven by (DELETED) to be the worst offenders in Udon breaking the roundabout rule driving right across my path forcing me to brake hard even though Im on a bicycle.

"Not being sexist" - except you're being sexist. go back and rethink why you came to that conclusion and what makes you so sure your personal experience is representative of the real overall situation? My guess is you'd need to monitor 24/7 for a year or two to be convincing on that score - (DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

In the UK, it was, for many years, those vehicles entering the roundabout. Then they switched to the more logical continental Europe system. But why worry about it here? Ninety nine percent of drivers don't know the rule, anyway.

When did they switch? - in the mid sixties, but it wasn't actually a switch and it wasn't a European system - or did you just learn the right way?

Edited by cumgranosalum

On a roundabout left/right right of way does not apply. The roundabout is a principal road, hence all on it have right of way over cars wanting to enter it.

On equal junctions going straight has right of way over turning vehicles and if both going straight or turning, the one coming from the left has right of way.

• Like 1

This will help: Section 71 Page 11 If, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first. If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when theres a designation of principal roadway in which case the vehicle on the principal roadway has right of way. http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

OK, that implies giving way to the right, which is congruent with using a roundabout. I thought giving way to the left was nonsensical.
Huh? It says 'left has right of way' and you conclude ' that implies right has right of way'.

Left has right of way, with roundabouts the exception.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

In the UK, it was, for many years, those vehicles entering the roundabout. Then they switched to the more logical continental Europe system. But why worry about it here? Ninety nine percent of drivers don't know the rule, anyway.

And clearly the foreigners don't know the rules as well.
  • Like 1

And clearly the foreigners don't know the rules as well.

ergo,

Unless everybody knows the rules, the rules don't matter smile.png

In law, let us hear from typists who have read the law in Thai.

In practice, the larger vehicle takes the right of way; if equal sized, then the more aggressive driver.

So an official translation has been quoted here a few times already, but now you ask one of the tvf readers for his translation. What value would that add?
  • Like 1

This will help: Section 71 Page 11 If, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first. If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when theres a designation of principal roadway in which case the vehicle on the principal roadway has right of way. http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

OK, that implies giving way to the right, which is congruent with using a roundabout. I thought giving way to the left was nonsensical.
Huh? It says 'left has right of way' and you conclude ' that implies right has right of way'.

That's what I said. Give way to the right at normal intersections, and give way to traffic already on the roundabout. Noone "gives way to the left".

That's what I said. Give way to the right at normal intersections, and give way to traffic already on the roundabout. Noone "gives way to the left".
Yes, that is what you said but that is not correct. Give way to left is the law.
  • Like 1

No. You give way to the left at a normal intersection in Thailand, unless the person from the right goes straight on and the person from the left makes a turn.

Sadly that is incorrect...priority is from the left unless otherwise indicated and on roundabouts where it is to the right.

(DELETED)

That is just pure nonsense - the law is clearly translated and you are now making up fantasies about how you think the law stands which are totally at odds with any of the laws cited here.

Edited by seedy
nonsense

Roundabouts are alien to Thai traffic engineers and drivers. In Bangkok, they hardly exist. I've been here donkey's years and only know of three in the whole city, and they are only there because of the monuments which have to be skirted: Victory Monument, Democracy Monument and Wongwian Yai.

Meanwhile, all over the city there are junctions with or without traffic lights which would work far better if made into roundabouts, but the engineers just don't create them. Why not? Britain is chock-a-block with roundabouts because the engineers know they are a good solution to managing traffic at very many junctions. France today also has them everywhere, after eschewing them until recently, because the French eventually learned that they are more efficient and safer than crossroads.

What's the big problem with creating roundabouts in Thailand? Never mind if Thai drivers ignore the right of way rules, roundabouts would benefit traffic flow in tens of thousands of places across the country.

apart from the fact that the guy who "invented" the UK priority from the right roundabout ended up working here (Bkk) as a consultant.

it would seem that the main reason for not just the lack of roundabouts but the almost total lack of any traffic engineering in Thailand is not down to lack of advice, but the unwillingness to spend money on roads.....(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
disrespect for Thai people
  • Like 1

While I agree that the roundabout is a fine way to manage traffic, unfortunately they demand space. it has to be possible for cars to be seen for time before they arrive at your position. In Manchester in the UK, there is a roundabout which is 1.5 Km in diameter and it works fine, but in our cities with tall buildings just a few feet from the road obscuring view, narrow roads, extreme dip angles which often need a turn of less than 45 degrees ( 30 or 120 depending on approach ) to enter the roundabout and fast drivers, there is virtually no chance at all of them being installed properly without demolishing half of the city which would remove it's "intimate Thainess". Love them or hate them, I think that they are only ever going to work in new developments.

A good way to look at the extent of corruption in a country is to look at the roads.....(DELETED)

money is allotted by government for work on roads and the "officials syphon this money off for their own benefit.

the result is that short cuts are taken in the construction of such things as roads bridges and junctions. Hardcore is insufficient so road surfaces are constantly flexing or washed away, bridges and junctions are not produced as specified but eschewed in favour of cheap alternatives - the u-turn in Thailand is a dangerous but cheap solution to traffic junctions. In Italy it is possible to find stretches of "switch-backed" motorways with no bridges - this is due to insufficient funding for basic foundations and bridges over roundabout junctions simply aren't built.

Edited by seedy
off topic

No matter the situation, I stop or slow down and proceed with caution whether on a bike or car. Here they play chicken, the larger the vehicle the more right away they assume they have. The equation should be if you are on a bike, you can't beat a ton of steel, Here they do not feel a car is like a weapon, here it is not a privilege to drive but a right, here the larger the vehicle the greater the right of way, driving should get you from point A to B in a safe and enjoyable manner, here it is pedal to the medal, as if there is no tomorrow which to many there isn't.

Here in Thailand, there is only one rule, adjust your driving to the condition at hand, when in doubt slow down and proceed with caution.

I can only speak for Udon Thani where the rule is give way to traffic already on the roundabout, as in the UK, rather than give way to traffic entering the roundabout, as in France. In practice though the rule is head down, eyes closed and go for it.

Who ever is already on the roundabout has right of way. They recently replaced one in Buriram with traffic lights. I feel much better when I drive through there now.

Anyway, why do you want to know? Do you have the death wish?

I think I know the one you mean, (going straight on to BIG C ?) as my GPS always warns me to take the first exit ;)

I can only speak for Udon Thani where the rule is give way to traffic already on the roundabout, as in the UK, rather than give way to traffic entering the roundabout, as in France. In practice though the rule is head down, eyes closed and go for it.

the rule is give way to traffic on your right - no making up extra interpretations for yourself.

the rule is give way to traffic on your right - no making up extra interpretations for yourself.

Hehe :)

MosMing is partially correct though: the law states you must give way to any traffic already at a junction, regardless of what side they're on.

Hehe smile.png

MosMing is partially correct though: the law states you must give way to any traffic already at a junction, regardless of what side they're on.

No it doesn't....that's incomplete.

"[if, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of “principle roadway” in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]"

Edited by cumgranosalum

• 2 weeks later...

Roundabouts are alien to Thai traffic engineers and drivers. In Bangkok, they hardly exist. I've been here donkey's years and only know of three in the whole city, and they are only there because of the monuments which have to be skirted: Victory Monument, Democracy Monument and Wongwian Yai.

Meanwhile, all over the city there are junctions with or without traffic lights which would work far better if made into roundabouts, but the engineers just don't create them. Why not? Britain is chock-a-block with roundabouts because the engineers know they are a good solution to managing traffic at very many junctions. France today also has them everywhere, after eschewing them until recently, because the French eventually learned that they are more efficient and safer than crossroads.

What's the big problem with creating roundabouts in Thailand? Never mind if Thai drivers ignore the right of way rules, roundabouts would benefit traffic flow in tens of thousands of places across the country.

apart from the fact that the guy who "invented" the UK priority from the right roundabout ended up working here (Bkk) as a consultant.

it would seem that the main reason for not just the lack of roundabouts but the almost total lack of any traffic engineering in Thailand is not down to lack of advice, but the unwillingness to spend money on roads.....(DELETED)

Roundabouts would be good. You see quite a few of them in Cambodia though (former French colony). A couple in Laos too (same reason). They work quite well in those places.