Motorbikes driving in the Right- Hand lane..

jamiejoel

Hi,

My friend got pulled over by the BIB for driving his motorbike in lane 3 ( the right hand lane ) along Sukhumvit Rd. Even though he was overtaking other road users, he was told motorbikes must keep in the left lane or be fined 200bt.

As the Thai road laws are directly taken from the British Highway Code I feel this is wrong. As the UK law states you should stay left unless overtaking.

Can someone, if they read Thai, tell me if it is written in the Thai law that motorbikes must only use the left lane.. Or is this a case of the BIB making up their own rules and no one questioning?

Many thanks

JJ

Well you have to get in the far right lane if you are coming up to a U-Turn you will be using. That is certainly one valid reason to be there.

Or simply turning right.

Being in the left lane is dangerous, people driving the wrong way coming straight at you.

• Like 1

Pulled over many a time in car for being in Right Lane on Highway , charge 200 baht , Overtaking Only , Newbies, also charged for having my headlamps on during the day, 100 baht, running through a Yellow, 400 baht.

What a stupid law. I have been stopped 3 times, for not being in the left lane. One of the times I did not get fined, because I was going to do a U-turn, at the next possible U-turn.

Yesterday I was pulled over driving in the left lane with my helmet on. The officer spoke to me in Thai, I replied in English "Not speak Thai" and then he just sent me off again.

• Like 1

If they are fining M/Cs for being in the wrong lane, then it would also pay to fine the motorcyclists who use the "bicycle" lane on the footpaths/sidewalks of Sukhumvit road, Thong Lor through to On Nut (and probably other areas as well).

Firstly it belies common sense to have a bicycle lane running down the middle of the footpath instead of to the side. Secondly, I don't know how there hasn't been more accidents from pedestrians inadvertently wandering into the lane and being cleaned up by a speeding motorcycle taxi trying to get his next fare. One literally has to have eyes in the back of their head when walking along there on either side of the road. The other day I saw some idiot doing at least 60kms/hour along the footpath in the bicycle lane.

Section 33 of the Land Traffic Act (1979) state that all vehicles should keep left and not beyond the middle unless:

There is an obstruction on the road

The road is prescribed as one-way

The road is less than 6m wide

Section 34 states:

If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand lane. If the outermost left-hand lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane, Except the following exceptions:

It is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction
when overtaking another vehicle
when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane
There are no clauses (in the English version) that state any specific regulations to motorcycles that are not also applied to cars and trucks except the required use of a helmet for all on the bike.
I have a laminated version of these two sections in Thai in my wallet, but have never had to use it.
Refuse to pay the 200 and stand your ground.

You forget the next section.. this is the general one.. the next one is specifically about bikes. I am a biker too.. but studied that law and the cops are right.. its a crazy law but its in the books.

Hi,

My friend got pulled over by the BIB for driving his motorbike in lane 3 ( the right hand lane ) along Sukhumvit Rd. Even though he was overtaking other road users, he was told motorbikes must keep in the left lane or be fined 200bt.

As the Thai road laws are directly taken from the British Highway Code I feel this is wrong. As the UK law states you should stay left unless overtaking.

Can someone, if they read Thai, tell me if it is written in the Thai law that motorbikes must only use the left lane.. Or is this a case of the BIB making up their own rules and no one questioning?

Many thanks

JJ

It appears it is a real road rule:

From the Land Traffic Act of 1979:

Section 35 (400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or travelling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be.

------------------

Bet the cops love that law!

Section 33 of the Land Traffic Act (1979) state that all vehicles should keep left and not beyond the middle unless:

Section 34 states:

If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand lane. If the outermost left-hand lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane, Except the following exceptions:

There are no clauses (in the English version) that state any specific regulations to motorcycles that are not also applied to cars and trucks except the required use of a helmet for all on the bike.

I have a laminated version of these two sections in Thai in my wallet, but have never had to use it.

You forget the next section.. this is the general one.. the next one is specifically about bikes. I am a biker too.. but studied that law and the cops are right.. its a crazy law but its in the books.
Are you sure?

Sorry, but the next section relates to low speed vehicles keeping left to the curbside, followed by hand signals of light signals for turning and changing lanes. The following sections are about handling obstructions and narrow roads.

As I stated, there are no specific clauses that single out bikes - there are only 5 references to motorcycles in the entire document and all instances occur in a sentence that includes other vehicle types.

The document I use is freely available for download if anybody would like to verify themselves.

Section 34 states:

Section 34 states:

Are you sure?

Unfortunately I am.. just look at what nai harn posted.. that is the next section specially for motorbikes and other slow moving traffic.

Sorry, but the next section relates to low speed vehicles keeping left to the curbside, followed by hand signals of light signals for turning and changing lanes. The following sections are about handling obstructions and narrow roads.

As I stated, there are no specific clauses that single out bikes - there are only 5 references to motorcycles in the entire document and all instances occur in a sentence that includes other vehicle types.

The document I use is freely available for download if anybody would like to verify themselves.

Section 34 states:

next section is where bikes are mentioned.. believe me i studied it too. I am not crazy would love it not to be true.

Section 35 (400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or travelling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be.

Here the motorcycle is mentioned specifically as always having to stay to the left. Perhaps the vehicule of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicules threw you off.. But that is just an other catagory. All of these always need to stay to the left.

Well you have to get in the far right lane if you are coming up to a U-Turn you will be using. That is certainly one valid reason to be there.

Not according to one regular poster on the Motorbike Forum. I said the same thing and got villified for it.

Pulled over many a time in car for being in Right Lane on Highway , charge 200 baht , Overtaking Only , Newbies, also charged for having my headlamps on during the day, 100 baht, running through a Yellow, 400 baht.

Motorbikes headlamps are made to stay on all the time, they only go off when the engine is stopped or the bulb needs replaced.

Section 34 states:

Your last sentence, that's exactly what I would do.

If they are fining M/Cs for being in the wrong lane, then it would also pay to fine the motorcyclists who use the "bicycle" lane on the footpaths/sidewalks of Sukhumvit road, Thong Lor through to On Nut (and probably other areas as well).

Firstly it belies common sense to have a bicycle lane running down the middle of the footpath instead of to the side. Secondly, I don't know how there hasn't been more accidents from pedestrians inadvertently wandering into the lane and being cleaned up by a speeding motorcycle taxi trying to get his next fare. One literally has to have eyes in the back of their head when walking along there on either side of the road. The other day I saw some idiot doing at least 60kms/hour along the footpath in the bicycle lane.

This is Thailand, the LOS, the Land of Stupidity.

Section 35 (400-1000B)

Here the motorcycle is mentioned specifically as always having to stay to the left. Perhaps the vehicule of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicules threw you off.. But that is just an other catagory. All of these always need to stay to the left.

Nope.. "The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or travelling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction," refers to ALL listed vehicles exactly the same as UK road rules. There is NOTHING specific to motorcycles, but Thai police choose to read it like you did.. Only slower moving vehicles, so if they are doing 60 kmh then you can certainly overtake in the outside lane.

The quoted text lists vehicles that shall stay on the left side. The list includes motorcycles. It is not stating that it is only about vehicles of low speed. You can replace the colons with "or" to make it clearer if you want:

"The driver of a truck OR passenger vehicle OR motorcycle OR vehicle of low speed OR travelling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction".

If you want to argue then argue what a passenger vehicle is defined as in Thailand as it might include pretty much all cars.

You probably need a fast ATV to not fall into the above definition :)

• Like 1