Motorbikes driving in the Right- Hand lane..

jamiejoel

To drive a bus in the UK you need a PCV license (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) so Passenger vehicle refers to buses etc ie all trucks, buses etc and MOTORCYCLES must keep to the left at all times if possible. This does not apply to cars. It's written in plain English.

To turn right or make a U-turn etc you can move to the right lane within a certain distance of the turn. I think it's 60m or 100m and the road has markers to show this. This is why police never(rarely) set up road blocks if a right/U-turn is nearby. I have been done a few times for this but I was always at fault. If I was making a U-turn and indicating that, I have never been stopped. If I was in the left lane I have never been stopped.

This topic has been done to death, we've had a few experts on here clarifying it and the law is correct. You can produce all the bits of paper you want but you are still wrong. Maybe the police will let you go as they can't be bothered to argue with the noisy farang but you are still wrong and there is no debating it.

Yes the law is outdated but it is the law. Anyway stop complaining about it, I'd happily pay 100-200B every now and then rather than being faced with the draconian laws that most of us face in our own countries.

I done the piece of paper thing, had a Thai / English translation of rule 34 (not the one i found out later existed) I tried it on with the coppers, it was a waste of time.

I agree, the law is outdated and I don't complain when I am stopped I just pay and be done with it.

• Like 1

Are motorbikes allowed to overtake on the inside lane?

I'm referring to travelling along on the nearside lane, the one on the left, and being overtaken by a motorbike on the inside, my left side.

There are enough things to watch out for when driving without the constant hazard of bikes zipping past on the inside.

blink.png

Actually according to those rules we have too.. and in Thailand everyone can undertake.. there is no law against it.

Yep.

As long as it's two or more lanes you can undertake.

Agreed. Here you adjust your driving for the conditions. Personally some of it is stupid. As long as you know what other road users may do you can hopefully survive.

Are motorbikes allowed to overtake on the inside lane?

I'm referring to travelling along on the nearside lane, the one on the left, and being overtaken by a motorbike on the inside, my left side.

There are enough things to watch out for when driving without the constant hazard of bikes zipping past on the inside.

blink.png

Actually according to those rules we have too.. and in Thailand everyone can undertake.. there is no law against it.

Yep.

As long as it's two or more lanes you can undertake.

Agreed. Here you adjust your driving for the conditions. Personally some of it is stupid. As long as you know what other road users may do you can hopefully survive.

You're right. I think as long as everyone is doing the same thing, i.e. undertaking, there's no problem because you're expecting it, and looking out for it. It's the unexpected thats dangerous.

To drive a bus in the UK you need a PCV license (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) so Passenger vehicle refers to buses etc ie all trucks, buses etc and MOTORCYCLES must keep to the left at all times if possible. This does not apply to cars. It's written in plain English.

To turn right or make a U-turn etc you can move to the right lane within a certain distance of the turn. I think it's 60m or 100m and the road has markers to show this. This is why police never(rarely) set up road blocks if a right/U-turn is nearby. I have been done a few times for this but I was always at fault. If I was making a U-turn and indicating that, I have never been stopped. If I was in the left lane I have never been stopped.

This topic has been done to death, we've had a few experts on here clarifying it and the law is correct. You can produce all the bits of paper you want but you are still wrong. Maybe the police will let you go as they can't be bothered to argue with the noisy farang but you are still wrong and there is no debating it.

Yes the law is outdated but it is the law. Anyway stop complaining about it, I'd happily pay 100-200B every now and then rather than being faced with the draconian laws that most of us face in our own countries.

Yes, but are there as many road fatalities in our own countries?

No idea where you come from. Riding motorbikes is a shade dangerous anywhere. Road deaths here are high somewhat due to the number of motorcycles. Riders should do more but here is here. Helmets mess the hairstyle up. Make helmets fashionable they will all wear one.

What does this have to do with what I said regarding the topic? Are you suggesting keeping to the left is dangerous?

What does this have to do with what I said regarding the topic? Are you suggesting keeping to the left is dangerous?

If you want to be serious keeping to the left can be dangerous. Road surface is generally dodgy due to lorries. Won't touch hard shoulder myself.

• Like 1

If you want to be serious keeping to the left can be dangerous. Road surface is generally dodgy due to lorries. Won't touch hard shoulder myself.

I totally agree mate, but let's not reopen that can of worms.

I totally agree mate, but let's not reopen that can of worms.

I am so wealthy that I have a 300 cc bike. Joyous fun, too slow, married.

I am so wealthy that I have a 300 cc bike. Joyous fun, too slow, married.

You've lost me.

Sorry to confuse you. Mopeds here 125cc are quite quick . Driving in the gutter has to be done if chosen transport can't keep up. Only point was motorbike is good as long as it goes fast enough.

It seems too difficult to grasp the fact that the laws go back to the days of 70cc honda clunks and 50mph datsuns. They didnt want stepthrus clogging up the outside lane and today they still enforce that law.
Theyre also too (DELETED) to allow 180bhp bikes on motorways as bikes are 'slow'

Edited by seedy
disrespect for Thai people

Pulled over many a time in car for being in Right Lane on Highway , charge 200 baht , Overtaking Only , Newbies, also charged for having my headlamps on during the day, 100 baht, running through a Yellow, 400 baht.

Motorbikes headlamps are made to stay on all the time, they only go off when the engine is stopped or the bulb needs replaced.
I was a lil off topic , I was talking about Car, I had my lights on during the day, 100 baht bypass rd outside KK heading S. To Korat

Section 35 (400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or travelling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be.

Here the motorcycle is mentioned specifically as always having to stay to the left. Perhaps the vehicule of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicules threw you off.. But that is just an other catagory. All of these always need to stay to the left.

Robblok is this referring to all vehicles that are travelling at a lower speed?

So if the Car Truck or Bike is travelling at a faster speed then there is no need to be in the left.. according to Sect 35.

(DELETED) I hate this rule.. pay up and move on I guess.

Edited by seedy
language

As a matter of interest I was pulled over by the police near Fashion Island, Minburi. I was in the left-hand lane until a taxi driver dropping a passenger off illegally in the brake down lane (call it what you will) putting the passenger in danger having to cross 2 lanes, pulled out without warning forcing me into the right-hand lane, i accelerated to avoid the car. I was flagged down 50mts away at a checkpoint and lectured for not being in the correct lane. I was then asked to cross a busy road section to go and pay the top-dog sat under the shade of the flyover bridge. I introduced him to my best friend, my wifi enabled action camera. He sent me on my merry way.

Regardless of the law, I ride knowing what is the safest for me without endangering myself or others. Fine or not!

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 1

Section 35 (400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or travelling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be.

Here the motorcycle is mentioned specifically as always having to stay to the left. Perhaps the vehicule of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicules threw you off.. But that is just an other catagory. All of these always need to stay to the left.

Robblok is this referring to all vehicles that are travelling at a lower speed?

So if the Car Truck or Bike is travelling at a faster speed then there is no need to be in the left.. according to Sect 35.

(DELETED) I hate this rule.. pay up and move on I guess.

No.. motorbike always has to be there.. and as an extra category there are vehicles of low speed (catch all phrase). Seriously this has done to death in the past. We are in the wrong. The law is outdated, I hate it too.

Yes its meant as a list: trucks AND motorbikes AND vehicles of low speed AND ...

Correct, wish the big bike groups and big bike producers would rally and try to change this law. Its not so hard. Bikes that are big enough just get a sticker the CC in the greenbook is proof.. whatever. Its doable. I can understand them not wanting the real slow bikes everywhere but the bigger faster ones.. even the 250's have plenty of power.

The rules for motorbikes are based on 125cc. Bigger bikes are relatively cheap and more available now. Live in a small non tourist place and saw two Ducati in an hour, second one ridden by a 15 year old school kid. Two school kids on a Ducati Monster, Thailand. The fine for being stopped is so low as is the chance of being stopped. Do not suggest breaking the law but what is the law.

Where are you from originally? Big bikes in Thailand cost about 3 times the price they would be in the USA. Yes, there are a few cheap-ish used ones, but they are generally ragged out and not something I'd want to purchase. I've seen 20+ year old Honda Bros 400s sold here for almost the same price as a brand new Honda CBR500R in the USA. I've seen used Thai Ducati's listed at 1.5X their new retail price in the USA. Ninja 300, old model, high kms, priced the same as a brand new on in the USA.

A Ducati is a nice enough bike, not my favorite but they're nice, but many of them in Thailand are Frankensteins from 10 different wrecked bikes with a cheap coat of paint on top, or have motors on the verge of collapse. New ones are highly overpriced and face extremely high taxes as well.

(Sorry, slightly off topic but relevant to the quoted post)

Edited by Tessellation

Even if it is illegal it's far safer to ride out of the left most lane.
Just keep some tea money tucked away incase you have no option but to stop for kamikaze police officers.
I always find that acknowledging them, showing intent to pull over with an indicator then blasting away once the officer has walked to the curb works well (providing you license plate is obscured in it's location or with a cheeky left boot ;)
Of course this is risky, but it's worked for me for 6 years and I only refuse to stop in areas I don't regularly visit, I stop for all local road blocks and they wave me through after checking all the documents on board either bike

The rules for motorbikes are based on 125cc. Bigger bikes are relatively cheap and more available now. Live in a small non tourist place and saw two Ducati in an hour, second one ridden by a 15 year old school kid. Two school kids on a Ducati Monster, Thailand. The fine for being stopped is so low as is the chance of being stopped. Do not suggest breaking the law but what is the law.

Where are you from originally? Big bikes in Thailand cost about 3 times the price they would be in the USA. Yes, there are a few cheap-ish used ones, but they are generally ragged out and not something I'd want to purchase. I've seen 20+ year old Honda Bros 400s sold here for almost the same price as a brand new Honda CBR500R in the USA. I've seen used Thai Ducati's listed at 1.5X their new retail price in the USA. Ninja 300, old model, high kms, priced the same as a brand new on in the USA.

A Ducati is a nice enough bike, not my favorite but they're nice, but many of them in Thailand are Frankensteins from 10 different wrecked bikes with a cheap coat of paint on top, or have motors on the verge of collapse. New ones are highly overpriced and face extremely high taxes as well.

(Sorry, slightly off topic but relevant to the quoted post)

You're really way off- the CBR500R goes for $500 more in LOS than the US- the non-ABS Ninja 300 (there is no 'old' model and it's been the same since it was introduced in 2013) is actually a bit cheaper in LOS. Taxes and other charges can drive up the cost of imports 80-120% compared to US prices depending on the manufacturer, but no bikes are 'triple' here. Edited by RubberSideDown

Pulled over many a time in car for being in Right Lane on Highway , charge 200 baht , Overtaking Only , Newbies, also charged for having my headlamps on during the day, 100 baht, running through a Yellow, 400 baht.

You can't be charged for having your headlights on during the day as most new motorcycles built since around 2008 (or possibly a little earlier) have headlights on permanently. You can't switch them off unless you open up the headlights and turn them off manually but no one does that. There is a good reason for having headlights on all the time. Even many new cars have daytime running lights, such as my car.