Hatyai to Phuket

Seastallion

For years they had daily flights on small jets, courtesy Thai Airways. I think they probably got support from the government for tourism promotion. they were seldom near full.

During the Chuan years they also had a stopover in Trang, his hometown.

Other carriers have tried it, the most recent being Nok, but they failed because they used too big a plane and had almost no publicity about it. Once they realized they couldn't get the load factor they needed during high season the dropped it.

Actually both Nok and Bankok Airways both tried to do it at the same time, and they had a code sharing agreement for a time.

Before that HappyAir tried it for a while with a turboprop on a triangle route to Langkawi, but they kept changing routes...no consistency, bad management.

Phuket Air ran it with a 30-seat turboprop a few years before that and it was almost always at or near full, but they got overambitious with plans to do long haul flights to Europe, from which they were eventually banned when one engine aircraft caught fire and there were other safety issues.

A bomb set off by [presumably} by insurgents at Hat Yai Airport, in early April 2005, also had an effect.

I remember having booked a flight back to Phuket about a week later, showed up at the airport only to be told the flight was cancelled. They didn't even bother to call.

It's mind boggling and that you can't get a flight between the second busiest airport in Thailand (Phuket) and Haad Yai, especially given that there are flights from Phuket to Samui, Hat Yai to Surat, etc, and other smaller markets.

If you want to fly from HDY to HKT you only have two options: get your own plane (harder than ever with the new DCA regs) or go via Bangkok.

I hate the drive from Songkhla to Phuket, because you really have to go north all the way to Khok Kloy in Phang Nga to get to the bridge then head back south, and if you try to do it

during daylight hours you arrive at rush hour and have to deal with the horrific traffic there.

Anyway, maybe I complain too much. I wonder what that journey would have been like 100 years ago. :)