Re-entry permit at CNX....a week early?

bangmai

Was going to go over there and try to get some decent seats for my flights...Thought it might be convenient to get re-entry permit out of the way....would that be possible or would I have to go to Immigration Office to get one in advance? Thx!

The happy, cheerful and extremely helpful immigration staff are there at 5.15 am for the first flight of the day to issue re entry permits you must have a boarding pass as the facility is airside after security. If you want miserable unhelpful staff try flying into Coolangata international air port in Australia The arrivals area is really third world.

• Like 2

You definitely need a boarding pass because the bored, underworked individuals who handle this are behind the security clearence. Tried this move myself last year.

My wife's sister works there and she is not bored nor underworked.

Edited by onthedarkside
very rude remark about another member removed
  • Like 2

They sure looked bored and underworked when I saw them thru the glass the time that I came ahead of a flight. Nothing to do. Just sitting or standing around talking with each other. Yes, they are busy when there are flight to check in, and they are quite cheerful and efficient, but there's no reason they couldn't come out from behind the security counter to help people between flight.

Also, there's another Immigration desk on the first floor of the airport whose purpose is an absolute mystery. I asked about re-entry permits, in Thai and was directed to the Immgiration office. They, too, didn't appear to be doing anything.

The six Immigration staff people I observed at the airport appear to have workdays in stark contrast to their associates just down the road at the Immigration office. Those poor people work non-stop, with many coming in way ahead of official start time and/or staying late. Their hands never stop -- it's stamp-stamp-stamp, write-write, write all day long, surrounded by a heaving mob in hot conditions.

I'll stand by what I said, by contrast, the Immigration staff at the airport appears to be bored and underworked. That is no slight on their character! That is slight on how they are managed and deployed.

• Like 1

I actually got a re-entry permit at cnx 1 day before my flight a few years ago. I showed my e-ticket & explained my situation & was let through security. I was issued the re-entry permit at the counter inside. They also stapled a signed note in my passport. However, the next day when I was on my way to board the plane the immigration guy at the desk wasn't having it. He told me the airport immigration could only issue same day permits. Then he canceled mine. My only option (if I didn't want to lose my visa status) was to go right then to the main immigration office & get a new permit. This was about 90 min. before boarding. I got another note from the airport guy & ran (literally) to the main office, jumped the queue, pleaded my case & handed over the note from the airport. After a few minutes of eyebrow raising & head shaking I got the new re-entry permit and ran back to the airport, with time enough for a few much needed drinks before boarding.

You want the re-entry in advance go to Chiangmai Immigration Office.

You want it the day you fly, you can get it at the Airport Immigration desk just on the left after security screening and before immigration procedure in the security zone.

Wow, NancyL! I applaud your candid reply.

If someone did get special treatment, it wouldn't really be fair and I am pretty sure others would jump at the opportunity to complain.

This thinking rules don't apply to us often opens our eyes to the real picture.

Wow, NancyL! I applaud your candid reply.

If someone did get special treatment, it wouldn't really be fair and I am pretty sure others would jump at the opportunity to complain.

This thinking rules don't apply to us often opens our eyes to the real picture.

Or realizing that they often don't abide by the rules made by themselves.........

I'm guessing that some of these comments about circumventing or rules not applying were directed at me & my story. To be clear, at the time I didn't know what the rules were. I just went to the airport to ask if I could get a re-entry permit the day before my flight & they gave me one. I was innocent of any arrogance or bad intentions, but I ended up paying for it anyway. Kind of like how I innocently shared my story here just to inform & amuse others, only to end up getting wrongly judged. Apologies if I've misinterpreted anyone's comments. It's easy to misinterpret others on a forum like this.

• Like 1

Yes, in re-reading my posts, I realized how whinny and entitled I sounded. Of course, you can't expect them to allow passengers without boarding passes to go thru the security gate, nor can you expect them to come out from behind the screening point to serve anyone who shows up at the airport asking for a re-entry permit, even if they aren't otherwise doing anything. Both practices create security risks.

AS an aside, do you remember the days when people actually went to the airport as a leisure activity? You know to have a meal, do some shopping and watch the planes take off? The airports actually encouraged this practice. They built a big, fancy new terminal near our home in metro Detroit at the end of the last century, with much retail shopping space. The plan was that it would be a destination shopping center. There weren't any malls in the area and this was to be better than any mall. But then, 9/11 came and they didn't want anyone getting close to the airport unless they had a real reason to be there. Heck, they even started to stop and search vehicles that they thought were using the airport roads as short-cuts. We had a nursery/greenhouse business in the area and it only took one time of them stopping our delivery truck and insisting that every plant be unloaded for inspection that we stopped taking shortcuts thru airport property!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

^

Yes I do remember those days when an airport was an attraction. A family outing to view the attraction of those lucky people on a flying adventure, look at the aircraft from the viewing deck, maybe have a some fast food at the cafeteria. My parents never ever flew in an aircraft but would spend a few hours at our local airport and take in the atmosphere. Even when I was young and courting, an evening at the airport was an acceptable activity for young ladies. I had an old car and enough money to dine in the real airport restaurant. My first actual flight was at the age of 21, and I have been flying worldwide since then.

I know this is way off topic but NancyL's post struck a chord with me.

• Like 2

Yes, in re-reading my posts, I realized how whinny and entitled I sounded. Of course, you can't expect them to allow passengers without boarding passes to go thru the security gate, nor can you expect them to come out from behind the screening point to serve anyone who shows up at the airport asking for a re-entry permit, even if they aren't otherwise doing anything. Both practices create security risks.

AS an aside, do you remember the days when people actually went to the airport as a leisure activity? You know to have a meal, do some shopping and watch the planes take off? The airports actually encouraged this practice. They built a big, fancy new terminal near our home in metro Detroit at the end of the last century, with much retail shopping space. The plan was that it would be a destination shopping center. There weren't any malls in the area and this was to be better than any mall. But then, 9/11 came and they didn't want anyone getting close to the airport unless they had a real reason to be there. Heck, they even started to stop and search vehicles that they thought were using the airport roads as short-cuts. We had a nursery/greenhouse business in the area and it only took one time of them stopping our delivery truck and insisting that every plant be unloaded for inspection that we stopped taking shortcuts thru airport property!

OMG! A harbinger of things to come in Chiang Mai ?!

^

Yes I do remember those days when an airport was an attraction. A family outing to view the attraction of those lucky people on a flying adventure, look at the aircraft from the viewing deck, maybe have a some fast food at the cafeteria. My parents never ever flew in an aircraft but would spend a few hours at our local airport and take in the atmosphere. Even when I was young and courting, an evening at the airport was an acceptable activity for young ladies. I had an old car and enough money to dine in the real airport restaurant. My first actual flight was at the age of 21, and I have been flying worldwide since then.

I know this is way off topic but NancyL's post struck a chord with me.

Changi in Singapore gives you that sort of experience,gym,pool,theatre,bird sanctuary,loads of shops, remarkably quiet and very spacious.My personal favourite if you in transit although the inside hotels are quite pricey.

I too remember those wonderful days when the World seemed a much happier and safer place. In Britain we could go to Heathrow or Gatwick Airports where they had viewing area's on the roof with seating for onlookers. We could photograph all the Aircraft, a good thing for anyone with mechanical interests like me as almost all the Aircraft types on show in the 60's and 70's are long gone from service now. Plenty of places to eat at reasonable prices in those days too, not like today, the food overpriced rubbish at stupidly high prices. I made my first visit to Heathrow in 1962 and still have the free book they used to hand out as a promotional perk.

The World has become a much different place and in Perth i was told that i could not take photo's of Aircraft on the ramps through the windows of the departure lounge owing to 'security concerns'. What a sad state Humans have got themselves in to.

• Like 1

I too remember those wonderful days when the World seemed a much happier and safer place. In Britain we could go to Heathrow or Gatwick Airports where they had viewing area's on the roof with seating for onlookers. We could photograph all the Aircraft, a good thing for anyone with mechanical interests like me as almost all the Aircraft types on show in the 60's and 70's are long gone from service now. Plenty of places to eat at reasonable prices in those days too, not like today, the food overpriced rubbish at stupidly high prices. I made my first visit to Heathrow in 1962 and still have the free book they used to hand out as a promotional perk.

The World has become a much different place and in Perth i was told that i could not take photo's of Aircraft on the ramps through the windows of the departure lounge owing to 'security concerns'. What a sad state Humans have got themselves in to.

So I guess we can't get a reentry at CNX without a boarding pass?

We had a nursery/greenhouse business in the area and it only took one time of them stopping our delivery truck and insisting that every plant be unloaded for inspection that we stopped taking shortcuts thru airport property!

Ah!... I knew there was I rule breaker past in you!...

Edited by sfokevin

Update....left on foot from Airport Plaza at 14:30, got my permit, and was back in front Central by 15:30. I'm glad I did it in advance, since I have a very late flight. Was able to get my fourth use out of my last set of PP photos...He thought he had me going to the copy machine, because my departure card partially covered the corner of the visa, but I had another copy. It was quite hot in there, pretty civilized, but it seems like there is always one person, with two passports trying to do something in a grey area. Also, it appears they are re-building a large service station across the street, complete with mini-mart, so that will be a great improvement over the monopoly that little crowded shop in the back has. Also, looks like smoking is frowned upon, unless you are outside the gate.

TM13 is for permanent residents, TM8 is for everyone else....and if you are on visa for purposes of retirement; put "retired" in occupation, even if you are going to work back home for a few months. And I've seen that come up before.."retired" always seems to be what they are looking for; don't rattle their cage.

Edited by bangmai