Da Lat Vietnam?

sante

I just got an email from a friend who lives in Chiang Mai but is now traveling in Vietnam. He raves about Da Lat, saying the air is clean, countryside beautiful and weather temperate. Sounds good to me. Any recommendations for moderate/cheap but clean & quiet accommodations there?

The current smog plus heat in Chiang Mai is awful so maybe I'll depart suddenly to Da Lat. What's the quickest air route from CM? Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated. Thanks

]

Most of the hotels over there are cheap and value for money. I stayed at my dream hotel, cost $9 a night and included breakfast. No aircon, large bed and good toilet facility. Only problem is no lift so need to use stairs. Some hotels have lifts and cost around $30 a night. Very nice city with very nice people. Cooling but will be raining season from next month till October. Very fresh fruits and meat.

I was there in nov and it was 15 to 26 c. I never saw a fly, mosquito or any insect all the while. I was there for 3 weeks. Only bad point is lack of things to do at night, but if you like a clean life, that is the place to be. You can buy a can of tiger beer for .50c at the big c.

Will be back this year again.

Today the temp is 15 to 30c

Edited by Cobragold
  • Like 1

I stayed at Hoa Binh Peace hotel when i was in Da Lat...basically just known as "Peace Hotel" with the "Peace Cafe" downstairs and loads of Easy Rider's hanging around telling their war stories, travel tale's and so on.....i remember the food here been possibly the nicest i'd ever tasted anywhere in my whole life >> chicken with black pepper, mango and rice and a couple of beer's to wash it down biggrin.png Room's were pretty good with hot water shower's and i doubt you'd ever need A/C...think i paid about $8 a night. It was quiet enough but with enough bar's around and interesting market at the top of the road...ever tried turtle's eggs while the're still attached to it's headless mother's corpse ??

I'm guessing the best way to get their would be fly into Saigon / Ho Chi Minh and then get the bus to Da Lat up through the mountains...if you dare !

Top Tip...get yourself a motorbike and cruise around the countryside and mountains.....you'll feel Cooler than Poppa Smurf himself thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I spent a few days there several years ago. Loved it. Not much to do as it's a small town, but a wonderful escape with great veggies. I took the bus up from HCMC and it was fine. Hired a guy to take me around on a bike for a day tour. Fantastic!

• Like 1

One major problem in dalat is that of medical care or Lack of it. While I was there last nov, a Scottish guy had a heart attack and went to the local hospital. They was some complications and he was supposed to get evacuated to Saigon , he died before they could do that. If you are there you will notice that there is no clinics or any medical docs around except for a big hospital. The docs there are ok but they lack the latest equipment to do much. I counted about 5 dental clinics in town. So if you have any medical issues ,this might be a problem.

Edited by Cobragold

Sounds great and I'm seriously considering having a look as soon as I can. Already been to HCMC - VungTao and Hanoi - Halong Bay but next trip to VN I want to go to Dalat & the central region (Hoi An, Hue)

I stayed at Hoa Binh Peace hotel when i was in Da Lat...basically just known as "Peace Hotel" with the "Peace Cafe" downstairs and loads of Easy Rider's hanging around telling their war stories, travel tale's and so on.....i remember the food here been possibly the nicest i'd ever tasted anywhere in my whole life >> chicken with black pepper, mango and rice and a couple of beer's to wash it down biggrin.png Room's were pretty good with hot water shower's and i doubt you'd ever need A/C...think i paid about $8 a night. It was quiet enough but with enough bar's around and interesting market at the top of the road...ever tried turtle's eggs while the're still attached to it's headless mother's corpse ??

I'm guessing the best way to get their would be fly into Saigon / Ho Chi Minh and then get the bus to Da Lat up through the mountains...if you dare !

Top Tip...get yourself a motorbike and cruise around the countryside and mountains.....you'll feel Cooler than Poppa Smurf himself thumbsup.gif

Sounds great !

• 2 weeks later...

good for a vacation. you are liable to get bored after a month or two. the nightime activities are VERY local, like karaoke type stuff i was not keen on exploring. lots of karaoke if your into that. some nice weather and biking. people seemed happy vacation/honeymoon spot. i dont think i saw any "expats" around, more just people passing through on holiday. easy bus ride from hcmc.