Legal action threatened over photo of family-not-dumped-by-taxi

webfact

The person who posted the story on facebook got the picture and the story from the policeman at the scene, who never bothered to ask the folks what they were doing there. Why not threaten him with legal action?

Legal action threatened over photo of family-not-dumped-by-taxi

....resulting in a lawsuit and possible criminal penalties for the person who first shared it.

Why not threaten him with legal action?

It seems they have, already.

can thaivisa or that coconut be sued for spreading lies with monitary gains as goal ?

yes.

although I would guess TVF's lawyers would argue that they were just reprinting another source and would no reason to know that a "reputable" news outlet like coconuts was printing anything but the truth

Quite right, and I'm sure that is exactly what TVF would do.

It's futile, though. Under Thai law (and pretty well all defamation laws, everywhere), repeating the defamation is EXACTLY the same as uttering it first. Just yesterday, the court sentenced the quite well-known TV host Woody to a year (suspended) because he repeated a defamatory statement. He did indeed try on the "I'm a journalist and I was only repeating" and the judge nearly fell over and hurt himself quite seriously, he was laughing so hard.

That said, Thaivisa and all other jackal/vulture media aren't going to be sued or even intimidated over this particular case.

difference would be that TVF post the story as a reprint of the original, and quote the source ie. TVF says that coconuts says ....

therefore TVF is reporting fact because coconuts did in fact say that

If these adults really asked to be dropped off on the expressway, then they should be punished for endangering their helpless child. Road accidents occur daily and all around the world. Idiot tourists doing idiot things. Seriously bad parenting.

Where are the members now, who, in their wisdom and without facts, were adamant that this occurred, so much so that they howled down, criticised and denigrated others without accepting that those others had different points of view. Even when evidence came to light that the storey was a fabrication, some just would not let go nor accept that they were wrong and kept on and with their churlish chides, regardless of how foolish they continued to look.

What is it with some, just because someone has a different outlook, they apparently need to have some wise man explain to them the reasons for them being wrong. It appears that unless you think with the pack, then whatever you post is scoffed at because you dare to think differently. Now, if you do, then they will attack you and if you dare to challenge back, watch out because this is when the name calling starts, the post is rubbished, because it is meaningless and the so called expert alleges it is unintelligible, and from then on the attacks become relentless. I think some try to solicit angry responses and when unable to, the remarks passed become more intense and highly derogatory.

Maybe some of the posters, who were adamant as to the factualness of the incident and then carried on the way they did, should have a long hard look at themselves and then before coming to and posting such unproven and fallacious statements they should engage their brain before opening their mouths. Now with the police threatening legal action, it would be appropriate for a few to beware of the knock on the door. One never knows and it would be nice to see a few taught a lesson. But so be it in a day on TVF but at least I know who had the last laugh, and no I won't gloat over it. whistling.gif

Oh pipe down & relax. Until we hear from the tourists in the picture themselves, we still haven't necessarily heard the whole story. You'd think this posting of the driver's account would've taught everyone a lesson. But no, you're just as bad and guilty of the same thing as those you're so self-righteously excoriating. ... who probably wouldn't be sounding off as they do without the mountain of tourist misadventure at the hands of local taxi drivers, police, scam artists, etc., that's preceded this for years now.

In a related story, Thai media will be sued for not reporting the truth regarding at least two stories, gist of which were 1. "There will be no coup" and purported to be by same person 2. "I will not be PM"

3 Thailand land of smileswhistling.gif

If these adults really asked to be dropped off on the expressway, then they should be punished for endangering their helpless child. Road accidents occur daily and all around the world. Idiot tourists doing idiot things. Seriously bad parenting.

Yeah punish them, make them have 2 weeks in Thailand..............oh wait!!

I don't know about all you skeptics out there or whether or not you live in Bangkok ... but for sure, I was kicked out of a taxi on the expressway, with my bag, because I refused to pay when the driver renegotiated the price and wanted 600 baht to take me from Don Muang to lower Sukhumvit. This was in 2007, on my third trip to Bangkok. I can't believe it hasn't happened to anyone else.

No idea on this particular story but yeh I have seen 1 person dumped on the highway & countless forced out of taxis due to pricing or other issues !

Any decent van driver would refuse to let people out on tollway like that as illegal I would of thought. I used a cheap van to BKK once & had farang lady who wanted dumping on highway as easy point for her skip over bollards & get to road she wanted, no way driver would do it as didn't want any hassle or comeback so he went out of way to get get off highway & connect to road she wanted & drop her at safe point, Know that is what they all should do within reason.

Certainly not all facts about this incident are known but the bad publicity is more than deserved & cries of legal action is typical thai way of trying save some face !

Where are the members now, who, in their wisdom and without facts, were adamant that this occurred, so much so that they howled down, criticised and denigrated others without accepting that those others had different points of view. Even when evidence came to light that the storey was a fabrication, some just would not let go nor accept that they were wrong and kept on and with their churlish chides, regardless of how foolish they continued to look.

What is it with some, just because someone has a different outlook, they apparently need to have some wise man explain to them the reasons for them being wrong. It appears that unless you think with the pack, then whatever you post is scoffed at because you dare to think differently. Now, if you do, then they will attack you and if you dare to challenge back, watch out because this is when the name calling starts, the post is rubbished, because it is meaningless and the so called expert alleges it is unintelligible, and from then on the attacks become relentless. I think some try to solicit angry responses and when unable to, the remarks passed become more intense and highly derogatory.

Maybe some of the posters, who were adamant as to the factualness of the incident and then carried on the way they did, should have a long hard look at themselves and then before coming to and posting such unproven and fallacious statements they should engage their brain before opening their mouths. Now with the police threatening legal action, it would be appropriate for a few to beware of the knock on the door. One never knows and it would be nice to see a few taught a lesson. But so be it in a day on TVF but at least I know who had the last laugh, and no I won't gloat over it. whistling.gif

Go take it up with the person who originally spread the story with the incorrect information.

Then get back to marking homework.

• Like 1

Can someone a little more familiar with that end of Suk fill me in as to exactly what the parents might have been expecting to find on Suk 71 Rd ? I used to walk to On Nut from Soi 22 but didnt venture any further than the shopping centre - 71 looks fairly nondescript from the Google Maps street views but perhaps there is a crisis centre for lost hippies that I'm unaware of.

Can someone a little more familiar with that end of Suk fill me in as to exactly what the parents might have been expecting to find on Suk 71 Rd ? I used to walk to On Nut from Soi 22 but didnt venture any further than the shopping centre - 71 looks fairly nondescript from the Google Maps street views but perhaps there is a crisis centre for lost hippies that I'm unaware of.

hippies have shaved head? i have been leading a sheltered life and am a bit out of touch

"He said he was paid THB2,000 to drive 13 tourists from the Rong Kluea Market in Sa Kaeo province to Khaosan Road on March 16"

The real crime is to have 13 people in a van for 4 hours!

Please be so kind to read my post #130 on this threat:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/810531-foreign-tourists-allegedly-dumped-on-tollway-by-thai-taxi/page-6

My story was not in the news so I am still waiting for police to act. Unfortunately that will never happen just as in so many other cases.

OK, bye bye, sorry to disturb. You can go back to bed now and dream away.

I had the pleasure of reading your post when it was initially posted it. Not saying that it didn't happen but what you have posted is hardly factual however, without evidence to sustain or refute you allegations one must be courteous and accept what you have posted. As for being a dreamer, hardly, I'm a realist but thanks for your pleasantries and little piece of attempted humour.

Edited by Si Thea01

Whose going to sue who? The 'alleged' taxi driver was not identified. Will the Taxi Drivers Association (if there is one) sue. Perhaps an offence has been committed under the Computer Crimes Act. Who knows, who cares?

Boonmee, the van driver obviously assumes that the story put around about them being dumped on the side of the road could implicate him and his business now that it has been revealed that it was he who transported them to that point. They got out against his advice but that is not what the original story maintained. He will sue who ever posted the picture and the story when, if ever, thay are traced.

hippies have shaved head? i have been leading a sheltered life and am a bit out of touch

The hippie movement gave way to the punk counterculture, but I dont know that 'Punk Crisis Centre' has the same ring to it. Bikers are another throwback to the 60s and many of them have shaved heads - it was always about the freedom to express yourself and it just so happened that long hair was seen as a manifestation of that freedom when most men had conservatively cut short hair. I could post a photo of Charlie Manson with a shaved head, but he was a would-be hippie from the day he was released from jail in '67. Many outlaw bikers were still espousing pseudo-hippie values well into the 1990s, but I dont know if there are any 'real' hippies left in 2015 : it was supposed to be about something beyond getting arrested for being stoned and naked.

Without the story of the actual tourists, your post holds no validity.

I knew you couldn't resist and thank you for taking time to read the post and then provide your response. It's always a pleasure to see you and the usual suspects ( like thinkers) congratulating each other whenever one of you respond with a little snippet of wisdom. And no, there is no sarcasm implied. I wouldn't lie to you.

Oh pipe down & relax. Until we hear from the tourists in the picture themselves, we still haven't necessarily heard the whole story. You'd think this posting of the driver's account would've taught everyone a lesson. But no, you're just as bad and guilty of the same thing as those you're so self-righteously excoriating. ... who probably wouldn't be sounding off as they do without the mountain of tourist misadventure at the hands of local taxi drivers, police, scam artists, etc., that's preceded this for years now.

When I noted that it was you responding I did exactly that, relaxed, but first I had to take a Valium before sitting down so I could digest the usual lecture that you seem to articulate to someone whose perception of matters is different to yours. Now, with the pipe down bit, are you telling me to be quiet or put my pipe down, if the latter, don't smoke, if the former, a little obnoxious on your behalf, don't you think?

If you wish to be sanctimonious, then fine, but I don't need a lesson in what has occurred or is alleged to have occurred to tourists in Thailand. I am fully aware of the problems, some of which have been enacted by those you have described. But please tell me, why don't you mention the allegations that many tourists put out but are later proved to be exaggerated or at the worst, totally fabricated. Or doesn't that fit the bill? But then none of this is relevant to the current scenario, so why introduce it?

I knew you couldn't resist and thank you for taking time to read the post and then provide your response. It's always a pleasure to see you and the usual suspects ( like thinkers) congratulating each other whenever one of you respond with a little snippet of wisdom. And no, there is no sarcasm implied. I wouldn't lie to you.

Good to see that we are getting into a more constructive discussion here. All that bickering makes no one happy. Calling my response a snippet of wisdom is a nice and implies that you agree that without the backpackers' side of the story any assumption is fruitless, one sided and not valid.

I still find it strange though that a driver, who carries the responsibility over its passengers, would dump/let go a family with child on the motorway. As you know this is completely off limits for motorcycles and pedestrians. With your 30 years experience in law enforcement (now I understand your occasional contentious tone) you must agree that the van driver should have warned the authorities?

Unbelievable is the only word that comes to mind at this present moment about yours and the other paper with a farang forum. You go on and on with a story about nothing, but you cannot follow up on sensitive, newsworthy stories that effects the readers. You are Junta influenced, Junta gagged and Junta paid. Grow a pair for everyone sake.

Unbelievable is the only word that comes to mind at this present moment about yours and the other paper with a farang forum. You go on and on with a story about nothing, but you cannot follow up on sensitive, newsworthy stories that effects the readers. You are Junta influenced, Junta gagged and Junta paid. Grow a pair for everyone sake.

You're not doing any better I might say.

did read that various other people on the forum had similar experience of being kicked out of a taxi on the highway.

i like to add my experience. One time i arrived at night at the bus station in Bangkok with the Thai wife and baby and took a taxi to return home in Silom. Just a short ride later the taxi driver demanded cash money right there and now and when we refused he pulled a knife and we were forced to leave the taxi at the highway. We took the license number and went to the police the next day, anybody really thinks that we did hear ever again from the police, desapite being threatened with a knife?

Threatening with legal action is nothing but sending the message to journalists and bloggers that don't you dare to post anything negative about Thailand or you will regret it. We see it all the time. Anybody foolish enough to believe these tourists weren't dumped just because a Thai driver conveniently shows up and tells these tourists asked to get out of the bus? Anyone ever tried to leave a bus on the highway, anyone ever succeeded? Get real. a Thai van driver doesn't stop and let a tourist out on the highway.

Reminds me of the regular stories that show up in the media and ex pat forums about these Thai taxi drivers that find a bundle of money left by a Japanese passenger and return it to the police, who, in return return it to the Japanese tourist. Yeah right.. All what matters is image, no matter if it has to be fabricated as in many cases.

Good to see that we are getting into a more constructive discussion here. All that bickering makes no one happy. Calling my response a snippet of wisdom is a nice and implies that you agree that without the backpackers' side of the story any assumption is fruitless, one sided and not valid.

I still find it strange though that a driver, who carries the responsibility over its passengers, would dump/let go a family with child on the motorway. As you know this is completely off limits for motorcycles and pedestrians. With your 30 years experience in law enforcement (now I understand your occasional contentious tone) you must agree that the van driver should have warned the authorities?

Finally got around to replying. Yes, I have to admit that every now and again there are snippets of wisdom, but that does not mean I agree. Can I run a few things past you? Firstly, we have a story that no one knew anything about, not even EXAT, until a named but to date, a still anonymous Face Book poster, released. Does anyone know anything about this person? I don't. So why is his allegations taken seriously?

Next, we have a photograph taken of an unidentified family, on an unidentified motorway, somewhere in Bangkok, where it is an unidentified driver, allegedly asked them to vacate an unidentified taxi. No reason given. The poster alleged that the family hailed the taxi at Swampy and was going to a Bangkok destination and provided a lot of information which could suggest he had intimate knowledge of the matter by either travelling with the family, or was informed by at the scene. Both unlikely scenarios without proof to sustain the allegations.

Then when these people were allegedly abandoned the poster meets an unidentified police officer, who just happened by and takes a single photo showing three people on a motorway. No one else in the exposure and no other photos, why? A single photo is not proof that a family was abandoned anywhere, least of all on a motorway. There is also an unidentified vehicle in the photo, which is also meaningless, with one exception, it has stopped near the family.

Now if the Face Book poster had all these details and was able to get a photo from an obliging policemen who, for whatever reason, elected to part with it, why has he posted scant details. If one reads the post carefully then what, if any, assumptions can be drawn? That maybe the poster was with the family at all times, even at the scene; that a photo was taken by a third party, who provided it so he could raise his allegations on Face Book. No photo of the poster, why, don't people normally show photos of themselves on this site? Not this boy, even though named, he has elected to remain anonymous, and since police and EXAT involvement, he has apparently deleted all references from his Face Book Page. Hardly the actions of someone who has posted a genuine storey Does anyone know his bona fides?

After Police and EXAT carried out their investigations it was ascertained that the family did not come from Swampy but travelled in a van, not a taxi, driven by Boonmee Rakdaeng, from the Rong Kluea Market in Sa Kaeo province to Khaosan Road, but left the van of their own volition at the Asoke 4 Toll Plaza. He also added he thought they needed to use a toilet, but when he stopped the vehicle they picked up their belongings and left whilst indicating they wanted to go to Soi Sukhumvit 71.

So when looking at the whole scenario, the only person identified is a van driver, who gave his version of the incident prior to the family being photographed on a motorway. The only policeman identified was the one who is undertaking inquiries as to the bona fides of the Face Book Poster, with the possible intentions of charging him under the computer crimes act.

If one looks at the matter, logically and follows the sequence of events, the conflicting stories, then the whole cast, with the exception of the van driver and investigating police officer, remain anonymous. That the site and vehicles allegedly forming part of the scenario also remain unidentified, then there is not, in any way, an inference could be drawn to sustain the initial allegations. What conclusions could one be able to legitimately reach even if the family was interviewed? The whole storey is a total mishmash.

The poster also failed to indicate how he obtained the photo. Did the policeman leave, have it developed, then return and give it to him.. Did he provide it to him after it was developed, away from the site. Given what the poster states it could be suggested that he was with the family at all times. If so, why did he not provide assistance to them. If one looks at his allegations it can be seen that he has, at the very least, painted a version that suggests that somewhere, not disclosed, he was able to glean all the details from the family which has enabled him to post his allegations on Face Book He did all this without obtaining any details of the family, so should the need arise for him to prove what he alleged, he cannot. But instead, he obtains a photo, from where no one know and then spruiks his allegations on a site that has so many fabricated scenarios being proffered on it daily. So he elects to post something that, in law, has no substance and no inference can be drawn, yet many have accepted as gospel and have done so without any proven facts being put before them. I would classify it as a rumour, as it is not even worthy of being referred to as an allegation.

I hope this is not too long for you, and that you understand what I have put down, as I remember what you once stated. And no, I don't believe I am contentious or have a contentious tone. It's just that from my experience I have a sound knowledge of what to look for and what needs to be clarified before one can come to any conclusion or tries to rebut another without any evidence to sustain their argument.