Koh Samui: British man drowns at the Angthong Marine Park

webfact

British man drowns at the Angthong Marine Park

British-man-drowns-on-snorkelling-tour-t

KOH SAMUI: -- This morning a British man has drowned off the island of Koh Wua in the Angthong National Marine Park. He was travelling as part of a snorkeling tour trip to park with his wife.

Early reports suggest the man, thought to be in his late 40’s was snorkeling unsupervised without a life jacket. The crew were alerted that the man was missing from the group, when he was found it was too late to revive him. His body has just been brought back to Koh Samui via the Bangrak Pier.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-03-25

Sad, but to say unsupervised and without a life jacket would not be true.... there are at least 3 or 4 guides per boat... which in the type of boat above would hold 30 to 35 people...

Some guides would have been helping those you cannot swim well....

All these day tour boats have life jackets, and it would have been his choice not to wear one....

Angtong%2520Marine%2520Park%2520-1590.jp

More than enough life jackets to go around ... not just on the tour boats but for Kayaks riders too ....

People some times think it's cool not to wear one! (just like bike helmets) This not only ended his life, but ruined the day for everyone on the trip...sad.png

Angtong%2520Marine%2520Park%2520-1268.jp

• Like 2

What annoys me about those who choose not to wear a helmet (or life jacket) is that they expect those around them to take care of them by not hitting them or injuring them....but choose not to take care or protect themselves.

I am only talking in general and my condolences to this man's wife family and friends. RIP.

• Like 1

hi

totally agree with above

i never snorkel with a life jacket

my wife does as shes not a good swimmer

so dont go blaming some safety regulation [or not ] blan blah blah

its personal choice as theres enough jackets usually for all

i also choose not to wear a helmet, and i dont expect others just to not hit me or injure because of my choice

i expect them not to hit me or injure me weather or not im wearing a helmet

what a ridiculous attitude to take while driving /riding

Most of the people on these trips, have probably never snorkeled before.... they are not going to be going below water, on their first try at doing this...

Most would be happy with their first experience being on top of the water... where there is still lots to see... mostly fish at the Marine park, stops... Koh Toa trips offer more coral and fish ... It is more interesting having both... but first timers are going to be very nervous .... the guides are generally very good at helping.

Condolences to the family of the man who died...