Thaksin may greet Prayut with smile if they meet in Singapore

webfact

Thaksin will not attend the official ceremony because he was not invited

In reality the two were known to be close so every liklihood he was invited.

thaksin.jpg

Of course you'd know all this. Told you Thaksin was a good bloke no doubt.

I'm sure Thaksin's PR machine will claim that. Just like they tried to link him to Nelson Mandela. Anything to try and legitimize the criminal.

In fact he's right. In his last book, Lee wrote positively about Thaksin as a business-minded person who was going up against the old-time elites that were holding the country back. Hard to believe not everyone shares your view of the man, eh?

In fact, this is what Lee wrote in his 2013 book: "Thaksin is much shrewder and smarter than his critics. That’s why he tapped the northeast to overcome the resistance from them."

Many people here seem to have a hard time imagining or accepting that Lee Kwan Yew might have held Thaksin in high regard. You may want to read this portion of his 2013 book: https://<URL Automatically Removed>/2013/08/12/politics-3-singapores-iconic-figure-lee-kuan-yew-latest-on-thailand-thaksin/

For those of you who don't like reading more than a few lines, here are some choice quotes:

"What Thaksin did was to upset the apple cart of the Thai political status quo by diverting to the poorer parts of the country resources that had previously been hogged by Bangkok and its middle and upper-class residents."

"All he did was to awaken the people to the gulf — and the unfairness of it — and to offer policy solutions to bridge it."

"the latest general election, held in 2011, which handed Thaksin’s sister Yingluck the premiership, was a clear vindication by the Thai electorate of the new path that Thaksin had chosen for Thailand."

"He is a hands-on leader who works hard to get results quickly. He trusts his business experience and instincts more than economic theories"

• Like 2

I guess more like "Thaksin may laugh his a.. off...."!

why?

I don't know...maybe, because the junta and the dear leader make TS look better by the minute, with all their mistakes, fumbles and foot-in-mouth-comments?!

Maybe?!

thaksin.jpg

I'm sure Thaksin's PR machine will claim that. Just like they tried to link him to Nelson Mandela. Anything to try and legitimize the criminal.

In fact he's right. In his last book, Lee wrote positively about Thaksin as a business-minded person who was going up against the old-time elites that were holding the country back. Hard to believe not everyone shares your view of the man, eh?

In fact, this is what Lee wrote in his 2013 book: "Thaksin is much shrewder and smarter than his critics. Thats why he tapped the northeast to overcome the resistance from them."

Lee had very strong views regarding the establishment if you read his book "One Man's view of the World". I qoute "arrival of Thaksin changed the politics of Thailand when before that the establishment dominated all

sides of the political competition and governed largely to the benefit of the nation capital". He had very strong statements against coups and warned that repeated coups has led to political instability. I think all ASEAN leaders are not pleased with the situation in Thailand but kept silent in the spirit of non interference in domestic issues. I hope Prayuth will not creat an international incident in Singapore with his foolishness.

• Like 1

thaksin.jpg

In fact, this is what Lee wrote in his 2013 book: "Thaksin is much shrewder and smarter than his critics. Thats why he tapped the northeast to overcome the resistance from them."

Lee had very strong views regarding the establishment if you read his book "One Man's view of the World". I qoute "arrival of Thaksin changed the politics of Thailand when before that the establishment dominated all

sides of the political competition and governed largely to the benefit of the nation capital". He had very strong statements against coups and warned that repeated coups has led to political instability. I think all ASEAN leaders are not pleased with the situation in Thailand but kept silent in the spirit of non interference in domestic issues. I hope Prayuth will not creat an international incident in Singapore with his foolishness.

The greatest insult to any leader is to be ignored with the spotlight on a past Prime Minister?

thaksin.jpg

Er, no need because LKY was on record as having higher regard for Thaksin than any other Thai politician.

Is it my imagination but are not the little band of military cheerleaders getting even more hysterical than normal? Perhaps it's not surprising as the object of their adoration has become an international embarrassment and laughing stock.

Would that have been around the time Thaksin was taking out a loan at higher interest rates over a longer time period from the Singapore government to pay off the IMF loan? Followed by the sale of his family corporation to Singapore, after he changed the law of course.

How very accommodating of him. Easy to see how such a chap would be held in high regard, not that there was much competition among his peers.

Wonder if Mr. Lee still thought the same as time went on? We shall never know.

Prayut creates his own problems with his "unique" style and makes Boris Johnson look eloquent and thoughtful. But, having a convicted criminal fugitive, wanted on much more serious criminal charges, actually running the government by Skype, openly dictating policy and reshuffling cabinets whenever it suited, was even more embarrassing.

Edited by Baerboxer

Would that have been around the time Thaksin was taking out a loan at higher interest rates over a longer time period from the Singapore government to pay off the IMF loan? Followed by the sale of his family corporation to Singapore, after he changed the law of course.

How very accommodating of him. Easy to see how such a chap would be held in high regard, not that there was much competition among his peers.

Prayut creates his own problems with his "unique" style and makes Boris Johnson look eloquent and thoughtful. But, having a convicted criminal fugitive, wanted on much more serious criminal charges, actually running the government by Skype, openly dictating policy and reshuffling cabinets whenever it suited, was even more embarrassing.

In fact, Lee still 'spoke' highly of Thaksin as recently as 2013 (the year his last book was published). See my earlier post here which has a link to some excerpts and some quotes.

As much as Lee had his own set of foibles (to put it lightly), he was not the type to express respect for someone simply because of a past 'business deal'. In fact, he was a man who did not express respect easily at all. I think that he did see in Thaksin somewhat of a kindred spirit. You have to remember that Lee and his hi-so English-speaking crew came to power in through an 'unnatural alliance' with the communist-leaning, Chinese-speaking trade unionists. He called this "riding the tiger" because he was consciously taking advantage of a popular ally that could turn on him in the future and kill his vision for the nation. [in fact, once he made it into power, communist societies were quickly outlawed and the trade unions were emasculated and brought under government control]. Lee expressed some genuine sympathy for the people of Isaan and their political disenfranchisement, but I suspect he also saw a parallel in how Thaksin rode in on their numerical majority to shake up the system.

thaksin.jpg

Er, no need because LKY was on record as having higher regard for Thaksin than any other Thai politician.

Is it my imagination but are not the little band of military cheerleaders getting even more hysterical than normal? Perhaps it's not surprising as the object of their adoration has become an international embarrassment and laughing stock.

Just what are you implying BB. Tamesak Holding has a investment portfolio of USD177 B and the Shin sales was less than 1% of their investment portfolio. Peanuts really. AndI like to see a link that Singapore syndicated the IMF payback loan. You are trying to instigate something from nothing.

Lee is pragmatic and honest with his opinion. He knows how to differentiate between money and power corruption. Both are wrong in his eyes. Don't think Prayuth has unique style, just that the job is totally beyond him and his expertise and intelligence.

• Like 1

Which foolishness?

It would seem Thaksin and his Pheu Thai party 'speak-my-words' people are creating a charged atmosphere by suggesting that IF Thaksin meets PM Prayut in Singapore he MAY smile at him.

I'm sure the Singapore Authorities do not want any irregularities during their and their's mourning for the Founding Father. They will keep private persons from making embarrassing noises or being seen waving some fingers.

• Like 2

Lee had very strong views regarding the establishment if you read his book "One Man's view of the World". I qoute "arrival of Thaksin changed the politics of Thailand when before that the establishment dominated allsides of the political competition and governed largely to the benefit of the nation capital". He had very strong statements against coups and warned that repeated coups has led to political instability. I think all ASEAN leaders are not pleased with the situation in Thailand but kept silent in the spirit of non interference in domestic issues. I hope Prayuth will not creat an international incident in Singapore with his foolishness.

Which foolishness?

It would seem Thaksin and his Pheu Thai party 'speak-my-words' people are creating a charged atmosphere by suggesting that IF Thaksin meets PM Prayut in Singapore he MAY smile at him.

I'm sure the Singapore Authorities do not want any irregularities during their and their's mourning for the Founding Father. They will keep private persons from making embarrassing noises or being seen waving some fingers.

Rubi, I know Singapore has strict rules and even so during this sad time but I am sure they will allow smile. Just hope Thaksin will control his smile and not break out into hysterical laugh at the clumsy ways the General is running the country and the regular gaffes.

If Mr. P had any brains he would purposely seek him out and have a constructive conversation with him on improvements to be made with the Thai govt. as well as other relative subjects.

But we all know that pride will prevent this.

Remember the ole saying, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

of course then there's the other saying too

"Once a thai always a thai"

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

If Mr. P had any brains he would purposely seek him out and have a constructive conversation with him on improvements to be made with the Thai govt. as well as other relative subjects.

But we all know that pride will prevent this.

Remember the ole saying, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

of course then there's the other saying too

"Once a thai always a thai"

Josh,

The proper honorific would be General or Prime Minister not Mr.

Your argument has multiple flaws. The most significant one is that it would be inappropriate to publicly meet with a wanted fugitive.

We, as the general public, have no idea if they have ever spoken or corresponded. I personally doubt that they have, directly. I don't doubt that backchannel communication has occurred either directly (someone is tasked to deliver a message) or indirectly ( something is said to a Thaksin insider without being told to pass it on) and vice versa.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

The greatest insult to any self appointed leader is to be ignored with the spotlight on a past democratically elected Prime Minister?

Which one would be the democratically elected one?

As long as I know Thaksin was never correct elected, it was always a full scale vote buying.....

• Like 1

Lee had very strong views regarding the establishment if you read his book "One Man's view of the World". I qoute "arrival of Thaksin changed the politics of Thailand when before that the establishment dominated allsides of the political competition and governed largely to the benefit of the nation capital". He had very strong statements against coups and warned that repeated coups has led to political instability. I think all ASEAN leaders are not pleased with the situation in Thailand but kept silent in the spirit of non interference in domestic issues. I hope Prayuth will not creat an international incident in Singapore with his foolishness.

Which foolishness?

Rubi, I know Singapore has strict rules and even so during this sad time but I am sure they will allow smile. Just hope Thaksin will control his smile and not break out into hysterical laugh at the clumsy ways the General is running the country and the regular gaffes.

Oh, I'm sure Thaksin smiles a lot. His government managed to offload hundreds of billions of Baht to the 'right' people, spent lots of time on big plans and trying to get his amnesty and mostly ignored economic fundamentals and the general in a Worldwide economic gloom is stuck with cleaning up.

Anyway, this topic and a few others seem to have given lots of posters the opportunity to put Thaksin in the limelight again. Sadly only to have him smile. Poor Thailand.

PS may I ask again, "which foolishness" ?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

The greatest insult to any self appointed leader is to be ignored with the spotlight on a past democratically elected Prime Minister?

As long as I know Thaksin was never correct elected, it was always a full scale vote buying.....

Struggling to find closure? All countries refer Thaksin and Yingluck as elected Prime Mnister and Prayuth as coup leader. All countries will welcome elected leaders but many will close their doors on unelected coup leaders.

Vote buying disproven to be the reason a million times over- even by democrats!

Next!

• Like 2

C'mon Surapong tell the truth for once in your life.

Thaksin will not attend the official ceremony because he was not invited as he is a criminal on the run.

The only one that still cares about him are his lapdogs the so called red leaders.

I'm guessing the reason Thaksin won't attend the official ceremony is because he's not official any more? I do wonder at Prayuth being an "official" it would seem by calling him that or acknowledging him as that it gives his status a nod at being official?. I understand he is re-writing the laws so that his coup was not illegal and all that but according to the law of the time it wasn't legal. So really, he's just another (unconvicted at the moment) criminal himself, no matter how much hot air he blows up your ass

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Struggling to find closure? All countries refer Thaksin and Yingluck as elected Prime Mnister and Prayuth as coup leader. All countries will welcome elected leaders but many will close their doors on unelected coup leaders.

Which shows that they failed homework class, miserably.

Good examples: AP, Washington Post, The economist.

Edited by scorecard